Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is the only post I am making in this thread.

Basically can you answer a couple of question's please, and i'd like as many answers as possible and I don't want anyone disregarding an opinion.... Everybodys opinion counts.

How many of you smoke it, and how does it make you feel???
How many of you feel it causes severe long-term affects???
How many of you feel that it has had a positive influence in your life???

This is not a slanging contest....... I am interested to know each persons opinion.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    well yes i do smoke it...like most drugs it's really hard to describe it perfect but i suppose you get a mellowed out feeling, sometimes you get the giggles but not often, i don't know you really have to smoke it to find out, long term effects, there's been recent well documented reprts that suggests there is a link to mental illness but thats if you are already pre-disposed to mental illness i think, also if you smoke it regularly you can become quite alienated from friends but i don't smoke it as much as i used to, it has had quite a positive contribution to my life, i see things in a different perspective and a good one at that, it's sorta calmed me down, more understanding and whatnot
  • Options
    melodie wrote:
    This is the only post I am making in this thread.

Basically can you answer a couple of question's please, and i'd like as many answers as possible and I don't want anyone disregarding an opinion.... Everybodys opinion counts.

This is not a slanging contest....... I am interested to know each persons opinion.

Thank you
    bugger off back to the health forum ...i've just come to your deffence!
  • Options
    well, was going to be......
    Quote:
    It is not, of course, just positive people who can gain health-wise from using cannabis. There is a vast wealth of scientific evidence – from over 10,000 studies - demonstrating that it can also help people suffering from asthma, back pain, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, tumours, arthritis, herpes, migraine, depression, insomnia, schizophrenia, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy, rheumatism, muscle spasms, anorexia and nausea.

Little wonder, then, that prior to prohibition cannabis was one of the most widely used medical treatments. During the second half of the nineteenth century, cannabis was an ingredient in half the medicine sold in the USA. Even Queen Victoria used it for the relief of period pains. A report in 1839 by Dr W B O’Shaugnessy of the Royal Academy of Science hailed it as a miracle drug.

well, after I read this quote from Pan_chan_boo I thought I would add it....
  • Options
    yes but not everyone can be helped by having a big sack of Ganj, it is the compound THC and synthetic derrivatives that are of interest in many of these cases.

Alot of research is focused on synthesising and extracting these chemicals in isolation rather than simply giving people dope to smoke.
  • Options
    i just got feed up of being on anti d's..... 5 kinds and all have made me feel ill.. I tried a bit of cannabis, only smoke a bit at night and find it helps!!! And I know not everyone will feel the same.
  • Options
    remember though you've only been doing this short term...the long term effects of your cannabis use might not be so rosey. i would monitor closely any personal effects of smoking it, such as anxiety paranoia and increase in depressive episodes.
  • Options
    As smoking alot of weed tends to make you think way too much about everything.
  • Options
    I've been smoking for a while, but I'm not one of those "every day" type posers that the society has bowed to. Actually I used to be frowned upon when I started smoking and now everyone is a total hypocrite.

The effects are hard to describe. Physically you feel as if you have no control of your body for the first 20-30 minutes, and that's usually the most intense period. Your mind however is on overdrive and different interpretations of the same situations are whizzing by.
    I find it very interesting to analyze what's going on around me. Instead of just taking advantage of what I am experiencing, as the majority of smokers do now-a-days. God, listen to me, I'm talking as if it happened decades ago. How pathetic.

I think it may cause some long term effects, but I've not lived long enough to experiance them.

I can't nessisarily say a positive influence. I'm still single and nothing's really changed with me. I say it's definately an experiance.
  • Options
    As smoking alot of weed tends to make you think way too much about everything.

it certainly can increase the propensity in those who are susceptable anyway (is it me or do i sound like a stuck record today?)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I smoke a bit now and again when I choose to buy some. Effects? It varies depending on how much I smoke. ALOT and well, lets just say my perception of the world changes alot. Its like I can see and hear more. An average amount, um, im more chatty, talk bollocks (hehe!) food tastes better (Chinese especially! :yum: ). Its a good effect.
    I can't comment, only been doing it for a few years, so meh.
    I wouldn't even say it has an effect on my general life, TBH. Im not a heavy user, I don't do joints (Tobbaco = Not for me.). I like it.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    melodie wrote:
    It is not, of course, just positive people who can gain health-wise from using cannabis. There is a vast wealth of scientific evidence – from over 10,000 studies - demonstrating that it can also help people suffering from asthma, back pain, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, tumours, arthritis, herpes, migraine, depression, insomnia, schizophrenia, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy, rheumatism, muscle spasms, anorexia and nausea.

Little wonder, then, that prior to prohibition cannabis was one of the most widely used medical treatments. During the second half of the nineteenth century, cannabis was an ingredient in half the medicine sold in the USA. Even Queen Victoria used it for the relief of period pains. A report in 1839 by Dr W B O’Shaugnessy of the Royal Academy of Science hailed it as a miracle drug.

Firstly, where did that quote come from, did she provide a source?

Secondly, what is probably being referred to there are the results of trials, done on a relatively small scale over shorter periods of time, and not yet thoroughly researched and evidenced - that is one of the reasons why cannabis isn't in widespread medical use. I'm not saying there isn't a case, just that there isn't the body of evidence yet to back it up.

Thirdly, science and our understanding of medicine and mental health has come quite a long way since 1839...

And lastly, there is a growing body of evidence to suggest that cannabis triggers mental health problems in those who are predisposed, and exacerbates the condition of those users who already have problems. There was a thread about it here. And all mental health professionals would strongly advise against a person with depression or other mental illness self medicating with recreational drugs.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Firstly, where did that quote come from, did she provide a source?

It appears to come from Peter Tatchell
  • Options
    melodie wrote:

You can use turn of the centry medicine if you like, I think I'd rather trust modern methods.
  • Options
    I smoke cannabis, I tend to buy it and smoke it with my friends, I only ever smoke alone if there's some of a joint left over. I never roll them, in fact, I can't roll particularly well, which I find helps if you don't want to smoke too much. The only thing i'm worried about is getting addicted to cigarettes through the tobacco in the joint. It's happened to people I know, and I hate cigarettes, I've never smoked one ever, and I don't plan to. Sorry, off topic.
  • Options
    remember though you've only been doing this short term...the long term effects of your cannabis use might not be so rosey. i would monitor closely any personal effects of smoking it, such as anxiety paranoia and increase in depressive episodes.

I will admit, in the past I suffered from paranoia bought on by cannabis, so I gave up, but I did smoke loads of it back then and was in the wrong company.
    As long as I stay being sensible I doubt I will have a problem.
  • Options
    Yes, sometimes i nearly pass out with laffing 2 much :P

I think it does cos im fuked up sometimes and cant remeber shit all lol.

Yeh tis fun to get recked with m8s. Somethin gd to look bak on
  • Options
    Wouldn't u rather make acheivements in your life like gain some kind of qualification and look back and be proud.
    Some ppl must think lifes just about getting wrecked!!
  • Options
    I know cannabis has been severely detrimental to my year at Uni, which is not great :no:

...but I have to say it makes life a lot more barable. Kind of makes it all seem nice and fluffy and relaxed. So in that respect it's great.
  • Options
    melodie wrote:
    i just got feed up of being on anti d's..... 5 kinds and all have made me feel ill.. I tried a bit of cannabis, only smoke a bit at night and find it helps!!! And I know not everyone will feel the same.

Thing is, if you're badly depressed, the chances are cannabis will make it worse...are you smoking grass or soapbar?
  • Options
    hope it's not soapbar......
  • Options
    melodie wrote:
    Wouldn't u rather make acheivements in your life like gain some kind of qualification and look back and be proud.

The trick is doing both. I'm verging on a drop out...but if i was to complete university, maybe get Honours, then it'd be excellent for self-assessment...and also give me a good safety net.

Sitting about getting wasted all day is good fun...but a time comes when you need to get yourself sorted out...i've seen what happens if you don't, and it's not desirable.
  • Options
    some people are silly...
  • Options
    look, try it then give it up,believe me its not worth it.not worth it
  • Options
    too much damage for a short paranoia nigh, much like cocaine (not the effects)
  • Options
    melodie wrote:

I smoke it sometimes daily, sometimes I go without for weeks. It makes me feel relaxed, chilled, happy and creative.

I think it only causes severe long term effects when it's abused and people smoke it all day everyday.

I think it's had a positive influence on my life because it's chilled me out and made me feel more relaxed when I've been stressed and need to feel that way.
  • Options
    melodie wrote:

Yeh but cant just look back on qualifications and smile :) . Gotta have some fun in there too :hyper:

I am sensible though :thumb:
  • Options

very good high but too short..the other night i could have took anyone on...the grinding of the teeth...the numbness of the mouth..come on the fuck...1 hour later...give me more....repeat...i could see addictiveness from that drug...too good but too expensive.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    very good high but too short..the other night i could have took anyone on...the grinding of the teeth...the numbness of the mouth..come on the fuck...1 hour later...give me more....repeat...i could see addictiveness from that drug...too good but too expensive.

Had some amphetamine thrown in with the coke if you were grinding your teeth...always hate coke cut with speed, fucks the buzz up tbh.

The cost is fairly high...but when you think about it, a quarter ounce of grass is going to cost you about £40 as well...smoking weed throughout the week is like maintaining a smack habit, financially lol.
  • Options

mmmmm not really true.

Paranoia is only one side of the coin. There's an immense depth to cannabis, it goes far beyond a bit of giggling & paranoia.
  • Options
    I used to smoke all day long. I have not smoke in about a year. Quiting was a shock to everyone around me. I was the "smoke until i die, everyone should smoke..." kind of smoker. I quit for health reasons. It was giving me anxiety. Heart rate would sky rocket up to 180. I know your heart rate is suppost to go up. so shut the f up im not a newbie to drugs. a note on the complaints of cannabis being illegal. cannabis can be legal but only if: 1. The DEA wont lose jobs due to the legalization of cannabis. 2. Pharmaceutical companies wont lose money. 3. Most of all the governments dont lose money.