Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Implanon problems!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just looking for some advice about Implanon... as I'm extremely confused!

I've wanted to come off the pill for a while, so I had the contraceptive implant fitted on 21st February the week after my last period. The doctor told me I wouldn't be protected for the first 7 days, so she told me to keep taking my pill. I asked her if I should take the pill until I finish the packet and she said yes.

So on Saturday I stopped taking my pill, expecting to have a period this week. Only I haven't come on my period yet, which is quite worrying.

It's highly unlikely I'm pregnant because I took precautions for the first 7 days after having the Implanon fitted. Although I don't know if it's the Implanon stopping me from having a period? It's very confusing... I just want to come on so I know everything's okay!

Has anyone else had this problem with Implanon?
And has anyone had the Implanon fitted while still taking the pill?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not too sure about this one. I don't have the pill, or this implant thing.
    I'd go back to your doctor, chat with her about the problem. Good luck.
    Captain wrote:
    I'm not too sure about this one. I don't have the pill, or this implant thing.

My my arnt you helpful :rolleyes:

Have you had recently with out a condom? How regulary do you take you pills? Meaning do you always take them properly? How long has it been since you came off your pills? Sorry for all the questions. It might be they implant thats messing your cycle up if youve been careful with you pills. I'd wait a week and if your still not on go back to the drs. Try not to think about it because strss can cause you to be late as well.
    When I had the implant fitted and finished my pill it did take quite awhile to actually come on. I worried like hell at the time.
    Zella wrote:
    My my arnt you helpful :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    implanon can make you irregular.

i always thought the science behind the pill was that you had a period on your break but its not a period as such - just a withdrawal from the hormones you have previously been taking - implanon, having the progestorone in would mean you wouldnt have a full hormone withdrawal(hence no period) and your body needs time to adjust to the new levels???

like someone else said, your doctor will be the best option...but my implanon made me really irregular.

i was also told that the only reason they usually put it in when you are on your period is coz it mostly proves you aren't pregnant - but is effective right away,the pill may have been them making sure there was no sperm window as it can live in your body for 5 days and even half a day is enough for them to do their thing- covering their own backs?

anyway, yes, doctors to be sure!!!
    I had mine taken out cos it was a pain........ made me ill! and I want a baby!! :D
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I would recommend you give the FPA a call on their helpline, the number is in the link, and find out for sure. That, or visit your GP again.
    Perhaps it is because I still have prostergen in my body that I haven't had a period yet... although the classic PMT symptoms are present!
    During the first 7 days after having the implant fitted, I didn't use condoms but I took the pill every day at the same time, so I can't imagine I wasn't protected during the first week.
    I have a follow-up appointment at the FPC on 29th March so I don't know if I should wait until then and mention it.
    Just to be on the safe side though, I think I'll give fpa a call. It is slightly worrying!
    Ive had nothing but problems since ive had the implanon implant in.

When i got it i thought everything would be fine and dandy... but no....

Ive had it in for just over a month now... and since having it in.... my period was late by a week, then i bled for 2 weeks straight and now having S&D.
    Since having it in, ive also had bad headaches and pains all over my body. These are no normal pains, they are like stabbing and shooting pains all over, and more so in my stomach and down inside.

Its a nightmare.
    I want it out.

Good luck to you if you are thinking of having it, but dont just take my experience as gold as it effects everyone differently x
    Ive had nothing but problems since ive had the implanon implant in.

When i got it i thought everything would be fine and dandy... but no....

Ive had it in for just over a month now... and since having it in.... my period was late by a week, then i bled for 2 weeks straight and now having S&D.
    Since having it in, ive also had bad headaches and pains all over my body. These are no normal pains, they are like stabbing and shooting pains all over, and more so in my stomach and down inside.

Its a nightmare.
    I want it out.

Good luck to you if you are thinking of having it, but dont just take my experience as gold as it effects everyone differently x

You do realise that this thread is 4 years old?
    You do realise that this thread is 4 years old?

Yes, i am fully aware of this.

But the thread is still open and ive only just found it.
    So giving my experience for anyone else who may come across it.