Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going from College to uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is there a major jump from being at college to going to uni? I am doing my HND at college and have been acepted straight into third year at uni. Will there be a big jump?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I did a HND too, my mates were all accepted onto the 3rd year of a uni in Birmingham, but i was accepted onto the 2nd year in Wolverhampton, despite getting a higher level HND than they did. To be honest though this to me was a blessing, i feel as though the extra year has really prepared me! I can't say for you, your college is no doubt different from mine. Although my HND was a uni standard, when i actually started at uni i noticed a huge difference! Have you done a dissertation at HND? I did one, but looking back (with my current standards and new dissertation) it was a load of crap.
    But don't get too freaked out, my mates went on to get a 2.2 no problems! :chin:
  • Options
    What is a dissertation?
  • Options
    You havent done one on your HND!? Thats so unfair..i've done two now. Its an extremly long assignment anything from 10,000-20,000 words. I think you only have to do them if your doing an Honours degree, eg BA (hons), but don't qoute me on that.
  • Options
    The uni cource that I have been accepted in is a BA (hons) and I haven't had to do that.
  • Options
    I heard you can only get an honours degree if you do a dissertation. How much info did you get about the course?
  • Options
    Our college works with that specific uni and all i know is that we get a bridge course when we go to the uni. But then again you live in england and things are done differently in scotland and england.
  • Options
    Yeah i suppose so. If you really want to be prepared though find out as much about the course as you can. If there is a website go onto it and check out what modules there are, compulsary and choice.
  • Options
    Ok i will do, thanks.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Ok i will do, thanks.

Reading it I think you are getting confused (apologies if you are not). You haven't done a HND dissertation BUT for your honours year (year 4) you will have to do a dissertation [usually worth 50% of the overall mark] and this what determines what classifiction of honours you get, i.e. first, upper second, lower second or third. The remainder of the 50% will be the usual exams etc.

I personally never did a HND but a few friends have and they never did a dissertation for their HND. I think it would be a good idea especially since you are entering into third year but don't worry - your dissertation supervisor will help you along. But that is a couple of years away.

What you doing your degree in....?
  • Options
    My degree is in business administration.
  • Options
    Doing a HND at college and aiming for second and third year entry at my university and art school applications. At college lecturers can be quite laid-back about deadlines but I know at university it's a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    i would think it wouldn't be such a big jump really, because your college and university are working in partnership to make a "top up" from the HND to the BA/BSc... so they will have already given alot of forethought to how to make that step across as easy as possible.