Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

France and the EU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Troubling times in Euroland, the No campaign in France is growing in strength and influence, while Chirac's government falls into disarray.

Pressure for French Non grows

Meanwhile the French continue to run their country into the ground by refusing a sensible (Gadzooks! Something sensible from Brussels!) plan to reform services sector employment laws.

Services Reform

Where does this leave the EU? WHat will happen if the French refuse the constitution? Why are the French so stubborn when it comes to reform?

Comments

• Options
    If France were to vote No it'd be big embarrassment for the French government, being an ardent Constitution supporter and all.

I don't think it will make much of a difference for the rest of Europe, since it is extremely unlikely the Constitution will be approved by all nations concerned. The only question remains who will be the ugly duckling that will vote No (and will save two or three other governments' bacon). Tony Blair would certainly love it if France were to vote Non first, thus saving him from suffering a referendum defeat at home.
  • Options
    Blair is keeping his fingers crossed France goes 'no'. Not only would it be a personal defeat for Chirac (and by many accounts he and Blair loath each other), but it means no need for a referendum in the UK, which the govt would almost certainly loose.
  • Options
    my problem is that as a constitution its way too complicated....

a constitution is the basic rules about who has what rights and powers. thats why i actually like the US one, the EU has policy etc in it as well which i dont like

ill be glad to see a no until someone draws up a good simple way of defining who has what power