Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

law degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
just a law question guys, but is it true that many firms prefer people to do a different degree course and do a one year conversion to law?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's kind of true.

Ability and aptitude is always the most important thing, but many law firms do tend to prefer history graduates as they tend to as they have more transferable skills and less supposition of what the law is.
    By and large it's down to the quality of candidate, whether you've been a Law undergrad or done a conversion. It is true though that they certainly don't mind recruiting people who have done conversions and they in fact do so often.
    I've recently asked a professor of mine that same question, because my major is Criminal Justice minor Psychology and he said that I would be a great candidate for law school. He also mentioned history as being a good major for law students.
    well specifically in my case im going to do law next year, but I have heard from some friends that they prefer people to have done somethoing they are good at/enjoy rather than choose a straight law degree.
    A broad range of interests is desirable to an employer, and choosing a degree fior its merits and not just for its earning potential is very important.

Generally history grads have broader interests and more transferable skills than law grads, who tend to focus on one bit of law as a "speciality" and ignore everything else.
    Plus Law firms work in mysterious ways- you'd be surprised how much importance some of them will even place on things like sporting experience and social interests (and will admit as much on their websites, like the site of one large firm I visited today). Being a rounded individual is perhaps the most important thing, as well as being a good candidate obviously. Even if you've done something like History at A-level it is a good thing.