Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Daily Mail readers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A strange breed indeed, is it just me or do they actualy enjoy being wound up like yo-yo ? The whole 'countries going to the dogs' brigade really seem to lap it up, i wonder if studies have been done on the Mail readership concerning blood pressure and/or aneurysms.

Comments

• Options
    :o:o :angel: :angel:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :angel:
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :angel:
    is this an admission that most of you are sleepwalking your way to hell?
  • Options
    I hope so ;)
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

I know what you mean. I can never get through the whole paper either.
  • Options
    In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks

Looks like we got ourselves a (daily mail) reader....
  • Options
    Not sure that Bill is immortal, in fact I think the evidence shows otherwise ;)

But we have a few HateMail readers around here. Well, every pack has it's jokers I suppose...
  • Options
    I do read the Daily Mail myself, mainly for the comic value.
  • Options
    It's a vile, repugnant, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, worthless piece of shit of a 'newspaper'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's a vile, repugnant, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, worthless piece of shit of a 'newspaper'.

That it is.

Funny thing is though, I live in a predominantly Asian area of London and The Mail sells really well. My local curry house, whose owners are of Indian sub-continental extraction (and I would guess by their accents, that neither of the two generations that work out front, were born in Britain - I hope I'm not making too many assumptions here), leaves The Mail on the counter for their customers to read whilst waiting for their curry.
  • Options
    What a crazy bunch YOU guys are.
  • Options
    That it is.

Funny thing is though, I live in a predominantly Asian area of London and The Mail sells really well. My local curry house, whose owners are of Indian sub-continental extraction (and I would guess by their accents, that neither of the two generations that work out front, were born in Britain - I hope I'm not making too many assumptions here), leaves The Mail on the counter for their customers to read whilst waiting for their curry.
    Yes, it's funny how sometimes the most conservative and fierce opponents of immigration are established immigrants themselves.

Michael Howard is a prime example.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, it's funny how sometimes the most conservative and fierce opponents of immigration are established immigrants themselves.

Michael Howard is a prime example.
    Yes, they see how this country is being abused by illegal asylum seekers and immigrants.
  • Options
    There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker.
    Illegal/bogus... which ever you prefer! They both mean they shouldn't be here anyway! :)
  • Options
    There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker. Ever. Illegal and bogus are not interchangable.
  • Options
    Illegal/bogus... which ever you prefer! They both mean they shouldn't be here anyway!
    Why not?
  • Options
    Illegal
    Of, relating to, or concerned with law: legal papers.

Authorized by or based on law: a legal right.
    Established by law; statutory: the legal owner.
    In conformity with or permitted by law: legal business operations.
    Recognized or enforced by law rather than by equity.
    In terms of or created by the law: a legal offense.
    Applicable to or characteristic of attorneys or their profession.

n.
    One that is in accord with certain rules or laws.
    legals Investments that may be legally made by fiduciaries and certain institutions, such as savings banks and insurance companies. Also called legal list.

and

Bogus

Counterfeit or fake; not genuine: bogus money; bogus tasks

Abstracted from www.dictionary.com

I take your point they are different words but illegal and bogus are similar.
  • Options
    i read the d mail , for the laughs
  • Options
    My Mum and her whole family read it, so we have it in our house.

I occasionally read it, but I could never take it seriously.

Scaremongers.
  • Options
    Oh dear, it didn't take lukesh long to get banned again.
  • Options
    Anyone know what he did to get banned the first time?
  • Options
    He just acted out of order the whole time. He got a lot more slack than most users as well. I think the last major thing was a thread on abortion.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Scarlet wrote:
    My Mum and her whole family read it, so we have it in our house.

I occasionally read it, but I could never take it seriously.

Scaremongers.

Same, my parents read that. Its a good laugh to read and think people beleive this toss. Laughing at anothers expense can be entertaining, until it hits you that people take this as fact. Then its just scary.
  • Options
    Do a search for lukesh's last posts.

Well worth a read.
  • Options
    The daily mail is a pet hate of mine.
    I hate the fact that people see it as more intellectual than the sun or the mirror. Even the sunday sport is more factual than the mail.
    It whips people up into hysteria, urghhh filthy right wing piece of shit. Journalism at its worst.
  • Options
    The daily mail is a pet hate of mine.
    I hate the fact that people see it as more intellectual than the sun or the mirror. Even the sunday sport is more factual than the mail.
    It whips people up into hysteria, urghhh filthy right wing piece of shit. Journalism at its worst.

I agree wholeheartedly. My mother buys it on a Saturday for the 'free magazine'. I've begged her not to and I refuse to buy it for her. She asked me last week to get it for her and I pretended they'd sold out and bought something else with a free TV magazine.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Do a search for lukesh's last posts.

Well worth a read.
    I tried, but I think when a poster gets banned, their name goes off the members list and searching for posts becomes impossible. Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of what Lukesh's posts are like, and at the risk of sounding like a softie lib, I would rather he hadn't been banned. Apart from the fact that real debate requires a mix of views, even intemperate ones, and his weren't the worst I've seen (unless the last ones broke new ground), I've seen too many rightwingers on other sites claim that leftist sites don't tolerate rightwing posters. I don't think of this place as leftwing, but it is liberal, in the sense of usually giving everyone a chance to express themselves, and on conservative sites like Protest Warrior, that's the same thing. I'm not saying I would never approve of a ban, just that for me, Lukesh hadn't crossed that theoretical line yet.

Not disputing the right of mods from any site to enforce their rules as they see fit, though.
  • Options
    His had often crossed the line. He'd recieved a lot more slack than most.

This is the thread that ended it all http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78445&page=1&pp=20&
  • Options
    Inevitably if a site decides that racist, homophobic, sexist posts are against the rules you will see a higher number of people who would define themselves as right wing who get banned.

That's not to say that the right and racism or homophobia have to go together but the majority of trolls (for example) who get banned tend to have posted with a right wing slant (hitler was right, all immigration must stop, all jews should die, etc) and their most extreme posts are delted.

The result is you get more 'right wingers' banned and you also don't have any evidence of their extreme posts left on the site (except for the mods who can still see it).

And to be honest I also get lots of complaints from people from both sides of the political field about how much freedom the 'other' side is getting, which kinda feels like it should be, as opposed to everyone just agreeing with each other.

Ultimately though the boards are going to reflect the website as a whole, the tone of postings, the content of factsheets, means that people of certain views are more likely to feel comfortable (as is the same with everything). Rules like no homophobic posts attract certain people of the 100,000 a month that look at the boards and this in its self produces an inevitable biasis.

We do our best to allow all voices to be heard within the framework set out and the banning of Luke wasn't taken lightly - however take a look at the final postings and you have to understand that after a large number of warnings we had nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    yup he was warned, and well i did speak to him through pm sometimes to try and help him clean up his arguments etc which he took notice of for a day and ocasionally made a good useful contribution. Then he fell into the same routine of making generic comments about all groups of people without any evidence to back up not even real visual evidence, just his opinion

anyway end of