Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US convinces Uganda to recommend "abstinence only" to fight AIDS

Uganda, considered a beacon in Africa for its Aids-beating policies, is adopting sexual abstinence-only programmes financed by the US which could undo all its successes, a report says today.

Human Rights Watch warns that the new policies, which promote abstinence until marriage rather than condom use, leave not only young unmarried people but also women married to unfaithful men without the knowledge they need to protect themselves from infection.

Research within Uganda by Human Rights Watch has found that information on condoms, safer sex and the risks of HIV in marriage has been removed from primary schools, while some materials used in secondary schools falsely suggest that condoms have microscopic holes that allow the HIV virus through.
The Aids awareness programmes in schools are funded by the US and overseen by an American technical adviser at the ministry of education.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1447713,00.html

What a bunch of sickening cunts :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "The president and the first lady are being misunderstood. They have been consistent in advocating for a multi-pronged approach," he said. "He says that those who are sexually active should be faithful to their partners; that others should abstain, and those who cannot abstain should use condoms."

Not sure what's wrong with that approach. It's certainly not sickening.
  • Options
    As anyone who had sex with someone from a strict upbringing will tell you, there is nothing like abstinence to concentrate the mind so totally on what you want to avoid.

Telling people NOT to do things makes them more likely to do them.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not sure what's wrong with that approach. It's certainly not sickening.
    I'd say that's little more than pretty words. The fact remains that kids are not being taught nothing about condoms (or they're being lied to and told condoms are next to useless) and they're simply advised not to have sex at all.

There is no end of reasons why this is a despicable and dangerous thing to do. And all because of absurd superstitions and beliefs some fuckers who live 10,000 miles away happen to subscribe to.

In the real world, people will have sex and sleep around, just in the same way as some people will steal or rape or kill others. It's in human nature, and therefore simply saying "you shouldn't have sex before married, and should not cheat on your partner, and therefore there is no need for you to know about (or use) condoms" is putting the lives of millions of people at risk for no good reason whatsoever other than superstitions.

And what right do the rulers in Uganda (let alone the fundies in the US) have to tell people not to have sex before marriage???

Repulsive scum :mad:
  • Options
    It's human nature to steal, kill and rape?
  • Options
    Neither approach will work in countries like Uganda, the people there simply do not care about AIDS or condoms.
  • Options
    I believe they withdrew the condoms because they failed safety checks - having a faulty condom is worse than no condom at all.

I agree that few people can resist the urge to have sex outside marriage (I know I couldn't), but I don't see anything wrong with promoting an ideal, even one few people can hold themselves too.

And the Government has the same right to put across a moral message as you do...
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with promoting an ideal- so long as other options are still made available.

By refusing to teach children about condoms (or threatening adults with eternal damnation if they dare use them, as the Catholic Church does for example) they're putting the lives of tens of millions at risk. They should at least make it clear that although they believe abstinence and fidelity are the best way forward, those who are going to do otherwise must use a condom- as oppose to pretending condoms don't exist or they are useless.
  • Options
    Neither approach will work in countries like Uganda, the people there simply do not care about AIDS or condoms.

Well, what an enlightening statement - the people in Uganda do not care about AIDs or Condoms.

There doesn't seem to be a link to research which backs up your extraordinary statement?

Why is that?

:confused:
  • Options
    Wasn't there those people who went around saying that condoms have microscopic little holes in that the HIV virus can spread through? It was all a load of bollocks, naturally, but people were going to have sex anyway and rather than waste a quid or whatever on something that wasn't going to work they decided to go ahead anyway. And caught HIV.

I really feel sorry for people in a lot of the african countries because they are truly one of the most overused political pawns, ever. If the politicians, theologians, philosiphers and everyone else who sticks their nose in actually just thought what was best for the people....
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's human nature to steal, kill and rape?

Well yea. not everyones but they are certainly characterisitcs of many people.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well yea. not everyones but they are certainly characterisitcs of many people.........
    It's either human nature or it's not. To suggest that certain people have it and others don't is prejudice and discriminatory.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's either human nature or it's not. To suggest that certain people have it and others don't is prejudice and discriminatory.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Seriously.

Of course some people are more inclined towards stealing, killing and raping...that's not exactly debatable.

On the topic though...education and promotion of condom use seems the best route available.
  • Options
    It's not ridiculous, either we are all capable or we all are not. Clearly because some do, means that we all are, and the ability to choose results from, what?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

!?

Well whatever, the fact is plenty of people do steal, kill and rape for whatever reason, so I guess in your book that makes us all capable of it then, but that seemed to be what you were questioning in the first place which doesn't make any sense.

the fact that some plenty of people do it means either it is human nature for everyone or at least some people are capable of it.........
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not ridiculous, either we are all capable or we all are not. Clearly because some do, means that we all are, and the ability to choose results from, what?

Ok we are all capable and we can all choose but I am sure you realise that some people are more likely to choose it than others due to a variety of factors.........
  • Options
    it was just that aladdin put those things in the same catagory as having sex and called it human nature. Which begs the question why is it that some can manage total abstinence without any problems (other than the consitent choice to wait), and others can't?

Is it human nature or not?
  • Options
    OK I see what you mean, maybe a bit of semantic difficulty.

Does the person have to commit the act for it to be human nature or just have the ability and the motivation but still able to choose not to?
  • Options
    Honestly I think that acts considered as evil by the human majority (rape, murder, assault) are symptoms of the wider inherrent nature to do evil. No matter what it is you do it is an action born of that part of human nature than most people would like to deny exists at large. To explain why I say it'd be racist to say that some do and some don't is to take Rwanda as an example. If it's possible for nearly an entire country to get caught up in that, then it's possible for that entire country to be Britain, or America, to say 'Never here, we'd never do that' is to say that somehow you're better humans. Which is racism.

Now, if it's part of human nature to act in an evil way, and we can deny it for a better cause, when surely we can deny our sexual impulses in the same way. And to say that some can and some can't as part of some inherited ability, is racism.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Honestly I think that acts considered as evil by the human majority (rape, murder, assault) are symptoms of the wider inherrent nature to do evil. No matter what it is you do it is an action born of that part of human nature than most people would like to deny exists at large. To explain why I say it'd be racist to say that some do and some don't is to take Rwanda as an example. If it's possible for nearly an entire country to get caught up in that, then it's possible for that entire country to be Britain, or America, to say 'Never here, we'd never do that' is to say that somehow you're better humans. Which is racism..

Well I think you confuse race and nationality there seeing as UK and US both have large black minorities.......

Fiend_85 wrote:
    Now, if it's part of human nature to act in an evil way, and we can deny it for a better cause, when surely we can deny our sexual impulses in the same way. And to say that some can and some can't as part of some inherited ability, is racism.

Again only if you talk about it in a racial context, I could talk about it in a class context for example.......

Yes we cna deny our sexual impulses.

The crux of the matter I think is basically the harm principle.

Yes we can deny the impulse for sex but what I would say is that people do not deserve to be punished in such a severe way for giving in to the impulse as basically it does no harm (on any level comparable to murder)

On the other hand we can deny the impulse for murder but people do deserve to get punished for that as it is an act that commits harm.

Now Christians I iamgine would disagree that sex does no harm and I donn' think there is a neasy way to gte round that fundamnetal disagreement because Chritians have faith in the scriptures and secularists don't.......
  • Options
    I would say that most people would agree that indiscriminate sex is harmful. At the very least on an emotional level.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I would say that most people would agree that indiscriminate sex is harmful. At the very least on an emotional level.

What exactly is "indiscriminate sex"? :confused:

Religion has worked hard to fuse sexuality and morality, so a lot of the emotional fallout is to do with that ............

We know from watching the Catholic church that many who take vows of abstinence aren't able to keep them - which is one of the reasons that promoting an "absitinence only" poilcy is proving so harmful.
  • Options
    Religion has worked hard to fuse sexuality and morality, so a lot of the emotional fallout is to do with that ............

I disagree.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I disagree.

Yes, and I think its possible to have sex with many people, without feeling bad.

:)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

But I am sure you will admit that this is not anything like comparable to the harm done by murder is it?
  • Options
    I'm not convinced you can measure harm in a quantitative scale. But no, it's not the same as murder. It would depend very much on the situation though.
  • Options
    Would it?!

i personally cannot think of any situation in which the harm done by having a one night stand, affair etc is in anyway comparable to that done by a murder, can you?
  • Options
    I would say you don't have very much imagination. It is stretching it, I don't deny that, but just because something isn't as damaging as murder doesn't mean that it's not damaging enough.
  • Options
    Damaging enough to be punished by a fatal disease?

Damn right you are stretching it!!!
  • Options
    Sorry what?
  • Options
    If the harm done by the act is not considerable enough to deserve the punishment of getting AIDS then what is the sense in banning condoms despite knowing that some people will commit this sin and that the punishment could be AIDS?

If the magnitude of the sin doesn't fir the punishment then surely something is amiss?