Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lump

I think I may have found a lump in my breast. Its been hurting recently and I've found it uncomfortable to sleep on my left side. I did the best checking thing that I saw on the breast cancer site and I can defenatly feel somthing there. The other breast feel smooth unless I press really hard but I dont need to press that hard at all with the left one.

I'm getting really nervous now cos cancer seems to run in my family. Two of my aunts have had it (lung cancer and something else but it wasnt breast cancer) and so has my grandad. My mum is prone to getting cysts in her boobs so it could be that, but its still very scary.

I know I need to go to the Drs and a shall do some time next week as I have a totally full week till tuesday. But what will happen when I get there? What sort of things will she ask? What will happen if she says it is a lump and not just growing pains (what she said last time I went in with breast pain)? I'm really shitting it now. I dont want cancer:(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's rare that breast lumps turn out to be cancer. although obviously you should always get a lump checked out, just in case, in most cases it turns out to be a cyst, or a fatty lump, or even just a dodgy spot. if your mum is prone to cysts, then i'd think it was pretty likely you could be too.

having said that, i'm sure you're aware that if you were one of the unlucky ones who gets breast cancer, the sooner you get it seen to, the better the prognosis.

also, i'm fairly sure that you're only at an increased risk of breast cancer if there's a history of breast cancer in your family. cancer has cropped up quite a lot in my family too, but usually bowel or brain or skin, and my GP told me i was at no greater risk than someone with no family history.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Right... You might think this is bullshit, but I'd feel guilty if I didn't mention it at least once. I suggest you at least think though.

http://www.007b.com/bras_breast_cancer.php
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kaff is right on the money.

Considering all the factors it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you have breast cancer.

1. Because you're so young,
    2. Only breast cancer in immediate relatives increases your chance of breast cancer,
    3. Breast pain is quite common, BUT breast cancer is very rarely associated with breast pain, and even when it is that's usually in the very advanced stages.

As for what will happen at the doctors, I imagine she will want to examine you. If she agrees that there is a lump, that STILL doesn't mean anything is terribly wrong with you! In the absence of any other symptoms that might suggest breast cancer, like discharge from the nipple or puckering and dimpling of the skin, she might refer you to a clinic to have the lump looked at but it certainly won't be urgent and might take some weeks or even months. On the other hand she might want to wait and see if it resolves itself by the time you've had your next period, which is possible.

So you really shouldn't worry yourself stupid about this because the odds against it being anything nasty are absolutely overwhelming.