Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

uni lecturers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
does anyone have uni lecturers that are horrible?

i have one that is so cocky he needs his head hoovering out of his own arse, one who is just moody, and one who enjoys making students feel small and stupid (this one just happens to be my dissertation project superviser :( )

I email them about something, and i get a 1 word answer...surely a full sentence and with "regards <insert name>" at the end wouldnt take up too much effort?

Its really getting to me now! i thought a lecturer was supposed to be approachable. I dont feel like i could go and talk to any of them really. Shame seeing as i need to.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah we have loads of lecturers like that. Thankfully most seem to be leaving at the end of this year though. :D

Just wish they'd sometimes realise that really if it wasn't for us being there they'd be out of a job so they should really show us some respect.
  • Options
    one who enjoys making students feel small and stupid
    :yes: there are a few i know like that; it's not very nice to be on the recieving end of it. :(
    but, some of my lecturers are really nice people, so i guess that kind of makes up a bit for the bad ones. :)
  • Options
    I have lots of lecturers who are just evil and seem bored when I go to them with questions. I have two lecturers who are just angels though which makes me feel better, one of them is just so helpful :love:
  • Options
    well this thread has made me feel better, i was thinking that maybe its just the uni im at that has all the arse lecturers, but i guess its just another annoying aspect of uni life. thanks people!
  • Options
    I think it's the fact they would rather be tucked away doing thier research rather than teaching first years the absolute basics of thier subject.
  • Options
    First years was just an example - I just meant lectures would rather talk about their specific subject with someone on their own level. I know plenty of lecturers who teach their first and second year courses pretty badly but are alot more enthusiastic when it comes to stuff in third year courses or above.
  • Options
    im not a first year...

and im not talking about teaching attitudes, im talking about attitudes in general, like when you send them an email. All my lecturers are fine in lectures and teach in a very enthusiastic way.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    loftx2 wrote:
    I think it's the fact they would rather be tucked away doing thier research rather than teaching first years the absolute basics of thier subject.

Even if that is the case they should still do their job properly. They are paid to be lecturers to first years as well as do research and teach fourth years.

The thing with lecturers is that they were never trained in people skills or even how to teach so therefore, a huge percentage of them can't actually do it properly.

I have had my fair share of bad lecturers. I had one maths lecturer who should not have been allowed to teach. He has a really bad lisp, talked in a monotone and talked into the blackboard. When approached about a problem he would say "well, you obviously didn't listen in my lecture" and walked off! Eventually, people stopped attending his lectures. I was glad that he was mainly covering stuff that we covered in school as would've hated to have him later on in uni with lots of new stuff.
  • Options
    My dissertation supervisor is a very tall and broard man with a big booming voice. He scares the crap out of me and i hate going for tutorials with him! :nervous: