Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dr Who

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Did anyone watch it?

I watched about the first half to see if they'd actually made any improvements .. but still the cheap BBC show it always was!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I did wantto see it but wasnt in, do you know if they're reapeating it.
  • Options
    Lol I thought it was hilarious, the monsters are so cheap and crappy you just can't take it seriously. I mean a walking manikin trying to destroy the world - come on, even a 5 year old wouldn't be scared by that these days! I did think the acting was quite good though, well apart from Billie Piper sounding like she should be on the set of Eastenders at some points but still not bad, it can't beat Ant & Dec on ITV though :yippe:
  • Options
    I was scared of those shop dummy things the first time round I must say :blush:

I thought the episode was fund & v watchable - all good :)
  • Options
    i enjoyed it....even if it was a little cheesy. escapism
  • Options
    It was quite entertaining.
  • Options
    haha it's all filmed down the road from here, they zoomed in on the park and i was like wtf you can see my house on this shot
  • Options
    haha it's all filmed down the road from here, they zoomed in on the park and i was like wtf you can see my house on this shot

tbh quite a lot is filmed in Cardiff too.
  • Options
    I never got to see it as I was at work...I don't think I have ever watched an entire episode of Dr Who....one of the Dr Who's has a daughter in my year at school.
  • Options
    didn't watch it...i liked the old shows when i was a kid...you look at them now and you just can't help laughing at how ridiculous it is but ah well...
  • Options
    I enjoyed it, but then I'm old enough to remember the classic Tom Baker years. After Peter Davidson it all wne tto shite IMHO.

The only real complaint I have is that the story moved too fast. It used to be that each story was spread over a few episodes (from memory) and so you have cahnce to get the drift of the story and each ended with the Dr (or his sidekick) in danger.

This one though we had the meeting, the threat, the solution all within 45 minuted or so. Too fast.

My 6-y-o enjoyed it though...
  • Options
    Agreed. Too much too quickly.

I don't have a six year old.
  • Options
    CBC....8PM.....Tuesday, April 5th........can't wait.....Ist time the CBC has done a BBC show when it was fresh out of the can....usually we have to wait a year or so.....been a fan since the "Hartnell" days....yeah, I was youngster back then....sue me....
  • Options
    Just watched it now. Christopher Eccleston was better as the Doctor than I thought he would be. And whilst there didn't seem to be much plot in it, they had to spend a lot of time introducing the Doctor and Rose - so hopefully future episodes will be better.
  • Options
    It was always gonna be a push to explain a show from scratch and shoehorn some excitment into it in 45 minutes - thought they did a great job. The American TV movie showed how bad a mistake it was to make it all about regeneration. Should be interesting to see what they do with the end of the world next week where they can get on with telling a good story.

To be honest the idea of Russel T. Davis (who I rate as simply one of the best writers working in television) and some great future directors (Joe Ahern exspecially - his Ultraviolet is probably the best piece of SF / Fantasy anyone in the UK has done in the last 15 years) suggests that it could be something really special.

Also looking forward to Simon Pegg's turn as a baddy. Oh and the Dalek.
  • Options
    It used to be that each story was spread over a few episodes (from memory) and so you have cahnce to get the drift of the story and each ended with the Dr (or his sidekick) in danger.

Yes, this is how I remember it too. I think though that they wanted to get it all started. Hopefully some of the other stories will span more than one episode.
  • Options
    Very watchable, some of the shots were too obviously Cardiff though (i.e the flash of the Queens Arcade Sign). Did look and feel too much like it was a CBBC production. Next weeks episode looks promising.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

Simon Pegg's gonna be in it? :thumb:
  • Options
    i wonder if they'll go for another series with a new doctor, now he's quit.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    It was always gonna be a push to explain a show from scratch and shoehorn some excitment into it in 45 minutes - thought they did a great job. The American TV movie showed how bad a mistake it was to make it all about regeneration. Should be interesting to see what they do with the end of the world next week where they can get on with telling a good story.

To be honest the idea of Russel T. Davis (who I rate as simply one of the best writers working in television) and some great future directors (Joe Ahern exspecially - his Ultraviolet is probably the best piece of SF / Fantasy anyone in the UK has done in the last 15 years) suggests that it could be something really special.

I agree - Russell T Davis is an extremely good writer. I didn't get a chance to see Dr Who though, or the new thing he is doing - Casanova. has anyone seen it? I never really enjoyed Dr Who though, so i'm hoping he might make it more accessible.

And yay, Simon Pegg is a baddy - that should be cool
  • Options
    It's already been confirmed for a second series and a christmas special regardless of Ecclestone leaving.