Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

excessive sweating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, wondered if you could help me.
I think i sweat too much and its getting embarrassing cause even though i use roll on and antiperspirant i still get sweat patches under my arms even if im only wearing a tshirt.
Is there anything i could use to stop this? i am really embarrassed about wearing jumpers and things and paranoid about the smell. :blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The smell is caused by bacteria, so as long as you're keeping things clean, there shouldn't be a problem. If you are sweating a lot, you can always go to your GP.
    becky4131 wrote:
    hey, wondered if you could help me.
    I think i sweat too much and its getting embarrassing cause even though i use roll on and antiperspirant i still get sweat patches under my arms even if im only wearing a tshirt.
    Is there anything i could use to stop this? i am really embarrassed about wearing jumpers and things and paranoid about the smell. :blush:

I suffer from the same thing - believe me the so-called anti-perspirants do not work!!

Axillary Hyperhydrosis - medical term affects I think 1% of the population. It is caused by over stimulation of the sweat glands by the nervous system. Treatments are few and far between I am afraid.

Botox injections into the armpits - expensive and need to be repeated every 3 -6 months. Quite painful apparently.

Topical treatments are available - These contain aluminium hydrochloride and are only available on prescription or over the counter from a pharmacy.

Oral medication - limited success and cause side effects because they are not primarily used for hyperhydrosis - e.g. beta-blockers are sometimes used.

And surgery!! - destroying the nerves within the armpit that control the sweat glands - problems associated with this obviously.

I would have a chat with your GP, but in the meantime I would wear cotton [not polyester] and try to avoid coloured clothing - wear white or black [limiting I know - but the sweat stains are less visible].

Believe me I know how you feel!

Paul x
    i have discovered that the only anti-persperant that works for me is sure.

could try that..

and make sure you wash every day and you vcould always try wearing sleeveless tops or at least not ones that are tight around the armpits. Also only wear cotton
    One of my friends had this problem and she found a good topical treatment which you can buy in Boots or other good chemists. It's topical treatment containing aluminium chloride like the ones that Panthro mentioned but you don't need a prescription. It's called Driclor. There are some others on the market too.

I have this problem to some extent so i've used it and it is good. you use it at night every day for about 2 weeks and wash it off in the morning and it starts to reduce the ammount you sweat. It's not too expensive and worth a try :)
    Thanks, im gonna go 2 boots and see what they have got and if that doesnt work then i will see my gp cause cant cope with it any longer.
    Yep same problem here, its so embaqrassing! Norm,al antipersparants just dont work, you need something specifically for the problem, it will cost more but you'll use it less! I use a roll on called Driclor (available at boots). You roll it on at night, if you use it regularily you will find once every 2 days is acceptable.
    xXxHelzxXx wrote:
    One of my friends had this problem and she found a good topical treatment which you can buy in Boots or other good chemists. It's topical treatment containing aluminium chloride like the ones that Panthro mentioned but you don't need a prescription. It's called Driclor. There are some others on the market too.

THATS IT!! :thumb: Driclor!!

Knew it was some weird name..... :)
    i use this thing called linden voss, triple dry cos it isnt perfumed. it doesnt make me sweat either, so you should try that! seriously lol its 7.99 from boots! totally worth the money.
    I have the same problem, school's the worse! Yet again, normal anti-perspirants don't work so I'm gonna try Driclor, I read it in Bliss and told my mum to get it but she never did so I guess I'll have to do it myself!
    Mate I had this problem for a few years and it really did fuck with me. Other people who do not understand the problem do not help because they will always tell you that it is normal, or becuase you are anxious or something like that. Forget going to see a doctor, I did and they will simply say that it is normal and that some people simply sweat more than others and that basicly unless you are willing to risk surgery there is nothing you can do (and surgery can often create more problems). Looking back I am really angry because the solution is cheap, easy and extremely effective, its a product called ODABAN. I started using this stuff a few months ago and after just one application I simply no longer had a problem. Its a spray that you only have to apply once or twice a week (though some may have to do it more often) and it really does work. It is only about £2.75 a bottle and that should last around 6 months, it has no odour and can be used in conjunction with deodrants you like the smell of if you like. Do not mess about go to www.odaban.com immeaditaly and bag yourself some, i realise it must be hard to believe it could be so effective but it is otherwise I wouldnt get your hopes up! This product has changed my life and I wish everyone who suffered from this condition knew about it.

In fact even if you do not sweat excessively youll save a few bob on deodrants and antipersprants with this.

In short..

Go to www.odaban.com and buy some, you wont regret it!
    Thankyou!!! iv been on to the website and ordered a bottle, it actually costs £5.95 but tht is really cheap bcause it should last a while. Really hope that this works, think it could become my bestfriend lol
    becky4131 wrote:
    Thankyou!!! iv been on to the website and ordered a bottle, it actually costs £5.95 but tht is really cheap bcause it should last a while. Really hope that this works, think it could become my bestfriend lol

Let me know how it works. You can be my guinea pig. :p
    Panthro wrote:
    Let me know how it works. You can be my guinea pig. :p

lol ok no problem, just hope it doesnt do anything it shouldnt lol :D
    i have just ordered some aswell, really hope it works will be so happy!! cheers
    I got my mum to get me some from the town today lol so it should work, she best have got me some, i left her a note in her handbag this morning and then text her in science lol without out getting caught lol! So yeah, I'll let you know how it goes.

xxx
    I got my mum to get me some from the town today lol so it should work, she best have got me some, i left her a note in her handbag this morning and then text her in science lol without out getting caught lol! So yeah, I'll let you know how it goes.

xxx

Well let us all know how it goes - the name 'sweaty betty' shall never grace me again.
    Hi,

I am 27 and have had this problem since my early teens :eek:

My doctor prescribed Driclor - it worked but was awful to use. It really made my under arms itch so much that I couldn't get to sleep (as you have to use it before bed time). I have also tried Perspirex from Boots, which stained the under arms of my pyjamas!!

I am now currently using Triple Dry which works fine and does not give me any problems at all ;) Plus I only need to use it once a week now.... It was very handy when I was going to be a bridesmaid a few years ago. I was so nervous about getting sweat marks on my dress as the wedding was for mid-summer. Thankfully, it worked all day long!!

Gillyxx
    can u buy triple dry from the shops or can u only get it from the dr?
    TheOne wrote:
    can u buy triple dry from the shops or can u only get it from the dr?

They sell it in Boots - it's about £6.99/£7.99 ish... but lasts ages as you end up using it so in-frequently ;)
    Oh soz about the pricing error I got carried away with how much of a bargain it was I think. Either way its still good, I wouldnt get u excited unless I really did believe that this would help enormously. The thing that annoys me though is that if Id known about this stuff years ago I could have avoided the problem so easily and had much more self confidence! As you can imagine school is no fun with the pure discomfort it gives you when ur sweaty all the time. If u have any problems with it when it arrives (I think ur supposed to give it about a week to start workin tho I was fine straight away) please post back on this thread and Ill try to help u. I had a few probs with over application at first because I wanted to make sure Id put enough on (Im sure you can understand that!) which gave me some mild irritation but nothing serious, now that Im used to using it I use it better and have no probs at all.

I really hope it helps u guys out, if it does spread the word like ive tried to! I dont want anyone to suffer from this unecessarily!
    xXxHelzxXx wrote:

I have this problem to some extent so i've used it and it is good. you use it at night every day for about 2 weeks and wash it off in the morning and it starts to reduce the ammount you sweat. It's not too expensive and worth a try :)

I have heard from a GP that long-term use of driclor causes cancer? Maybe you should get a second opinion.
    Hi, I didn't get Odaban in the end but I did get Driclor. I have got sensitive skin as it is and so it did hurt a bit but I got over that and it worked all day yesterday so I'm just hoping it will work forever lol. It is strong stuff but it works so I would recommend it.

xxx
    erinleigh wrote:
    I have heard from a GP that long-term use of driclor causes cancer? Maybe you should get a second opinion.

Really????? im kind of worried now cause i have also begun to use it but then again they wouldnt be allowed to sell it if it was dangerous.
    there is some research to indicate that as anti-perspirants close up the pores and restrict the sweat glands that they can cause breast cancer
    tis the same with all of them, just more with ones like these as they are stronger
    FFS, everything causes cancer these days!

But the DRICLOR really works???

Boots do it??
    i cant believe no ones mentioned MITCHUM. you get it from boots and its for problem perspiration. it's excellant!

when i had the contraceptive injection i had terrible problems with sweating and this worked wonders.

i didn't sweat at all with this, as far as i know it's not dangerous or linked to cancer and its a good price. theres even one for sensitve skin.

i still use it.

Been there done that. Didn't work for me. Honestly you name a deod/antiperspirant, mens or womens and I have tried it.
    really? blimy. must be a right pain in the arse.

Yup, can feel myself sweating the now and I sitting in a cool-ish room. Nightmare!!!!

I am gonna try Driclor and if that doesnt work, off to the GP. Might even think about surgery bacause it is soooooooooooo bad....
    i bought driclor and have used it twice. omfg!!

i got up at 1am and washed it off. ITCH?????? and it stung like hell- that might have been coz i made it sore from itching it the night before.

thing is i think its worked already. i dont know.

how can i stop it itching?? just stop using it?
    i bought driclor and have used it twice. omfg!!

i got up at 1am and washed it off. ITCH?????? and it stung like hell- that might have been coz i made it sore from itching it the night before.

thing is i think its worked already. i dont know.

how can i stop it itching?? just stop using it?
    The same happened to me, it was really sore. I have sensitive skin anyway and it really stings so I'm gonna lay off it for a couple of nights and then do it again. It worked though, which is good. Just the itching and irritating that needs to be sorted now.

NeonPinkPostItNote.
    I've used that Driclor before but personally I wouldn't reccomend using it every night, I used to do this and it felt like it had burnt all my armpit, but I suppose it effects different people. I use it two nights a week and wash it off in the morning, and then the other days I just wash as normal, and then I have sweaty free days. :D :yippe: