Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The truth about 'pre-cum' and sperm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've seen alot of comments about this subject so thought I would try clear it up.

First of all - a woman can get pregnant from pre-cum. Sperm could be in pre-cum after a recent ejaculation, after which some sperm may be left hanging around in the urethra. "Recent" means masturbating earlier and then having sex with a woman, or during the same sexual episode of the recent ejaculation. Urinating in between ejaculations should flush the urethra of stray sperm BUT if sperm remains after a prior ejaculation, then it's possible that they can enter the vagina and make their way to meet an egg.

In conclusion - why take the risk? Play it safe, use a condom. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I didn't know that..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    melodie wrote:
    I didn't know that..... :rolleyes:

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm? :chin:
    I'm new and have read things like "pre-cum releases thousands of the buggers" etc recently so thought I would try be helpful.

Sorry if its old-hat to the regulars :wave:
  • Options
    Its alright hunny!! I'm sorry.... and hello :wave:
  • Options
    Actually, given that precum is produced by the prostate gland, and the prostate gland works by drawing sperm from the testicles, then what you have said is pretty much entirely wrong. There is a significant risk of getting pregnant from "pre-cum", and it is a risk not worth taking.

I would suggest that you retract this post as it is grossly irresponsible.

Welcome to TheSite:)
  • Options
    Same general thing as what I have said is also here:

http://magazines.ivillage.com/cosmopolitan/experts/carnal/qas/0,,638353_615777,00.html

I am not in any way trying to say its ok you won't get pregnant with pre-cum, just stating the facts.

:)
  • Options
    While it is possible to get sperm-less pre - ejaculate fluid, a man isn't exactly going to know exactly when he last urinated, or how long a time period there should be for significant levels of sperm to be present between one ejaculation than the other.

I've taught sex ed, and sometimes it's best to keep things as simple as possible to avoid confusion.

Even ivillage states:
    Since exposure to pre-ejaculatory fluid can lead to pregnancy, play it smart and have him use a condom.
    but I don't think that was your primary source.

Seriously, it might seem as clear as ice to you, but I think it will just bog people down with more information than they need. It's better to say play it safe and use a condom rather than giving people ideas that at some times, pre-ejaculatory fluid will not contain sperm. I've seen enough women at the clinic having abortions thanks to 'withdrawal' failures.

I would give serious thoughts about retracting the statement, or at least provide the presumably credible source from where you got the information.
  • Options
    Revised post below:
    Menem wrote:
    I've seen alot of comments about this subject so thought I would try clear it up.

First of all - a woman can get pregnant from pre-cum. Sperm could be in pre-cum after a recent ejaculation, after which some sperm may be left hanging around in the urethra. "Recent" means masturbating earlier and then having sex with a woman, or during the same sexual episode of the recent ejaculation. Urinating in between ejaculations should flush the urethra of stray sperm BUT if sperm remains after a prior ejaculation, then it's possible that they can enter the vagina and make their way to meet an egg.

In conclusion - why take the risk? Play it safe, use a condom. :thumb:

Better?
  • Options
    I think that this study might clear up some things!

I think that everyone should check out this study: Springer Netherlands Study

Just so you know, pre-ejaculation originates in the bulbourethral gland (or Cowper's gland), as sited from the first line in this source: Pre-ejaculate.

I would like to say that I wish more research was done into this, the first study was done with only a handful of people. And in no way shape or form am I saying that the "pullout" method work, I am just showing some reasearch that leads one to believe that pre-ejaculation won't make one pregnant.

If a person has sperm inside the penis, from a previous ejaculation, then of course sperm+pre-ejaculation= pre-ejaculation that has sperm in it.

Don't let science stop your use of precautions.

Thank,
    valeamo
  • Options
    valeamo wrote: »
    I think that everyone should check out this study: Springer Netherlands Study

Just so you know, pre-ejaculation originates in the bulbourethral gland (or Cowper's gland), as sited from the first line in this source: Pre-ejaculate.

I would like to say that I wish more research was done into this, the first study was done with only a handful of people. And in no way shape or form am I saying that the "pullout" method work, I am just showing some reasearch that leads one to believe that pre-ejaculation won't make one pregnant.

If a person has sperm inside the penis, from a previous ejaculation, then of course sperm+pre-ejaculation= pre-ejaculation that has sperm in it.

Don't let science stop your use of precautions.

Thank,
    valeamo
    I wish i knew this before the thread died, and my son was born :p
  • Options
    oooooooooooo how couldnt u no dat ppl cums is still cum
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    my son was born :p

meaning that pre-ejaculation caused your pregnancy?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I wish i knew this before the thread died, and my son was born :p

happy accident I'd have thought :)

Ummmmm GO SEE KNOCKED UP PEOPLE. It's funny.

When I was young and dumb a few blokes told me that the withdrawal method would work and I fell for it. I just got lucky and didn't get knocked up or an STI. So yeah condoms are amazing.
  • Options
    withdrawal, as a contraceptive, works 81% of the time statistically speaking.
  • Options
    old.
This discussion has been closed.