Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mental health and E's and Cannabis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right ive read loads of stuff now what cannabis can do if someone already has problems i wont go on because there is enough topics on that! but what r the consequences if someone has problems and still proceeds to take E's??? forget the fact that person maybe ignorant or daft yes i know that but what problems can occur? can schizoprenia occur with hittin this drug and when i say hitting this drug i mean lyk having 1 or 2 pills when they go nightclubbin lyk once a fortnight. im aware maybe depression might get out of control (somebody help me out on that 1 im guessing) what other things could happen?

any answers would be greatful!

thanks u lot!! :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think it would be a good idea, especially on the comedown if you've got mental health problems.

Search google or erowid.
    takin a few Es or tking a hundred Es wont give you mental health problems... it mite fuck your brain up physically but it wont affect you personality like scitzophrenia does..

i was sectioned under mental health act s.3 recently i felt this was because i was being punished for smoking weed.. but really it was cos i was being a wanker and being defiant ' i would smoke weed again yes i would'... but i took a few pills the other week and hadnt felt that good in years since i last dropped. go for it,.

alex
    whats the worst that can hppen when you get pilled up tho really? u mite dehydrate which is serious or worse drink too much water, but osmo regulation never gave me any troubles.. you're so sensually aware that if you want to drink water you will simple as!
    if you or anyone in your family has a history of schiezophrenic or depressive illness you really are playing with fire if you indulge in any psychoactive substances, particularly cannabis and anything in the amphetamine family (Ecstasy, Speed/base, Methamphetamine).

Anything psychoactive is a potential risk to mental health in those who are predisposed to illness, if you have relatives that exhibit or you yourself exhibit such symptoms think very carefully before you take any of these.
    well tbh there is only one person in my family who had schizophrenia but thats it. it was my uncle rest his soul and i think his divorce killed him more than anything else! im not sure if he was on cannabis before or started after but he ended up a wreck! and eventually he commited suicide in 1990! but thats about it! and i had depression before drugs and during and still some now! i would by lying if i sed i was 100% happy with life but ive been going thru therapy now since last july and even he has noticed a difference in me! alot happier! tbh i am worried about the cannabis and me but im not with E's thats why i asked! cheers for the help tho ppl. im still :confused: tho
    i dont quite understand, are you taking both cannabis and ecstasy?

If you are then to be honest it would be very unwise not to be worried about your E use, with your mental health history and that of your relative you really are walking a dodgy path if you are using them, you may not be worried but frankley you should be.

Cannabis can and does exaccerbate mental health symptoms in particular types of depressive illness and schiezophrenia, i really dont recommend it with your history.

If i were you i would steer well clear to be frank.
    no not cannabis. just E's really. once a fortnight or every 3 weeks or a month and longer. drink 2-3 times a week. and no cannabis! hope that clears things up. im just hoping by stayin off cannabis no schizophrenia will ahppen with the E's! its a dodgy subject in it no one knows a 100% i guess! just wanted ruff ideas of outcomes. but thanx anyways.
    Ecstasy is fantastic and i know no one ever want to let it go, but you are really flying in the face of common sense here.

there is a far greater risk posed to someone with your history from regular E use than from cannabis on present evidence...
    im just hoping by stayin off cannabis no schizophrenia will ahppen with the E's!

and i sincerely hope you are right and nothing bad does happen to you...but if you carry one like this and disregard the advice given to you the outlook is not rosy....please at least see your GP (who will treat everything in the strictest confidence) and get his opinion...
    takin a few Es or tking a hundred Es wont give you mental health problems... it mite fuck your brain up physically but it wont affect you personality like scitzophrenia does..

i was sectioned under mental health act s.3 recently i felt this was because i was being punished for smoking weed.. but really it was cos i was being a wanker and being defiant ' i would smoke weed again yes i would'... but i took a few pills the other week and hadnt felt that good in years since i last dropped. go for it,.

alex
    whats the worst that can hppen when you get pilled up tho really? u mite dehydrate which is serious or worse drink too much water, but osmo regulation never gave me any troubles.. you're so sensually aware that if you want to drink water you will simple as!
    bad post ...ignore.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    stevey, health professionals will tell you that if you are prone to depression or mental illness, illegal drug taking will have an adverse effect on your mental health.

The issue with ecstacy is that in simple terms it encourages your brain to release serotonin, a chemical that helps to make you feel good. This chemical is always present in your brain, but after you have taken e it becomes depleted. This is part of the reason you feel so bad as you are coming down off ecstacy. Serotonin then takes some time to build up to your 'normal' levels again, leaving you vulnerable to negative feelings if you are prone to depression.

This is a very simplistic explaination, there is more information in the MDMA Vaults from the Erowid website. I would recommend you read the book E is for Ecstacy by Nicholas Saunders, particularly chapters 4 (What it does and how it works) and 6 (Dangers) to find out more. The whole book is available online at the link I just posted.

You are in a higher risk group for drug taking if you have a history of mental illness in your family of have depression - take care!

alex

about as wrong and innaccurate as wrong and inaccurate can be, not to mention reckless irresponsible and harmful
    I don't think they'll drive you crazy or anything, but they can lead to bad depression, and overuse can kill people's personalities. Not change them - just kill them.
    personaly id say the drugs have nothing to do with affecting mental health badly, to me it all depends on the person. .

:chin: do you know where 'the person' ...resides within the body?
    the persons ...'mentality' ...doesn't reside in the gastric juices.
    [quote[personaly id say the drugs have nothing to do with affecting mental health badly,[/quote]

and you maintain this view in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary?
    Drugs like cannabis have been proven to help mental illnessess

Wheres your evidence? This is rubbish, the relative consensus at the moment is that it exaccerbates a whole host of mental health problems.
    Id say if your responsible, and know what your doing, its fine, of course if your in a state of depression, then dont use hard drugs, thats like handing a knife to someone who is currently suicidal, or holding a full cup of coffee while you've got the jitters. Where as if your ok, it should be no worry.

this is a gross, dangerous and deeply flawed assessment of a very complex set of issues involving very different substances.

Pan_Chan_Boo i dont say this likely but the majority of that post is baseless bollocks that flys in the face of most popular thinking and simplistic in the extreme. You are making claims you cannot possibly substantiate
    martin b ...there is actualy evidence of ecstasy being a very powerful and useful medication in emotional and mental ilness ...under very controlled conditions of course.
    cannabis also can be very therapuetic in alcoholism and addiction problems as well as a whole hostr of other complaints and ailments ...where the previous advice is wrong though ...is the attitude of pay your money and take yer chance ...and it might all work out ok ...then again it might not.
    martin b ...there is actualy evidence of ecstasy being a very powerful and useful medication in emotional and mental ilness ...under very controlled conditions of course

oh no i know that, believe me i've spent the past week reading about it after seeing a documentary with Shulgin, and i didnt actually dispute that in my post i was only specifically taking issue with the cannabis issue.

Ecstasy does have potential applications in the Psychotherepeutic treatment of post traumatic stress in particular as a strong empathic that is very good at the physical act of supressing anxious reaction to trauma

cannabis in the treatment of alcohol and heroin addiction is much more hotly contested in particular with regard to the implications for the already fragile mental state of some users. The case for its formal medical application in this area is not as convincing (yet) as for, say, pain relief in some areas.
    LadyJade wrote:
    stevey, health professionals will tell you that if you are prone to depression or mental illness, illegal drug taking will have an adverse effect on your mental health.

The issue with ecstacy is that in simple terms it encourages your brain to release serotonin, a chemical that helps to make you feel good. This chemical is always present in your brain, but after you have taken e it becomes depleted. This is part of the reason you feel so bad as you are coming down off ecstacy. Serotonin then takes some time to build up to your 'normal' levels again, leaving you vulnerable to negative feelings if you are prone to depression.

This is a very simplistic explaination, there is more information in the MDMA Vaults from the Erowid website. I would recommend you read the book E is for Ecstacy by Nicholas Saunders, particularly chapters 4 (What it does and how it works) and 6 (Dangers) to find out more. The whole book is available online at the link I just posted.

You are in a higher risk group for drug taking if you have a history of mental illness in your family of have depression - take care!

Erm, its not really as simple as that, the 'comedown' isnt really understood and there isnt all that much clear research to suggest that seritonin does come back and if it doesnt whether that leads to depression.

Oh, and though that book by Saunders is good for some things I would look at it as just another source. I would not take it as 100% fact, his chemistry knowledge isnt perfect, I found at least a couple or errors in it.

You are right though, using such strong drugs as MDMA when you have pre-existing mental health issues is unwise.
    and so I dare not pull facts and figures knowing that there are facts and figures that can both disregard and conflict

thats not a reason at all, you cant deny providing evidence because its not an wholly indisputable, we weigh up the available data and make comment on balance of evidence and logical conclusion.
    Drugs like cannabis have been proven to help mental illnessess

i am not disputing the medical evidence that i cannabis (and similar synthetic compounds) do have potential medical applications, but your evidence quote from the last post is quite different from the above one. It has been SUGGESTED in studies (god we are really dangerously simplifying things here) not conclusively proved, and as you say there is contradictory evidence in, for example, treatment of depressive illness.

To be honest the debate we are having here is to broad anyway, the only we we are really going to get anywhere is to (as rolly did) present each application of each substance as an individual debate.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Erm, its not really as simple as that,

Really? Is that why I wrote 'this is a very simplistic explaination' perhaps? And provided references for further reading? If you could explain it better I would appreciate you doing so, I am sure we would all find it useful to refer to.
    And even if a drug can have a possitive impact for some people with mental health concerns doesnt mean its great for everyone.

Prozac can really help some people, others hate it.
    As far as im concerned, facts and figures are never right. There will always be bias opinions influencing test conditions or published results, it can swing either way.

which is exactley why i took issue with your first post, but even then we can only make decisions based upon the information we have at present. what you are doing there is acknowledging contestation and variation in research, and then basically calling everything rubbish because none of it is 100% conclusive. this isnt very helpful given that at any one time the very nature of variation implies more validity in some areas than others.

I am not disputing the assertion that in your case that cannabis may have had benefits for you in the time you have been using it, but equally it is very hard to prove that your improvement is soley the result of cannabis use. People's depressive states do fluctuate and its not always the introduction of a chemical is the primary factor.
    Many people have seen their fair share of cannabis being a problem, Id prefer to remove alcohol first as that is where I see most of the destruction, (And football) but as always there is at least one person who relys on these substances, and will provide a reason too keep them circulating.

Not being funny but, while we all know its true, constantly going on about how its a scandal that alcohol is legal and marijuana isnt doesnt really get us anywhere or add anything to the debate on applications of marijuana in this case.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Really? Is that why I wrote 'this is a very simplistic explaination' perhaps? And provided references for further reading? If you could explain it better I would appreciate you doing so, I am sure we would all find it useful to refer to.

Thats fair, I was being overtly picky, you were presenting the rough basis for the action of MDMA and I was attempting to play the smart arse.

I'm big enough to say I was, perhaps, this time, slightly wrong.
    BONGBUDDA:
    "I was, perhaps, this time, slightly wrong"

im putting this in BIG LETTERS.....coz im a cunt :D
    Martin that was just plain rude.

Thanks Bong, & I apologise for being so snarky, I wasn't in the best of moods this morning, as you could probably tell.

Many people have seen their fair share of cannabis being a problem, Id prefer to remove alcohol first as that is where I see most of the destruction, (And football) but as always there is at least one person who relys on these substances, and will provide a reason too keep them circulating.

As far as im concerned, facts and figures are never right. There will always be bias opinions influencing test conditions or published results, it can swing either way.

Alcohol isn't psychedelic - it doesn't fuck you up mentally. Comparisons between weed and booze can't really be made on that level...

Alcohol and weed are polar opposites...and that goes for the associated problems which come with both.

And what's football got do with this? :confused:
    Martin that was just plain rude.

oh come on, someone of his age and supposed extreme maturity can take it...

He's knows im only yanking his plank :D
    :eek2: I didn't realise you two knew each other that well..
    you obviously dont moderate the PM system :D

Booze and weed are polar opposites, as are the associated problems with both to some extent. You can't really make a comparison.

And what's football got to do with this lol :confused:

I told you not to mention that here.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Alcohol isn't psychedelic - it doesn't fuck you up mentally. Comparisons between weed and booze can't really be made on that level...

Alcohol and weed are polar opposites...and that goes for the associated problems which come with both.:

I'd say an addiction to alcohol would probably have a negative impact upon your mental health.