Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

nottingham uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So, it looks like im going there in september to study law. Had a look round, seems really nice, but was wondering about accomodation. University Park looks the best bet thus far, as regards being around the most people and not having to cook yet! Basically I'd just like to know what peoples experiences there were/are like, what room type they chose, what campus, halls/self catered and how it was, as well as any wisdom they've acquired which would be helpful. Any help would be mucho apreciado :)

PS are there good indie clubs and live music pubs about as well? I know Notts has Rock City but was wondering about smaller style venues and stuff.

Ta!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Good on ya, a good choice of uni!

Staying on campus was the option I chose, and I reckon it's the best choice - during the first semester, it has the most organisation, so you're always informed about events and meeting new people. People in self catering (or worse, off campus) seemed to miss out on quite a lot. Also, with self catering you get lumped with a group of people you've never met before, and the number of stories I've heard of people getting really annoyed by their flatmates is obscene. With halls, depending on the accomodation you choose, you've either got ensuite (very nice), shared bathroom (for some people, they end up living next to people they don't like, but I know more than a few people who made great friends with their neighbour), or group bathroom, which gives you a private room and communal (between 15-20) bathroom, as well as a sink in your room.

I had a shared bathroom, and it turned out great personally. You don't really get a choice of halls, so it's a bit of a lottery, but I was in Willoughby, generally considered the worst hall, and even that wasn't too bad, especially now they've redone the bathrooms.

More wisdom to follow, currently busy drinking.
  • Options
    I live in Nottingham but im not really into the indie scene so cnt help u there. Rock City as u say will be best for u i think. Go out on thursdays too, student night. :).
  • Options
    Cookie club sounds like it's more what you want, mroe indie based music and a lot smaller venue. Also, funktion 7 (sp?) is a decent pub for live rock music and other stuff.
    definately got for halls on University Park campus.
  • Options
    Have to say Turtle, yeah some people hate their hall-mates, but it's the exception rather than the rule and has a great dependance on your attitude to them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Have to say Turtle, yeah some people hate their hall-mates, but it's the exception rather than the rule and has a great dependance on your attitude to them.

:yes:

I don't get on with my corridor. Bastards.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, forgot about the indie scene.

You got Rock City, Cookie Club, Obsessions, J7 and some of the other clubs play random indie/alt nights, just gotta keep your eyes peeled for flyers. Plenty to keep you occupied.

Although you gotta be careful - I went to Obsessions the other night and it was the goth/metal crowd. Reminded me of being 15 again. :p Cookie Club's also introduced a cheese night on Mondays, which is to be avoided.
  • Options
    Cookie club sounds like it's more what you want, mroe indie based music and a lot smaller venue. Also, funktion 7 (sp?) is a decent pub for live rock music and other stuff.
    definately got for halls on University Park campus.

*Junktion 7, also known as J7.
  • Options
    Thank you kindly guys. Have sent my accomodation form so its just a matter of waiting now!
  • Options
    also..

Rescue Rooms & Stealth Club !
  • Options
    Yeah I'd say University Park is the best option for the first year. I'm in Rutland hall which I think is pretty good and theres loads to get you involved (plus I got an ensuite room!). The catering aspect of it annoys me a bit cos the food is so repetitive, and generally not great, so you end up getting pizza delivery all the time, but you'll get used to it..
    As for rock/indie clubs, I'm into that kinda thing but my friends at uni aren't so I never get to go! But, I'd suggest Cookie Club and Obsessions. There's also a few pubs around like that and if you join one of the related societies at freshers fayre, then ones like punksoc do pub and club crawls in town. Stealth clus is good, although I generally only go there when theres a DJ in nottingham who I want to see, or on the occasional drum&bass night. It's not the best layout though and drinks are pretty expensive, plus you have to drink lager out of cans :confused:
  • Options
    el_dude wrote:
    So, it looks like im going there in september to study law. Had a look round, seems really nice, but was wondering about accomodation. University Park looks the best bet thus far, as regards being around the most people and not having to cook yet! Basically I'd just like to know what peoples experiences there were/are like, what room type they chose, what campus, halls/self catered and how it was, as well as any wisdom they've acquired which would be helpful. Any help would be mucho apreciado :)

PS are there good indie clubs and live music pubs about as well? I know Notts has Rock City but was wondering about smaller style venues and stuff.

Ta!
    I'm into indie and go to the Rescue Rooms, Junktion 7, Stealth is meant to be good and the Cookie Club is worth a visit, have fun!