Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Privacy fears over NHS database

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'm not bothered by it. I hold the opinion that although I should look after my own health, what it comes down to is a doctor doing his job is going to be the best authority on it. If the doctors say they want to keep all my records for more effective treatment then I'll let them.
  • Options
    Seeing that NPfIT is a national procurement of IT systems, I have little faith in it.

But the end of that article says it all really. How secure are paper based systems now?
  • Options
    No doubt it will be just "easier all around" to have ID cards.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    No doubt it will be just "easier all around" to have ID cards.

I already have one. But then the public has a right to know that they are passing on personal medical information to someone who will guard their privacy.

Of course, you are talking about the national scheme of tracking devices though, aren't you.
  • Options
    Yup.

If you accept the fact that it's ok for people you have never met to hold lots of information about you (and get you to pay for it), you may as well make the whole process as cheap as possible.

I am always very wary of stories that appear that are tangential to an issue the government is having a problem "selling" to the general population.
  • Options
    I meet patients every single day who are happy to tell me they don't care about current confidentiality and privacy laws and guidelines so how people can get so worked up about this is beyond me.

How many people know how GPs and surgeries use their information now? Not many I'll bet.
  • Options
    Yes. I quite agree, it's no big thing to most people. One person doesn't want their information shared around, one person don't mind.

Either way it's no big thing to respect people's wishes whichever they choose.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Either way it's no big thing to respect people's wishes whichever they choose.

The problem I have with this is that most people don't realise how their information is stored and used now. There is also a problem in finding out how people want their information stored and that will take time and money. There needs to be a 'norm' from which people can opt out, rather than asking them to choose 'yes' or 'no' to having their information held on a national database.
  • Options
    Seems to be a good idea to me. I assume that it won't be open to just about everyone to have a look around in and they'll be safeguards to stop even authorised users taking a peek at their neighbour's medical history.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    they'll be safeguards to stop even authorised users taking a peek at their neighbour's medical history.

Like what? Since there aren't those 'safeguards' in place now to stop that happening in hospitals and GP's surgeries I would need a lot of reassurance that this couldn't happen.
  • Options
    Yes. you are right again. Best off to leave everyone off the system til they agree.
  • Options
    I know for a fact that I am still on the systems of at least two NHS trusts, and the left arm never knows what the right arm is doing (the GP surgery that referred me to the psychiatric unit in Newcastle didn't know that I'd been referred on again, for instance).

I personally don't have much problem with it, the new system will be about as secure and safe as the old one. It'll be grossly overpriced and won't work, but I don't think it will be less secure than the current system.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Like what? Since there aren't those 'safeguards' in place now to stop that happening in hospitals and GP's surgeries I would need a lot of reassurance that this couldn't happen.

I have no idea. But the Criminal Records database has safeguards so I can imagine that its possible to put them in place.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Seems to be a good idea to me. I assume that it won't be open to just about everyone to have a look around in and they'll be safeguards to stop even authorised users taking a peek at their neighbour's medical history.

Well the safeguards are at least as much as would be applied to the current paper system. What individual surgeries, hospitals and trusts choose to do with the smart cards and passwords that they have is ultimately down to them though. The system can only ever be as secure as those who use it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If you accept the fact that it's ok for people you have never met to hold lots of information about you

Do you actually know what this information is used for?
  • Options
    Not a clue.

But that's okay because I don't want anyone having my information and would (hell do) refuse to give it out to all and sundry.

If...you accept yadda yadda.

I don't, but for those who do, they may as well make the states job of controlling them cheaper, after all they are going to be paying for whatever costly and useless mess is brought in.

As far as I am concerned the proposed ID cards are electronic tags for all the family. But that's kind of OT.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Not a clue.

That's obvious.
    I don't, but for those who do, they may as well make the states job of controlling them cheaper

The NHS database isn't about controlling you, ya twat. It about you being able to get the right treatment. Heaven forbid that you are admitted to hospital and need emergency treatment but, because you refuse to let the NHS have information about you, you suffer a latex reaction because they didn't know you were allergic. Still, if it's worth paying with your life.

Of course, the reason I need information about you, is to make sure that the hospital is there in the first place. Without information, I don't know how many operations/emergencies/GP visit there are. I don't know where the people come from. I don't know what they are suffering from.

But hey, don't let the Govt know anything about you...
    As far as I am concerned the proposed ID cards are electronic tags for all the family. But that's kind of OT.

ID Cards are okay, in principle.

It's the information on them that's the problem.
  • Options
    (roll eyes)

There is a system for those who don't want to put their information on a computer, halfwit. Try reading all the thread and the links in future, before you go and make yourself look a fool.

Not allowing all and sundry access to the information is different to not letting my doctors know where I am up to. The type and amount of operations can be added up without names being attached, or is that too big a leap of imagination for you to make?

ID cards are a terrible idea, in principle.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Actually, in principle, they are not. The fact that everyone has identification so they can prove who they are is actually a good idea, in principle. It's the other external thingys that make it a bad idea, whether it is a bad idea or not comes down to balance.

So, you don't want information available on a computer that says you're allergic to latex right? You say you're okay with the alternatives, which having read through the article
    A second option of sealing the most sensitive data in an "electronic envelope" for use only in emergencies was also being offered
    is that. But the data is still available. I mean, you must be a paranoid to think that a load of NHS secretaries / nurses go through your medical files and see you have had a case of gonnohrea and have a laugh at your expense (though, it is no laughing matter ;)).

People actually have jobs to do. The only information they're going to hold is medical information. What's wrong with that? Information that can be abused like your address and such is already available on lots of national databases, but as soon as someone wants to make a system to record your health everyone hates it.

I personally think it's a great idea
  • Options
    It wasn't really my opinion that the holding of information by Doctors was a bad thing, my point was just that it's an easy argument to bring to the "should we have ID cards debate". MoK didn't read the whole thing and called me a twat.

"Yes. I quite agree, it's no big thing to most people. One person doesn't want their information shared around, one person don't mind."

"If you accept the fact that it's ok for people you have never met to hold lots of information about you (and get you to pay for it), you may as well make the whole process as cheap as possible.

I am always very wary of stories that appear that are tangential to an issue the government is having a problem "selling" to the general population
    ."
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    There is a system for those who don't want to put their information on a computer, halfwit. Try reading all the thread and the links in future, before you go and make yourself look a fool.

Guess the reality is a little different.

If your GP has a computer system then you are already on it. Same with hospitals.

Whoops.
    Not allowing all and sundry access to the information is different to not letting my doctors know where I am up to.

Who types letters? Who files your notes?
    The type and amount of operations can be added up without names being attached, or is that too big a leap of imagination for you to make?

No it isn't. I work in the system you are trying to tell me about. Have a feeling I may know a little more than you.

Being able to show who I am is important, hence why I have an ID badge.

How do you know that the person you see in clinic is actually the doctor, and not just anyone?

The information in the Govt's planned ID system is the problem. The minute you add "smart" systems you make it a tracking device and that's the problem.
  • Options
    Oh ffs. Go and read the frigging link, MoK.

"A new NHS computer database may threaten the privacy of patients' medical records, the BBC has learned."

"He said: "The danger with this system is that there's no GP or other professional with the clear responsibility to protect the information they have collected, and therefore civil liberties are very much in jeopardy". "

So at the moment, someone is accountable, and this is due to change. If the article is wrong based on your personal experience, get in touch with the BBC and make yourself a few quid and get them to correct their article. As the BBC gets it's knuckles rapped when it gets things wrong and you have consistently shown yourself as rude and uninformed I know who I plump for.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh ffs. Go and read the frigging link, MoK.

"A new NHS computer database may threaten the privacy of patients' medical records, the BBC has learned."

You always believe the media?

New my arse.

The "new" bit is that all existing systems will be linked.
    So at the moment, someone is accountable, and this is due to change.

That person is the Caldicott Guardian, and they aren't going anywhere.
  • Options
    "You always believe the media?"

Over you, yes.

"The "new" bit is that all existing systems will be linked."

Unless your info is in a sealed bag.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Over you, yes.

:lol:

Yes, why believe the insider...
    Unless your info is in a sealed bag.

Ever heard of password protection?

I can already restrict access to some people...
  • Options
    Klintock, the one failing you might have in this argument, is MoK actually works with these kinds of systems every day as his job. So I would beleive MoK. The BBC saying the system is new (rather than just being integrated) is the type of exaggeration you frequently get with the media. It's always sensible not to take them so literally.
  • Options
    "Yes, why believe the insider..."

You are not an insider. You are a guy I have never met, who has insulted me, who hallucinates and who might be, for all I know a 12 year old girl with learning difficulties. (Which would explain a lot)

Ever heard of Administrator access?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    "Yes, why believe the insider..."

You are not an insider. You are a guy I have never met, who has insulted me, who hallucinates and who might be, for all I know a 12 year old girl with learning difficulties. (Which would explain a lot)

Ever heard of Administrator access?

Just a quick question, with your terrible fear of the controlling government, what sensitive information could they hold? Perhaps when it says you're allergic to aspirin a government hitman is going to come along and take you out using aspirin?

In a perfect society there would be full disclosure, tbh :p if nobody has nothing to hide then nobody has to be suspicious. What do you have to hide klintock?
  • Options
    Multiple identities, massive "tax" evasion, given false names to the "police" on numerous occasions, false claims to money to get back what has been stolen from me. And so on. I find nothing wrong with any of this, but others may disagree and want to use force to get me to behave the way they would like. I can't match that force, so hiding is the best defence.

The ability to hide your identity is a private individuals main defence against the "state". now things might be going well for you at the moment, but if they change and can track you anywhere they can do anything and you are stuffed.

I have nothing to hide, provided I am hidden.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Multiple identities, massive "tax" evasion, given false names to the "police" on numerous occasions, false claims to money to get back what has been stolen from me. And so on. I find nothing wrong with any of this, but others may disagree and want to use force to get me to behave the way they would like. I can't match that force, so hiding is the best defence.

The ability to hide your identity is a private individuals main defence against the "state". now things might be going well for you at the moment, but if they change and can track you anywhere they can do anything and you are stuffed.

I have nothing to hide, provided I am hidden.

So basically you're a criminal, right?