Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tories take Flight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else laughing their asses off at this whole story?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    which bit in particular
    Sorry but the whole thing is having me in hysterics.

Firstly a Senior MP undermine the Tories election campaign by either;

a) Telling the truth about the Tory plans for public service or,
    b) Misrepresenting their plans.

Either way, he's lost them some votes and given the Labout party huge ammo. Then Howard sacks him. Then the party de-selects him. Both of which actually make me believe a) more than b)

All this only weeks before the next election (apparently).

I don't like Labour, but I dislike the Tories even more so In the words of Justin Timberlake "I'm lovin' it"
    oliver letwin did exactly the same thing a couple of years back but he remained ...why?

yes MOK ...i think the whole thing is very funny indeed.

i pray this realy does stop and make people realise these people are seriously incapable of running something as complex as a nation other than into the ground.
    THere has to be a lot of control otherwise the party collapses.

I note you aren't condemning the umpteen times Blair has insisted on a candidate nobody else likes, or barred a candidate from running because he will attack Blair. The only difference between the Tories and Labour is that the Blairite BBC always report the former and never the latter.
    Does anyone really believe the Tories would say one thing like this in private and another in public? Of cause not, they were misrepresented. It was certainly a mistake of Howard to sack him because that makes them all look guilty, he would have done better to say: "he has his facts wrong, get over it."
    Though I guesse he deserved to be sacked for saying something so stupid.
    Does anyone really believe the Tories would say one thing like this in private and another in public? Of cause not, they were misrepresented. .
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: desperate!
    Sorry but the whole thing is having me in hysterics.

Firstly a Senior MP undermine the Tories election campaign by either;

a) Telling the truth about the Tory plans for public service or,
    b) Misrepresenting their plans.

Either way, he's lost them some votes and given the Labout party huge ammo. Then Howard sacks him. Then the party de-selects him. Both of which actually make me believe a) more than b)

All this only weeks before the next election (apparently).

I don't like Labour, but I dislike the Tories even more so In the words of Justin Timberlake "I'm lovin' it"

they sacked himso he wouldnt fuck up again
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: desperate!

Once again I would never actualy vote for the "useless" Tories.
    Kermit wrote:
    I note you aren't condemning the umpteen times Blair has insisted on a candidate nobody else likes, or barred a candidate from running because he will attack Blair.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a big difference between the selection of a new candidate and the sacking and deselection of a Deputy Party Chairman.

Does anyone really believe the Tories would say one thing like this in private and another in public?

Of course they would, as would/do most parties.

Perhaps you should look into history at what Thatcher did on election - specifically you should look at VAT and the promises she made before the election and what happened afterwards.
    MrG wrote:
    they sacked himso he wouldnt fuck up again

But Letwin stayed when he said something similar.

And of course there is the leader himself ;)

I don't think Howard had much choice but to ask him to resign his post but to call for deselection makes it personal and more likely that Flight was telling the truth...IMHO
    Anyone but the Tories. If they get in on the back of a few short sighted, gestures to the politically ignorant, allowing them to ruin our economy and socially progressive momentum then the entire country's buggered. Fair enough I might get a nice cheap house when the market collapses but I don't want the country's devastation when I'm about to set out to make my way in it.
    The Conservative party created the economic conditions that allowed New Labour to thrive.

After all, if the Tories were so bad at handling the economy, why did Gordon Brown follow Clarke's budget and spending plans for the first three and a half years of office?

Just a thought.
    What the Labour government did was to bring down inflation and interest rates and keep them down- something the Tories have never been able to do in modern times.

Stability is the keyword of Labour's economic legacy. Boom-and-bust is the Tories'.
    Kermit wrote:
    The Conservative party created the economic conditions that allowed New Labour to thrive.

After all, if the Tories were so bad at handling the economy, why did Gordon Brown follow Clarke's budget and spending plans for the first three and a half years of office?

Just a thought.
    first sentence partly true.
    the rest ...he promised ...to stick to it to ease the jitters of the financial comunity ...an unknown NEW labour were asking the people totrust them with the economy.
    they had to be far removed from old labour in thaat respect.
    moderate etc ...years down the line the torys can take no pats on the pack for what labour have achieved whilst others in europe are seriously struggling.
    Kermit wrote:

Just a thought.

Black Wednesday.

Just a thought ;)

That said the Tories did leave a reasonable legacy, but also huge public sector problems. Brown therefore had to maintain the first part whilst improving the second. Worth looking around the world at how other nations have fared since 97...