Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Terri Schiavo Dies

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I personally know of two people who were told by their doctors to go home and die, there was nothing more that they could do for them.

Three, and two years later, respectively both are still alive - I suppose you would have had them "over-dosed"?
    Not very good doctors then are they? :rolleyes:

I can assure you that when a patient is in their final phase of terminal cancer there is no going back. Same applies to a a number of other diseases and conditions. Nothing, not even "gods" or "miracles" can reverse certain situations. And in those cases the humane and right thing to do is to allow the patient to die quickly, painlessly and peacefully.

And then there is the case of those patients who have given doctors specific instructions to help them die with dignity. In those cases, even if there is a small hope of recovery it does not matter: a person is and should be able to control their life and destiny. And if they have asked the help of a doctor in ending their lives, that help should be provided.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can assure you that when a patient is in their final phase of terminal cancer there is no going back.
    Wrong my friend because both people were diagnosed with terminal cancer and told go home and prepare to die!
    right thing to do is to allow the patient to die quickly, painlessly and peacefully.
    Sounds as though you would have over-dosed them! They've each enjoyed extra years of their life that you and the rest of the Death Brigade would have denied them!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Sounds as though you would have over-dosed them! They've each enjoyed extra years of their life that you and the rest of the Death Brigade would have denied them!
    That's not what it sounded like to me, in fairness. It is possible to die peacefully of cancer with very little pain and no one was advocating taking the lives of those people before their time.

You seem to be so set in your opinions that you just want to believe everyone who disagrees with you would euthanise everyone with a terminal illness but if you ever actually read what was said you'd realise that's not always the case.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    if you ever actually read what was said you'd realise that's not always the case.
    But its the main thrust of their argument. There always seems a desire to seek an overdose rather than think of alternatives.
  • Options
    Only when the alternatives are unthinkably horrible. Like starving to death.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Through suffering we can gain redemption as Jesus did on the Cross for us.

In the name of God we do NOT.

You utter retard, shut up.

I know this was pages ago everyone, just couldn't let it go.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    If a person is only breathing and staying alive because of a ventaliator and there is no brain activity then there is no reason why the machine cannot be turned off.

please explain the moral difference between stopping artificial breathing for a person who cannot breathe for themselves and stopping artificial feeding for someone who cannot feed themselves.

and starving someone to death is not necessarily inhumane. my aunt died a couple of years ago, and after long discussion with her family, who expressed a desire to end her suffering as kindly as possible when she got to the semi conscious horrific pain stage, they ended up sedating her and taking out her drip. essentially dehydration contributed to her death, but she wasn't in any pain, and was not even aware of what was going on. in effect she went to sleep and never woke up.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    But its the main thrust of their argument. There always seems a desire to seek an overdose rather than think of alternatives.

Are you listening at all?

You seem to be under the impression we want to bump off everyone over the age of 60, whacking needles in people left and right.

Easing someone suffering is what hospice doctors do every day, thats what we are arguing they should be able to do in those very rare cases where suffering is prelonged and terminal.
  • Options
    I don’t believe for a moment that Rich Kid really thinks there are any comparisons to be drawn between Harold Shipman and Terri Schiavo. Just in case though:

mur•der
    n.
    The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

and

eu•tha•na•sia
    n.
    The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

One of the above describes Dr Shipman’s behaviour.

(Clue for those who are confused: "Old age isn't an illness")
  • Options
    I don’t believe for a moment that Rich Kid really thinks there are any comparisons to be drawn between Harold Shipman and Terri Schiavo.
    All I'm saying is that Shipman committed mass murder by overdosing frail old ladies, and whats being suggested is that we trun the Hippocratic Oath on its head, and ask a doctor to kill someone with an overdose ("for the best possible of motives" - I hear you cry), instead of acting to prolong life.
    Therein lies the comparison.
  • Options
    No comparison whatsoever mate.
  • Options
    One doctor committing murder by over-dosing, another being asked to kill by over-dosing.
    Both breaking their Hippocratic Oath.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not very good doctors then are they? :rolleyes:

I can assure you that when a patient is in their final phase of terminal cancer there is no going back. Same applies to a a number of other diseases and conditions. Nothing, not even "gods" or "miracles" can reverse certain situations. And in those cases the humane and right thing to do is to allow the patient to die quickly, painlessly and peacefully.

And then there is the case of those patients who have given doctors specific instructions to help them die with dignity. In those cases, even if there is a small hope of recovery it does not matter: a person is and should be able to control their life and destiny. And if they have asked the help of a doctor in ending their lives, that help should be provided.

yup my gdad has lung cancer and needed heart bypass, they couldnt treat one witohut aggravating the other, in the end he died in his sleep and avoided all the misery :) and he was dosed up on morphine even if DRUGS ARE BAD DONT DO DRUGS..... :nervous: