Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mental health and E's and Cannabis

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Alcohol in large quantities over a long period is physically addictive and sudden withdrawl is very likely to kill you.
    Alcohol in large quantities over a long period is physically addictive and sudden withdrawl is very likely to kill you.

I wouldnt say 'very' likely, its a possibility like with benzo's or barbs, but it doesnt happen in most cases.
    but then there are very few people who completely withdraw from booze, after years of dependance, on that model of complete abstension.

This information i was given again by the Dr i was speaking to at the Uni, people who have been alcoholics for donkeys DO die from this and the complications it provokes, more regularly than people think. It is the number of people that reach this state that restricts this number.
    Well yes, once you've been an alcoholic for years and years its highly likely you arent going to stop, which is a shame of course.

Having said that I know a bloke who was one for at least a half dozen years and he's clean now, except St Patricks Day.
    J wrote:
    It's not nice, trust me. Thankfully I have a strong mind, although it was better suited to thinking on a finer resolution now it seems very round about, slap dash etc.

here man i know exactly what that feels like...5 years of drug taking has gottern my mind in some places...i know and i'm sure you know things that other people will never know...perception of reality and the universe and all...it freaks me out a lot of the time but my mind is strong enough to beat it all and i know i'm alright if i really will myself to be "normal!"
    your right turlough the mind is such a powerful thing more powerful than we'll ever know. drugs make u think to much about fucked up things and sometimes it freaks the fuck out of you :banghead:
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'd say an addiction to alcohol would probably have a negative impact upon your mental health.

I wasn't talking about addiction to either, though. The pyschedelic effect of cannabis is mind-altering in a way that alcohol isn't. For example my vision is permanently tripped out.
    Id say alcohol can fuck you up mentaly. People can kill themselves in one night with alcohol, so Id say it can do some damage to the mind, even if it is only a little.

Football = bunch of grown men chasing a bag of air round a field.
    From this somehow we gain football hooligans who go round causing havock and injuring people. That and its stealing money from hard working families with stupidly over priced merchandise and creates morons who become obsessed with people like david beckham.

I say football is the worst out the lot. :lol:

Alcohol has dangers, yes...cannabis largely carries different risks, however - mostly pyschological. Alcohol won't alter your mind or change how you perceive the world, whereas as cannabis can and sometimes does.
    turlough wrote:
    here man i know exactly what that feels like...5 years of drug taking has gottern my mind in some places...i know and i'm sure you know things that other people will never know...perception of reality and the universe and all...it freaks me out a lot of the time but my mind is strong enough to beat it all and i know i'm alright if i really will myself to be "normal!"

I know someone who stopped smoking weed for a while, except the occasional bit of soapbar...he says his thinking hasn't gone back to normal, although his vision has.

So he's still bumbling about trying to fathom out the riddles of existence even after he's quit.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I know someone who stopped smoking weed for a while, except the occasional bit of soapbar...he says his thinking hasn't gone back to normal, although his vision has.

So he's still bumbling about trying to fathom out the riddles of existence even after he's quit.

my mind (except for the odd relapse of "what the fuck is going on here") is alright at the moment, it's my vision thats fucked up, i'm not sure what caused it but i'm sure it's a combo of all drugs mixed together,i get random visuals just popping up and it freaks me out something serious...
    those pink ones
    i get that as well turlough. u think u see people and things that arent there and you hear things that freak u out big time to a point that its not funny anymore just head wreaking. u ever wonder if u'll be like that for the rest of your life if so then fuck that shit :banghead:
    I know what you mean though, sometimes little white dots appearing in your vision. I find whenever i get stoned on the comedown and i mean properly stoned you feel like your stuck in your mind almost like a television and all the thoughts are racing through your head, sometimes you don't know what's going on.
    I don't know if you'll be like it all your life..there isn't enough evidence showing the results of long term ecstacy use, who knows what you could be like when your older. could be normal.could be pure fried.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    WTF? Your all a bunch of larry lightweights. A few drugs and you've all gone fucking nuts.

I was doing buckets when most of you were just a twitch in you fathers nut sack! :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    WTF? Your all a bunch of larry lightweights. A few drugs and you've all gone fucking nuts.

I was doing buckets when most of you were just a twitch in you fathers nut sack! :D

...and have you turned out ok?
    i tend to get a lot of visual distortions after lots of speed (espically with no sleep and espically after smoking a lot of cannibas when coming down) and sometimes after e's

the most annoying thing is when you see a little dot, its like a pixel in your vision, and you look at it and it disappears ... or just seeing shit out of the corner of your eye that isn't there ..

but i dont find it to be much of a problem

something that i've noticed from ecstasy use in fairly large doses over a while is that during the week you get like ... head 'zaps', its a really weird feeling in your head and you can hear it in your ears ... i done a bit of looking about online and it was said that serotonin receptors shrink due to ecstasy abuse (firing so fast) and they regenerate during the week, giving these weird feelings

has anyone else felt these or have any idea what they are ?
    Except they dont 'regenerate' during the week at all, and it looks relatively likely they dont regenerate at all, ever.

What that means for the persons long term health isnt really understood, but to suggest the brain can repair itself that quickly is just totally wrong.

Seritonin levels do seem to dip mid week and then go up a little after a week or two, but thats quite different from the actual receptors changing.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    addicted7 wrote:
    ...and have you turned out ok?

Just fine thanks. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    bongbudda wrote:
    Except they dont 'regenerate' during the week at all, and it looks relatively likely they dont regenerate at all, ever.

What that means for the persons long term health isnt really understood, but to suggest the brain can repair itself that quickly is just totally wrong.

Seritonin levels do seem to dip mid week and then go up a little after a week or two, but thats quite different from the actual receptors changing.

someone on the shroomery.org irc room was saying about it, i have no idea

has anyone else expierenced the feelings im talking about ?
    z01 wrote:
    the most annoying thing is when you see a little dot, its like a pixel in your vision, and you look at it and it disappears ... or just seeing shit out of the corner of your eye that isn't there ..

:yes: thats exactly what i get...wee red spots and it does just dissapear...only it freak me out...
    I get that sometimes but it dosen't freak me out.
    z01 wrote:
    someone on the shroomery.org irc room was saying about it, i have no idea

Well take it from me that they have no understanding of the way the brain functions.

Have a look at the thread a while back called 'interesting research' that has some good PDF files on this topic.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well take it from me that they have no understanding of the way the brain functions.

Have a look at the thread a while back called 'interesting research' that has some good PDF files on this topic.

lol someone there is some neurology guy (but it mightn't have been him who said it, and probably wasn't if he was wrong lol)

ill look for the thread
    Well, I'm not claiming to have extensive knowledge of nuerology, however I can tell you as fact that the seritonin receptors do not 'regenerate' within a week.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well, I'm not claiming to have extensive knowledge of nuerology, however I can tell you as fact that the seritonin receptors do not 'regenerate' within a week.

:yes: I have to agree, I have seen no research that would indicate that was the case, quite the opposite in fact.
    No ones really sure if they do regenerate over a much longer period, thats very very difficult to measure in living people, a mass of ex MDMA users brains would really help research, though they are somewhat hard to come by.

And whether or not they regenerate is really only half the issue, the effect of the nerve damage is not known, it would seem that in the long term most MDMA users dont score greatly differently on depression indicators compared to other drug users.
    lol, i wasn't trying to say that was right, i asked if anyone else had had the feelings... im no neurologist :)

and i found the thread, interesting, but ill have to sit down and read it in more detail sometime ... but definatly something i should be wary of :crazyeyes
    drug abuse but cannibas espically made me a complete paranoid bastard (really bad) about my ex girlfriend (long term relationship) and ruined everything ... then i fucked off out and hit all the other drugs in stupid amounts to make everything better ... now 7 months later im still doing the same stupid things and fucking myself up even more

call me an idiot, but noones perfect :(
    I think part of the problem with cannabis is that is seems so slight, so normal, people dont really think much of being stonned most of the time, being intoxicated on anything most of the time isnt going to do you any favours.
    hell caffeine's got its health consequences for all you coffee drinkers out there.