Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I have absolutely NO self confidence :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im new to this site and seeing as plenty of other people are being so open about their problems etc, i thought i would share mine too :blush:

Im heading off to Uni in september and i am absolutely scared petrified!! not because of leaving family, being so far from home and friends..
but because i have such a low self image and im waaay too shy! with everyone!

I am extremely shy (mostly around boys but with girls too) and most of the time when im around people I just sit and listen to them and not talk myself.. which results in me making no friends :( and people generally dont bother with me..
also when i talk to people i always find myself thinking that theyre looking at me and thinking im a complete and utter minger! I just feel like they dont/wont like me because of it... and this makes me get all embarassed and i talk even less...
im not exactly the 'prettiest' of people which makes me feel even worse... expecially when i pass by people and they say nasty comments about how i look which happens on a *fairly* regular basis..

its just getting me down because i dont know how to conquer this feeling i have. i really wish i was more outgoing but i dont know how to be without feeling awkward!
i know what im saying here sounds reeally stupid but.. i just thought id write how i feel :mad: in fact, this is the first time ive actually told anyone about how self concious i really am which is good i guess..
but i dont know what to do :P *sigh* oh well
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    This isn't an easy one. Although our situations are different, my self-confidence is at rock bottom too. I can understand entirely about the situations you describe. Making friends is never easy. At times, I feel it's an impossible process and that I'm wasting my time. There are moments when I force myself to do things, but those are few and far between. :(

In terms of links, try reading the making new friends on the site. Also, as you're starting at uni, it might be worth reading the answer to this question.
  • Options
    Well, you sound like a really true and honest person! It's not easy opening up and that already shows your confidence is improving! To be honest, i've never really had a confidence problem as such but everyone gets nervous when they're meeting new people.

My advice is you have the perfect opportunity, when you go off to uni, to reinvent yourself and be more confident! Just remember to always be yourself and people will love you!

Good luck and let me know how you get on!!
  • Options
    I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the way you look, I bet you're just imagining people saying nasty things.

I'm naturally quite shy, especially in large groups, but I find that the only way to remedy it is to just say "fuck it" and strike up a conversation with people or make a random stupid joke in a large group. You'll find that literally forcing yourself to do this will help you overcome your shyness. In bigger groups you can always just contribute to the conversation without necessarily being the focus of everyone's attention, you can let the more outspoken do most of the talking but you can say things every now and again too!

The worst thing to do is just wait around until someone wants to make friends with you, becuase in general thatll end in misery! You have to really force yourself to make an effort and just crush that shyness that is holding you back, once you've done it you'll find it easier and easier and the awkwardness will just fade away!

:)
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    im not exactly the 'prettiest' of people which makes me feel even worse... expecially when i pass by people and they say nasty comments about how i look which happens on a *fairly* regular basis..
    In relation to this point, a lot of people on this site post pictures of themselves up from time to time. Some also have links in their signatures with links to pictures. Maybe you could put a picture up and show us what you look like, if you want to. No one will make nasty comments about looks here - they usually get flamed if they do!
  • Options
    oh no i dont think i could put my picture up on here.. i know the likelyhood of people actually saying to my face that im *horrible* is very remote but i really dont think i could face it if someone actually did!
    plus i dont photograph very well :P
    PERSONALLY i dont think i look THAT bad, but its just when people say nasty/crude things when i walk past or something, my self confidence just gets lower and lower and lower! noone has actually said anything straight to my face though which is something.. but that doesnt stop how i feel about myself
  • Options
    When I was younger I was painfully shy, I would take a beamer at anything. I had few friends and preferred my own company. Then when I turned 16 and started doing my own thing, I became that bit more confident. I got a job and started to make friends there. Confidence isn't something that will happen overnight, and has taken me a few good years to get to this stage and I still have a way to go. I am now a student nurse and I can talk to people from all ages and backgrounds.

Since you are starting uni I am assuming that you will be moving into halls? If you are, remember every single one of the people there are in exactly the same boat as you. Be forward with people - as much as it hurts. Say hello and shake their hand, ask them where they are from, what they are doing at uni blah blah blah. The usual introductory stuff. When I started uni, I was dreading it. Absolutely terrified. But here I am in 2nd year with quite a few close friends.

I wish I had the opportunity to live in halls as I feel I would have met more diverse people, it is an opportunity you cannot miss. And when you are there, join as many clubs and societies as poss and have fun.........

I am testimount to the fact that shyness can be overcome.......
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    oh no i dont think i could put my picture up on here.. i know the likelyhood of people actually saying to my face that im *horrible* is very remote but i really dont think i could face it if someone actually did! plus i dont photograph very well :P
    I don't photograph very well, but it's never stopped me. Few people, if any are genuinely ugly.
  • Options
    00.jpg

This is me, after a hard slog in Superdrug shouting at the staff!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    I apologise for the spottiness - hard week!! [Least you can't see my bedroom :nervous: :nervous: ]

At least my hair stayed in place 13 hours after doing it!!
  • Options
    you have to take the bull by the horns...its hard, but worth it!
    having questions prepared in your head to ask people help and show interest in people - people warm to people interested in them.

or you could do what my sister did - get to halls an hour after everyone else, walk in with a massive tin of chocs and a bottle of wine and yell " my mummy bought these so you would all like me -who wants to be my friend? "
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    Im heading off to Uni in september and i am absolutely scared petrified!! not because of leaving family, being so far from home and friends..

Where are you going to uni? Maybe i or someone else on this site has a friend who could meet up with you and help get you settled in?

I know it's a long way off but it would help if you had someone to talk to now, it might help with the build up to the move away from home!
  • Options
    Where are you going to uni? Maybe i or someone else on this site has a friend who could meet up with you and help get you settled in?

im actually going to glamorgan uni near cardiff :) ive only ever been to wales once for a quick interview at the university so i dont reeally know what im getting myself into!

and i must say, listening to everyones advice and opinions is working quite well :) thanks a lot :hyper:
    hopefully if i keep visiting this site and boards ill build up a bit more knowledge about meeting people and being a lot less shyer than i am now!... hopefully..
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    Im new to this site and seeing as plenty of other people are being so open about their problems etc, i thought i would share mine too :blush:

I am extremely shy (mostly around boys but with girls too) and most of the time when im around people I just sit and listen to them and not talk myself.. which results in me making no friends :( and people generally dont bother with me..
    also when i talk to people i always find myself thinking that theyre looking at me and thinking im a complete and utter minger! I just feel like they dont/wont like me because of it... and this makes me get all embarassed and i talk even less...

its just getting me down because i dont know how to conquer this feeling i have. i really wish i was more outgoing but i dont know how to be without feeling awkward!
    i know what im saying here sounds reeally stupid but.. i just thought id write how i feel :mad: in fact, this is the first time ive actually told anyone about how self concious i really am which is good i guess..
    but i dont know what to do :P *sigh* oh well
    not completely lacking ...or you wouldn't have even gotten this post together.
    above all be honest kind and generous ...without being a doormat.
    above all be honest about your lacks ...that way you will find the right soul mates ...
    think of a genteel doctor going into jail for one disastorous mad moment in his life where he fell asleep at the wheel ...ploughed onto a railway line killing tens of people ...all his fault.
    how is such a nice guy ...who realy realy now has no confidence of even being alive in a weeks time cope?
    he doesn't pretend to be razor rick from the east end ...he knows he can't pretend ...how does he cope?
    he is honest and giving ...he meets many like minded people ...
    ok so i'm rambling a bit here ...be honest above all else and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    not completely lacking ...or you wouldn't have even gotten this post together.
    above all be honest kind and generous ...without being a doormat.
    above all be honest about your lacks ...that way you will find the right soul mates ...
    think of a genteel doctor going into jail for one disastorous mad moment in his life where he fell asleep at the wheel ...ploughed onto a railway line killing tens of people ...all his fault.
    how is such a nice guy ...who realy realy now has no confidence of even being alive in a weeks time cope?
    he doesn't pretend to be razor rick from the east end ...he knows he can't pretend ...how does he cope?
    he is honest and giving ...he meets many like minded people ...
    ok so i'm rambling a bit here ...be honest above all else and you'll be fine.
    An easy smile goes a long long way to making new friends and getting to know people. It takes effort but be yourself ^ and you will be fine.

ps 50% of your fellow students will be feeling exactly the same right about now.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    ps 50% of your fellow students will be feeling exactly the same right about now.
    Yes. I would add, however, that many of these are able to hide their anxieties a lot better. Nothing wrong with that, but it simply gives the illusion that you're all alone. You're not, believe us!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    An easy smile goes a long long way to making new friends and getting to know people. It takes effort but be yourself ^ and you will be fine.

exactly.
    to many people see shyness as a problem they have, without ever considering wether or not it is actualy an asset.
    the world would be boring with nothing but confident people.
    you will find your place in the working of things.
  • Options
    the world would be boring with nothing but confident people.
    Not to mention all those egos to compete with!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not to mention all those egos to compete with!
    for sure!
    as you get older you come to realise that you don't have to be big ...or clever ...or popular ...or good looking and a host of other shit ...to be happy.
    happy inside in a deep and warm and meaningful way.
    the egos ...that get let down almost by the hour ...may apear to be happy ...usualy they are only good at having pleasure.
    happiness belongs to the meek ...