Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I would like to study in Britain.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, so you have seen the title. I intend to pay a visit to British Council here in Belgrade in the next few days, but I'd like some info in the meantime.
I'd like to study electrotechnics (electronics), so as far as I understood, I need to find a university which has such a course and apply to it. What I'd like to know is:

-What is the general attitutude towards foreign students?
-What would be the total cost of this? (I am talkin about 3 years here)
-What is an average wage there (If I get lucky enough to get a job)
-What uni would you recommend to me?
-What documentation do I need in order to apply?

If my questions are dumb or somehow wrong, please correct me, as I know little about this matter. And if you think of something else that might be helpful for me, please do post it.

Thank you in advance,
Nebojsa Mrmak
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Except from your school qualifications, the only thing you need is to take a IELTS (English efficiency) test, which are provided by British Council.
    There are really a lot of universities in England, and as a foreigner it is really hard to choose, when you haven't visited. You have to browse through university websites and order a prsopectus, it'll give you a bit of a feel, and basically those and recommendation from people online was what I based my choices on.
    You also have to consider that different universities have different aims. Meaning that if you get top grades, you'd usually consider other universities than if you're grades are good.

I am not sure about costs, due to the new fee system from next year. And maybe you'll even have to pay a full fee due to Serbia not being part of the EU. Not sure, as Swiss and Norwegian students pay the same as EU students. You'll have to ask at the British Council.

Hope it is any help. Those are the things I have gathered from my own application.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    There are really a lot of universities in England

uuuuuuuhhhhhmmmm *clears throat!!!!*

Em, there are other countries other than yours in the UNITED Kingdom!!
    Try Scotland, renowned for its friendly attitudes and education system worldwide!!!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:

Try Scotland, renowned for its friendly attitudes and education system worldwide!!!
    I see what you are trying to say. It's true, I'm looking for a uni anywhere in the UK. But, Dear Wendy, thank you for your info, I imagine that the school system is almost the same throughout (sp?) the UK. Right?
  • Options
    Some differences, for example in England an Honours degree only takes three years whereas in this dear place it takes four :)

And students in England and Wales have to pay tuition fees [and top up fees soon] wheras in Scotland - Scottish domiciled students get theirs paid for them by the Scottish Executive :P

Yas!!!!! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Thanks for the link, I appreciate it very much. :thumb:
  • Options
    one of my bestest friends is from brunei

she is cool

to be honest if someone ever has a problem with you *JUST* because you are a foreign student, then its likely they have the problem themselves and are total cnuts
  • Options
    or even try looking here for a basic overview of some of the costs

http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/studying/internationalstudents/guideforinternationalstudents
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:

Get real, will you?
    I am not from England, which you would know if you had bothered checking before making your assumption. And I can honestly say that it was an honest mistake.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Panthro wrote:

You can tell you are from Scotland. It is true that Scotland has some good unis but there are extremely good unis in England too. And friendly unis too.

Also, as an overseas student, there differences between Scottish and English systems will be quite minute. So, as Jacq said, slip of the tongue.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Lighten up!! A bit of satire....... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:

Satire?
    Do you even know what that means?
    Care to explain me how it is satire?

For all I know you introduced this tone into the thread :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Panthro wrote:

That was certainly not satire :|
  • Options
    is that the dinner bell ringing in the playground?
  • Options
    That was certainly not satire :|

Definition: "witty language used to convey insults or scorn"

It is quite difficult to get the meaning of people's responses if you cannot hear their voice attricutes and their body language!!

However, I apologise if anyone took this in the wrong way :crying: :crying:
  • Options
    UCAS is the admissions service here and they should have some good info on unis throughout the UK.
  • Options
    i live with foreign students....they have loads of friends and you will nearly always find someone from home at your uni courtesey of the erasmus program.they are cool.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your answers! There have been several very useful links here, thank you people!