Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

terrorism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
its only a matter of time before the uk gets attacked.i keep trying to predict the location,so i can stay away from it.
personally,i fear the london underground and the channel tunnel..these places frighten me at the best of times...what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not much chance of it happening here if you mean "Al Quaeda" I just posted this elsewhere -

There have been no terrorist attacks in the uk, and plenty of evidence to show how easy they are to do - conclusion - there is no threat or we would have been bombed already. We assume we are much more important in the world than we are, for good an ill. The "US" would be the target, always, just like the IRA wouldn't bomb the Isle of Man if it could do something in London/

Further concliusion - terrorist attacks are impossible to stop.

It's also why the poor bastards from Belmarsh aren't being given trials etc.

Their defence is more than likely to be - "What Al-Quaeda?"

As there is no proof that it exists outside the minds of those currently ushering in a police state, they would have to let them go.

There has still been no proof of who did the 9/11 attacks. A video of someone who vaguely resembles a terrorist? Get real, how do you know there wasn't some US general pointing a gun at him in a cell in Alabama
    ?
    i don't believe that for a second! we are a target,we are up the usa's arse.
    We are a target, of course we are.

But what can you do? I'm more worried, living just outside the blast radius of Sellafield- I will die, but horribly slowly and painfully if that place goes up.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    its only a matter of time before the uk gets attacked.i keep trying to predict the location,so i can stay away from it.
    personally,i fear the london underground and the channel tunnel..these places frighten me at the best of times...what are your thoughts?

before i start i just want to say that i personally think that the current threat is vastly overrated and blown out of proportion but yes there is a minor threat coming from Al Qaeda and whatever.

The UK has been attacked numerous times by terrorists...namely the IRA...the IRA hasn't attacked london since 1996 if memory serves me correct...how did they avert this...by actually talking with the terrorists and trying to solve the problems out that exist...mayube balir should get up off his backside and talk to al qaeda and try to solve these things out, or are the "mad mullahs" too dumb to understand, or more likely, is bush shoving this "we don't talk to terrorists" agenda down his throat, yes don't talk to your enemies, the problem will sort itself out in time :rolleyes: X10000000000000000000
    Not surprising given the efforts being made to convince the population of the "terrible threat we face" and which has to be combatted by removing "freedom" wholesale.

What have we actually had? One disinterested nutter from Gloucester who was so rabidly anti-Uk/US that he kept a bomb under his bed for a couple of years after bottling his mission and a mental patient who tried to attack a plane with his shoes. Terrifying.

On the other hand we have had a religious fundamentalist impose his view of "freedom" using "overwhelming force", torture and propoganda. The dwarfish chimp with learning difficulties is my favourite candidate for the twin towers atrocity. Which person is the biggest threat to "our way of life?"
    whatever the reason,what ever the group/person,the fact remains that we are a target.i totally agree we should try to debate with terrorists,but history has shown us that it is a largely ineffective method when dealing with extremists.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    whatever the reason,what ever the group/person,the fact remains that we are a target.i totally agree we should try to debate with terrorists,but history has shown us that it is a largely ineffective method when dealing with extremists.
    We negotiated with the IRA.

The IRA aren't bombing anymore.

The only way to stop terrorists is to give them something to lose.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    but history has shown us that it is a largely ineffective method when dealing with extremists.

proof...i think history will tell you the opposite...
    turlough wrote:
    proof...i think history will tell you the opposite...
    how many people died?,and how many years has it taken for the ira to get to this point.i believe 911 changed things more than talks...a bit of both,i suppose.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    how many people died?,and how many years has it taken for the ira to get to this point.i believe 911 changed things more than talks...a bit of both,i suppose.

how has 9/11 changed things...for good or bad...sorry didn't really understand that...
    The first negotations with the IRA were in the early 1970s with Willie Whitelaw. The problem was that the IRA wanted something the Govt wasn't prepared to give (ie a United Ireland against the wishes of the unionist majority).

It wasn't negotiations which brought the IRA campaign to a halt, but the realisation that there military campaign had failed. In twenty plus years they had murdered and bombed and got no nearer their goal (in fact have probably pushed it further away). The Govts fundamental position has never changed - no United Ireland without consent. Oh there may have been some tinkering round the edges but I do tend to go with the view that the Good Friday Agreement is 'Sunningdale for slow learners'

The IRA negotiated because they had failed militarily. At some point it may come to the same point with Islamic terrorists. I don't think that point has been reached and any negotiations are going to demand things we are not willing to give.
    NQA wrote:
    It wasn't negotiations which brought the IRA campaign to a halt, but the realisation that there military campaign had failed.

thats not the point...the point is that the IRA and the govts felt the conditions were right to start discussions...the military campaign never suceeded...yea they had minor talks but nothing major...there was a lot of resentment on both sides...eventually both sides decided enough was enough and decided to talk...the way things are going now...the two sides are on supersonic trains going in the opposite directions...
    turlough wrote:
    how has 9/11 changed things...for good or bad...sorry didn't really understand that...
    i could be wrong,but it just seemed to calm down after 911,when the usa was talking about targeting terrorism alltogether.its my view and i have no proof,but hey.
    The problem with asking terrorists to disarm etc is that the reason they usually take up arms is that "the government" have already used force, either by invading or providing arms to someone the "terrorists" are in conflict with.

Of course, if the "terrorists" win, they become the "government." Nelson Mandela is a top quality example of a terrorist winning his war.

You have to remove the cause of the grievance, not for the terrorist, but for those that they recruit. Setting up a multi national Islamic superstate ruling every aspect of daily life like some mad god is patently a daft idea. Why do these people get listened too?

As far as I can tell, it's because life for people around them is so bad that anything representing action or a future is grabbed hold of. Remove the shit elements for the recruits and over time the amount of potential terrorists dwindles into nothing. Blow them back yo the stone age and get ready to dodge aircraft for a while longer.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i could be wrong,but it just seemed to calm down after 911,when the usa was talking about targeting terrorism alltogether.its my view and i have no proof,but hey.

:shocking: as opposed to numerous attacks before 9/11 :confused:

there were no reported terrorist attacks in Iraq pre-invasion...now there's 60 a day...america has given young people in these countries a reason to vent their anger...whatever that anger was previously who knows...it's now towards america...they are seen as the agressor...this just makes more people want to attack them...tw wrngs definately don't make a right...in other countries there's still terrorist wars going on...guerilla wars...they're probably oblivious to whats happening in iraq, or even if 9/11 happened...
    turlough wrote:
    thats not the point...the point is that the IRA and the govts felt the conditions were right to start discussions...the military campaign never suceeded...yea they had minor talks but nothing major...there was a lot of resentment on both sides...eventually both sides decided enough was enough and decided to talk...the way things are going now...the two sides are on supersonic trains going in the opposite directions...

So you can only have negotiations at the right point. The negotiations in the 70s failed because the IRA wanted more than the Govt was going to give. The negotiations in the 90s suceeded because the IRA had moderated their demands. The fundamental British position hadn't changed at all since the 1970s.

The British knew that militarily they couldn't defeat the IRA. The best they could do was achieve an 'acceptable level of violence'*. But they'd known that in the 70s and British tactics were a mixture of the military (so that the IRA couldn't return to its success of the early 70s ) and the political/social/economic (abolishing Stormont, Anglo-Irish Agreement etc, putting more and more money into deprived areas of Northern Ireland).

The negotiations started when it was believed that enough of the senior leadership of the IRA would accept a solution which was neither a United Ireland or even neccessarily a road map to a United Ireland.

I'm not saying negotations are wrong - I'm just saying its naive to expect them always to suceed.

*a crap term made up some British Minister. I or my parents went to way too many funerals for me to have much sympathy with that phrase.
    turlough wrote:
    :shocking: as opposed to numerous attacks before 9/11 :confused:

there were no reported terrorist attacks in Iraq pre-invasion...now there's 60 a day...america has given young people in these countries a reason to vent their anger...whatever that anger was previously who knows...it's now towards america...they are seen as the agressor...this just makes more people want to attack them...tw wrngs definately don't make a right...in other countries there's still terrorist wars going on...guerilla wars...they're probably oblivious to whats happening in iraq, or even if 9/11 happened...
    i was just talking about the ira situation pre 911.
    well of course we are a target.

but extremist islamic groups seemed to be fairly localised but daring.

then along came the best hollywood verasion possible news reel ...

when americsa is under attack ...see here it ...live ...

the reason we aint been attacked is cos half these muslim terrorists you talk of ...don't actualy exist.
    now ...more and more young muslims have been shaped ...by america ...to be the new enemy.
    it's fucking clever stuff.
    absolute outrages are going on in my land and your land ...but thats ok.
    it's fucking scary.
    Wow. First I agree with Blagsta, now the Roll.

Except about our status as a target. That'll come if we slip in the polls about our fear of terrorism.
    klintock wrote:
    Except about our status as a target. .

i believe we are now a atarget from within our own comunities.
    if i were a young muslim guy in hulme manchestuh ...
    i'd be be gearing up with anger and hatred and possibly bullets.
    i'm fucking angry enough that MY PEOPLE ... have gone and inflicted what they hblah blah ...fuckink balh.

the enemy didn't actualy realise they were were so big and clever /....until the movies told 'em so ...i'm rambling.
    State terrorism is indeed a very scary prospect.
    yup.

And that situation was deliberately created to divide various populations.

If you were a detective and were looking for the person with the most motive, who would you pick?
    klintock wrote:
    yup.

And that situation was deliberately created to divide various populations.

If you were a detective and were looking for the person with the most motive, who would you pick?
    dunno? who would you pick?
    i'd pick some real dumm ass fucking chimp ...to be my front man.
    how can anyone blame a chimp ....?
    Everyone involved gets something out of it.

The governments over here get an excuse to carry on business as normal - normal being the cold war state of affairs with vast defence spending, low levels of freedom for their own populations, and of course, the oil.

The israelis get a strong friendly military presence in the region, unrest which their state relies on to continue to exist and they get to piss off all their neighbours by proxy.

The arab terrorists get to advance their cause too.

I say it's all of them playing the situation for their own ends, who started it I have no idea.
    klintock wrote:
    Everyone involved gets something out of it.

The israelis get a strong friendly military presence in the region,

and the yanks have enough nukes there to turn the entire middle east into blood stained glass.
    Yup.

And the whole situation is going to continue as it is or get worse, because there is nothing in it for any side to change the way things are in a way that the average man in the street would recognise as positive.

I always try to remember that the same set of people who take my taxes spend that money making orphans in a place I have never even seen and make it likely that my own family live in fear.
    klintock wrote:
    Yup.

And the whole situation is going to continue as it is or get worse, because there is nothing in it for any side to change the way things are in a way that the average man in the street would recognise as positive.

I always try to remember that the same set of people who take my taxes spend that money making orphans in a place I have never even seen and make it likely that my own family live in fear.

you can choose your life style to a very high degrree in western society.
    and the life style we all continualy support ...is the most planet destructive ever seen.
    in the known universe.
    if you wish to consume shiny things at an ever accelerating rate ... the latest greatest fasting fading lethalist practices of today ... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
    klintock wrote:
    Yup.

cheer up luv!..drink beer and smoke dope,it all becomes clear then! :) well it does to me,anyway....i think??..fuck knows? :)
    Oh fucking hell yes. I haven't got any problems that are worthy of the name.

I just wish the people who purport to represent me would stop -

Asking me for my hard earned on no basis I can see.

Shooting people for no good reason.

The reason that they get away with this kind of thing is that it all happens "somewhere else". They aren't daft enough to mess with the golden goose over here, they need us too much.

:wave: