Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bad reference

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sweet_gal wrote:
    aww dnt worry ul find a job!! im jobless at the moment 2!! :confused: no1 wna employ me..
    im xpectn call 4rm royal bank scotland they got call centre jobs in birmingham..
    is ur sis still wrkin at that bar?

No she finally quit. Thing is, rent's been payed for this month but is due next month, and if I'm payed monthly it won't come through in time regardless, and I've got no money and already loaned £500 from my parents.
    Cant say I've read ALL of this thread, so maybe I'm repeating, but I have mates that work at Royal Bank Of Scotland in Manchester, the call centre - one of them was actually sacked from his last job, yet he still works there. (I know he was sacked, because he worked with me. :P) My advice is to take them off your CV altogether - act as if they never existed. I've done that with one of my previous jobs.

I thought the only bad thing they could really say in your reference would be in reply to 'Would you employ this person again?' to which they can say no. They can also say if you were dismissed from your job. But I had the impression that references were quite vague anyway.

I also 'know of' someone who works at Barracuda Bar - but I don't recall her mentioning how bad it is.
    Cant say I've read ALL of this thread, so maybe I'm repeating, but I have mates that work at Royal Bank Of Scotland in Manchester, the call centre - one of them was actually sacked from his last job, yet he still works there. (I know he was sacked, because he worked with me. :P) My advice is to take them off your CV altogether - act as if they never existed. I've done that with one of my previous jobs.

I thought the only bad thing they could really say in your reference would be in reply to 'Would you employ this person again?' to which they can say no. They can also say if you were dismissed from your job. But I had the impression that references were quite vague anyway.

I also 'know of' someone who works at Barracuda Bar - but I don't recall her mentioning how bad it is.

I haven't heard any complaints from Barracuda Manchester. It's Barracuda Wrexham everyone hates.
    That might be why. :p
    Certainly a slightly random day...I might have got another job already. Just waiting to hear back from them now :D
    Certainly a slightly random day...I might have got another job already. Just waiting to hear back from them now :D

*keeps everything crossed for you*
    Miffy wrote:
    *keeps everything crossed for you*

Even your legs? ;)
    Yeah... The place is shit. I've felt pressurised to resign ever since I injured my back there... Which is of fault of the staff who didn't listen when I said I was in pain.

The manager isn't a nice person, he's very two faced which is something that can't be changed unfortunately. I'm ashamed to ever have worked for such an unpleasent person... Even if the supervisors are Ok.

As far as I'm concerned I hope the place burns down. :grump:
    Good luck chaos! :thumb:
    Yes it is definitely against the law to give a bad reference. NOTHING negative must be mentioned wither neutral or positive. Or this aspect of you wrk is stronger than xyz aspect. If they think you are that bad, protcol instructs, no reference shld be given at all, i.e. refusal of a reference.
    mazza wrote:
    Yes it is definitely against the law to give a bad reference. NOTHING negative must be mentioned wither neutral or positive. Or this aspect of you wrk is stronger than xyz aspect. If they think you are that bad, protcol instructs, no reference shld be given at all, i.e. refusal of a reference.

Having looked through the resources, it seems to me (I'm no expert) that this isn't law exactly but is the guidelines all companies follow so that they can't be sued for false references, as such. If they just say "Mr. X worked here from 01/02/2004 to 12/05/2004 as a cleaning boy" then they can't really get done.

Again, I'm no expert, thats all I've picked up from reading the sources. They all seem to contradict each other. Anyway Chaos - I think legal action would probably be a bit too difficult on your own, you could always see if a workers union would support you though, they're all for workers rights....
    rachie004 wrote:
    I only read the first page..

but chaos.. would you fancy working at the airport.. LOADS of companies recruiting there will send u a pm :)

Dies with excitement at the thought of chaos working at the airport - gogogo its so exciting I spent a week there once...
    Even your legs? ;)

Even them. :yes:
    It's against the law to give a bad reference, right? Well Barracuda Bar just has done and it could have cost me that me my job before I've even started...

When I was working there I was asked to work stupid hours, was payed under the minimum wage even after I turned 18 and had a panic attack in work to which the boss threatened to fire me, which is law number 1 they broke.

Law number 2 they broke was they threatened to fire my sister because her dyspraxia effected her work.

Law number 3 they broke was having drug use on the premises.

Law number 4 they broke was the manager being drunk when he should have been working.

Law number 5 they broke was having a go at my sister and threatening to fire her in front of other members as staff as well as telling staff that she had given her notice and was leaving when she wasn't (in a harsh attempt to get her to leave).

Is there any chance this would hold up in court because I'm going to take them to court if I don't get this job. Those FUCKING BASTARDS are trying to fuck me at every turn :mad::mad::mad:

Law One:
    As far as I know in North America, it is not illegal to give a bad work related referrence if it is justly earned. Also, giving a false positive reference can lead to being sued for damages if you knowingly gave a false positive reference about an ex-employee to a prospective employer and that ex-employee caused harm or damage to their new employers business.

Law Two:
    It is illegal to terminate or threaten to terminate an employee due to a medical condition unless said condition hinders the employees ablity to do his or her job, or said condition threatens the health and wellbeing of those who the employee interacts with during the course of their work day.

Law Three:
    No contest if you are referring to illegal drugs and drug use.

Law Four:
    There is no law that states a manager can or cannot be drunk. This is purely an internal matter for the company. Unless of course the managers drunkness threatens the wellbeing and health at the worksite.

Law Five:
    Not against the law, however it does show a bad lack of maturity, sensitivity and intelligence on the part of the management staff.

However, one thing I have learned as a manager.....there are always two sides to story.....we have heard your side, it would be interesting to hear the other side.....
    If you put down a previous job, I think the new employee is at rights to request a reference from them.

It depends on the sensitivity of the job.....if its job in banking, I sure as hell would want to check up on the background of any potential new hire.

I manage a trucking company here and by Canadian Law, I have to contact every company a potential new driver has worked for in the past and get his rec
    sweet_gal wrote:
    aww dnt worry ul find a job!! im jobless at the moment 2!! :confused: no1 wna employ me..
    im xpectn call 4rm royal bank scotland they got call centre jobs in birmingham..
    is ur sis still wrkin at that bar?

With spelling like that, I am not too surprised....mind you, I should talk...... :lol:
    With spelling like that, I am not too surprised....mind you, I should talk...... :lol:

That's exactly what I was going to put. Minus the part about your spelling!
    if memory serves me correct, you are right it is against the law to provide a reference that contains negative comments within, as an ex-employer the way to get round this is not to provide a reference. if your boss is harrassing either you or your sister about their work skills it is also illegal to try and force them to leave employment, the reason your sister hasnt been sacked (i pressume) is because if he sacked her for no reason he is liable to be taken to an employment tribunaral. as far as im aware the courts dont entertain employment issues so i would suggest that you take them to an employment tribunaral on two seperate jobs. firstly your sister is able to take a case as it is illegal for him to disscuss her employment contract with her work collueges(data protection act), and secondly for yourself as he isnt allowed to give a negative reference, if you have a copy of the reference then send that in with an application to the employment tribunarals, as far as i know this is the only place you can sort your employment rights.
    Law One:
    As far as I know in North America, it is not illegal to give a bad work related referrence if it is justly earned. Also, giving a false positive reference can lead to being sued for damages if you knowingly gave a false positive reference about an ex-employee to a prospective employer and that ex-employee caused harm or damage to their new employers business.

Law Two:
    It is illegal to terminate or threaten to terminate an employee due to a medical condition unless said condition hinders the employees ablity to do his or her job, or said condition threatens the health and wellbeing of those who the employee interacts with during the course of their work day.

Law Three:
    No contest if you are referring to illegal drugs and drug use.

Law Four:
    There is no law that states a manager can or cannot be drunk. This is purely an internal matter for the company. Unless of course the managers drunkness threatens the wellbeing and health at the worksite.

Law Five:
    Not against the law, however it does show a bad lack of maturity, sensitivity and intelligence on the part of the management staff.

However, one thing I have learned as a manager.....there are always two sides to story.....we have heard your side, it would be interesting to hear the other side.....

i think youll find that a manager in charge of staff and customers being drunk is a legal matter as you will find most places of employment will have a public liability insurance certificate and if the person in charge is drunk then the insurance is invalidated and in the uk you cannot open your premises without a valid insurance certificate so if the boss is drunk under our laws no insurance, no opening, if this was reported to health and saftey, your current place of employment would come under investigation and if the complaint was upheld the company can lose its trading licence on the said premises.
    ""illegal for him to disscuss her employment contract with her work collueges(data protection act), ""

Do you really think an employment tribunal will go ahead if a boss tells employees a colleague is going to be fired?? Data protection - break it down. There was no data given, therefore needs no protection. She could only go to a ET if she quit and claimed constructive dismissal on these areas. And how many times do I have to say it - you asked for a reference, you have to take the bad with the good. An employer will however, be careful as they will not want to be held libellous for any comment that may not be fair or accurate or is indeed misleading. If they are misleading, unfair or inaccurate then you may be able to sue for libel as it is a written document..... but the success is minimal and the process lengthy and expensive.
    This might help you see what they are allowed and not allowed to do Chaos.

Reference fact sheet