Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interrailing in Europe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've done a search and read the various threads about it on here but I really want to know specifically about any trouble people have had whilst doing it.

I'm going in May through Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and then ending up in Amsterdam.
I'm a female, and I'm travelling on my own. I'm determined to do it...I've booked my first hostels, got the rail pass, got everything else but I really want to hear first hand experience of any problems they ran into/things I should look out for just in case.

I have bought a couple of books but even books don't tell you everything!

Thanks for any input :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Alone? :shocking: I admire your courage!

Post a reply after you've done it, let us know how it went! Im interested, anyway...

Best thing to do is learn some local phrases for the countries, like "Where is X" "How do I get to X", you might need them. Most of all: BE CAREFUL!
  • Options
    fuck i'd love to just jump on a train and go to a certain country on pure impulse, then another the next day, don't have the money for all that shite...though you could bring a tent with you and camp maybe...it'd be some craic...
  • Options
    Just take the usual precautions that you would on any holiday. Be aware of where you are, don't scream TOURIST, and be very very careful of any travelling companions you may collect.
  • Options
    Make sure you leave plenty of time to queue for any train tickets not covered by your interrail pass, because you don't want to be stranded somewhere after you miss the last train out.

As it's been said, be really careful of anyone you meet on your travels, but you'll also meet a lot of good people who are ideal to travel with for a day or two.

Basic courtesy phrases are good to know for each country as well. A good way to get the pronounciation right before you try it out on the locals is to ask who ever's on the reception desk in your hostel, because they'll be willing to help.

That's all I can think of for now, so best of luck to you!