Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Visiting uni's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
K well im taking a year out but i still have to have my made my preffered uni choice by april/may time but the thing is i havent visited any of the uni's that i've put down. I've done a bit of research of them all and they all sound pretty gud. But i suppose visiting the uni is the best way to know if i'll like it.

Is it too late u reckon and how's everyone elses Uni applications for next year goin?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But i suppose visiting the uni is the best way to know if i'll like it.
    :yes: you get a feel for a place, when you are there...
    see about open days... if they have already gone, you can still go and look around... check out the area, etc.
    yeah i would strongly suggest that you visit the places. not all of them though - just the ones with the courses you like best!
    i agree with otter when they say that you get a feel for the place. ive visited quite a few places.. and if i hadnt and chose to go to one of those places i would have been seriously upset! lol some places arent as good as they are made out to be. dont go by all the prospectus info etc because often what they show isnt completely *true* ,..if you get me!
    Try and visit the uni if you can. I went to Uni of Hertfordshire and the size of it scared me. At least I had my trusted companion:D
    i'd 100% recommend going to see the university/halls of residence. you're going to spend the next few years of your life there. you wouldn't buy a house without viewing it, would you? (ok, some might!). i went to view my original first choice uni, but i really didn't like it so changed my mind. had i not been to visit, i wouldn't have known this.
    I have this thing at Bath Uni tomorrow. It's a higher education conference. Basically representatives from loads of universities all over the country are coming and each have a table where you can get info and ask questions. You should find out if one of these is going on anywhere near you. It'll be good to have them all there in the same place.

After talking to some that I know do the course I would like to do, if I like the look of it in the prospectus etc then I will go there and have a look around. You need to, to be sure.
    Hemisphere wrote:
    I have this thing at Bath Uni tomorrow

Bath Uni is nice :thumb:

well, the campus doesnt look that nice compared to the town, with its 60's concrete buildings, but the accomodation is of a good standard, the courses are good, and the town is loverly :yes:

lots of bars and nice places to eat if you're into that :thumb:
    GoodFella wrote:
    K well im taking a year out but i still have to have my made my preffered uni choice by april/may time but the thing is i havent visited any of the uni's that i've put down. I've done a bit of research of them all and they all sound pretty gud. But i suppose visiting the uni is the best way to know if i'll like it.

Is it too late u reckon and how's everyone elses Uni applications for next year goin?

In my case its more a matter of where the hell does the course, than having the luxury of choosing! Fortunatly i have a provisional acceptance on my first choice for my post grad. As long as i get a 2.2 or above i'm in :)
    Definitely visit. I went with the one that gave me the best vibe, and I found a second home there, and a bunch of new friends who I'm still close with now I've moved on. Nothing's more important than the way you feel there - anything negative and the three or more years study won't be so enjoyable.
    Definately visit the unis. My first time to uni I visted all 6 of my choices and was really unhappy with the first 5. Couldn't see myself there at all and really didn't like the atmospheres etc. Then I went to Newcastle, drove into the city and fell in love with the place immediately. I still to this day wish I could go back and live up there etc.
    Cheers guys and gals, i'll look into open days then :) .
    Yeh deffoly go. And make sure you check out the course breakdown. I went to Brighton Uni loved the actual uni but the course just isn't right.