Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

disciplinary action

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi

i got a disciplinary action telling me that my pay is deducted for one day+ it also says following a oral warning you are now geting this letter.

the worst thing is i signed the letter and need to know if i can do something about it because i think they are wrong.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd get advice from Citzens Advice Bureau if I was you. Certainly your employer cannot deduct wages without your consent and you should have a hearing before any written warning is given.

What grounds does your employer have?
    try your union (if you are part of one?!) and ask them for advice.

loosing 1 days pay isn't that bad though - what was the disciplinary for?! (-if you wanna say?)
    otter wrote:
    loosing 1 days pay isn't that bad though

If you worked that day, then technically it's breach of contract.
    well they sent me on a one day course and i arrived 2 hours late so they sent me back. the thing that pees me off is that they have given me 2 in one go

its the first time i was late and they have given me two disciplinary actions all because they told me they can bypass the oral warning now i only got one more chance
    the mistake i made is i signed the letter so they deducted it. i don't want the money back its just i didn't understand i would get dis action letter if i was late
    i was not aware they gave me an oral warning
    This will depend highly on the terms set out in your contract and, to some extent, what sort of company you are working in.

Definitely in most larger companies there would be a formal appeals process that you could go through if you think the action is unfair.

I find it highly dubious that taking away pay can occur as the result of a disciplinary action in any case, the normal course of action is that they suspend or fire you at the end of a disciplinary process, but then they would definitely have to conduct an interview and listen to your side.

Take it up with HR or your manager.
    Oh, yeah, and also if you are in a union, you can get the union man to come in and argue your side, or at least help you out during any hearing.

AND if you're not in the union then (if one exists that you could join) you could join it now and get them to help you, as membership is often immediate.
    They cannot discipline you without a hearing. That's just basics.

You have the right to a weeks notice of any hearing, and you have the right to be represented.

IMHO They are taking the piss because they think they can get away with it...
    I seem to remember from somewhere (like A-level business studies HR) that when you get an oral warning, they tell you in a letter as well to make it official. Don't quote me on that.
    I seem to remember from somewhere (like A-level business studies HR) that when you get an oral warning, they tell you in a letter as well to make it official.
    *couldn't resist* :p