Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hypostatization

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hypostatization
n : regarding something abstract as a material thing

Given that humans obviously have this tendency in bucketfuls, what effect do you think it has on modern propoganda? ("State" and advertising)

Personally I think that it's the source of "government" power, either directly, or through it's ability to influence the mind of a handful who then use force or the threat of force on everybody else.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you do requests, only this song is getting a bit boring now.
    couldntgiveaflyingfuckery

n: something that many of the members of thesite.org message boards think quite often
    klintock wrote:
    hypostatization
    n : regarding something abstract as a material thing

Given that humans obviously have this tendency in bucketfuls, what effect do you think it has on modern propoganda? ("State" and advertising)

Personally I think that it's the source of "government" power, either directly, or through it's ability to influence the mind of a handful who then use force or the threat of force on everybody else.

gowekajfvjo;snf[ajvcnf'[sicnfdjfbusa[[gvnfxcspofdnvsdgn

^^ thats the answer...humans are obviously too stupid to understand deep complex things such as your mind so the answer must be a load of jibberish and it is...makes as much sense as the shite you come out with...
    lol.
    If you are going to claim that "state" doesn't exist, then you have to raise an argument that illustrates that they do not.

A long word doesn't prove anything. Abstract ideas "exist" in the material world. Prove otherwise, or shut up.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    If you are asking: Is government controlled Media and various Propaganda the source of Governments power?

DUUUUUUUUUUH!

How the fuck else do you think they do it. They brainwash idiots into thinking they are the rightful people to be there. Its how Politics works, all ideologies do it. Some do it better than others.

If they didn't tell us they belonged there, we'd chuck em out. Right?
    He is trying to claim that government and state only exist because they "brainwash" people into believing that they exist.

He hasn't given any further rationale, and an attack on a system that has been in place since 1648 needs some rationale.
    ONLY through brainwashing? Hmm, thats a new one. And unarguable sofar as I can see.
    "If you are going to claim that "state" doesn't exist, then you have to raise an argument that illustrates that they do not.

A long word doesn't prove anything. Abstract ideas "exist" in the material world. Prove otherwise, or shut up."

Okay.

I will use yours. A long word doesn't prove anything. How long a word does it have to be in order to be in the "real world"? Why are you saying that the existence of a word isn't proof and is proof? I am confused.

But for the sake of completeness, lets look at the stars. Now we can name them in groups, say the great bear, or the dipper. This lets us organise our experience of stars. In doing this we have added a layer of complexity that doesn't bear out in the physical world.

The stars have no relationship to each other but what we give them. It is not a fact to say that the organisation in constellations is really there, that is an addition to the real world. So it is with the "state". By talking about it as though all those individuals act as a group you have added to the real world. In the real world their are people who believe, individually, that they are part of a group.

This doesn't make the group exist, or change the individuality of each beleiver.

The "state" hasn't been in existence since 1648 - it's only as old as the oldest person who has faith in it. It's an idea, and so needs a human head to reside in.

"How the fuck else do you think they do it. They brainwash idiots into thinking they are the rightful people to be there. Its how Politics works, all ideologies do it. Some do it better than others."

My point is that there is no "there" for them to be in, and that you thinking that there is is the biggest part of the con.
    No, your missing the point.

You are describing a set of ideals. This is what the Isalmists are fighting for. They have no state enforcing these Ideas.

We do at the moment. Get it now? We can enofrce ours on the masses BECASUE a centralized system to do so exists. They can't, because they don't have that. They just have the ideas.
    klintock i see where you're coming from...ok we get your point...what is your viable aternative to countries that won't cause worldwide anger/shock.loss of culture etc etc...the system is in place...the foundations of life have been established...it's too late to be skeptical,angry at it all...just abuse the fuck out of it so when you die you can just laugh and say "i fucked the system" instead of worrying your whole life about what the system is etc etc
    Well, I think the most important point is that whenever you see someone who is using words like "government" "state" or whatever, you recognise that they are either controlled by he words they use, or are seeking to control others.

A quick and easy way to get around this is to turn the noun back into a verb. -

"government" becomes govern - and then we can ask who is governing who?

We can ask how are they doing it and so on. Taking a very abstarct noun "britain" we can say who is being british to who, how are they being british?

The first viable alternative is to start removing these nouns from our language. They perpetuate themselves. For every activist who goes to change the "government" we have another member of it. Every man in the old days who went to overthrow the king did it to become one. The only man who didn't in english history had to in effect become one because the idea was still alive.

Yeah I am quite happy to "abuse" the "system" the problem being that it's driven most of it's members insane and they are the biggest threat to my daily life. Peering dimly into the future it seems that if this sort of sloppy thinking is allowed to carry on then we are going to get more of what we already got.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    ONLY through brainwashing? Hmm, thats a new one. And unarguable sofar as I can see.

Not really unarguable. How can the state brainwash people into believing in it if it doesn't exist to start with?
    Every nutcase religion or cult (moonies, the guys at Waco, catholics, the army) starts with one charismatic guy who convinces someone else, who convinces someone else and so on.

You need - 1 idea, one group of individuals to convince, and one guy with lots of charm or force. Add time and resistance (which makes ideas more deeply entrenched in most people), simmer at gas mark 8 for a few generations and add resources.

Next take the whole thing for granted and teach the children in a very matter of fact way that your opinions are facts. Not that difficult really.
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah I am quite happy to "abuse" the "system" the problem being that it's driven most of it's members insane and they are the biggest threat to my daily life. Peering dimly into the future it seems that if this sort of sloppy thinking is allowed to carry on then we are going to get more of what we already got.

i don't think the world is so totalitarian and authorative yet that we can't find our own solitude in the things we believe in, i'm sure you have dreams, chase them, forget your reservations about society, just relax and find yourself...
    turlough wrote:
    i don't think the world is so totalitarian and authorative yet that we can't find our own solitude in the things we believe in, i'm sure you have dreams, chase them, forget your reservations about society, just relax and find yourself...

YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking: :shocking:

seeker
    Yeah.

The problem I see with that is -

Your dreams are to a large extent manufactured by things like advertising and the language you use.

The reason that force is so seldom used in "the west" by authorities is most people have been "tamed" and are no threat whatsoever. Most crimes aren't prevented by the police, they are prevented by the idea of the police.

This can easily be seen in any riot. The police lose control quickly because there are never enough of them to suppress even a small group effectively. Once they lose control and are seen to do so all hell breaks loose as more and more people join in. It can take days and the full resources of the boys in blue to return "order" after even a small outbreak.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1717038.stm

There are 130,000 police "controlling" 60million people. If even 1/60th of the population went walkabout they would have to call in the army.
    Thread necromancy can be fun but in this case you guys really need to realise that "government" is a con - from top to bottom, left to right.