Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

my dog..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my dog fuckin hates me! i bought him from the r.s.p.c.a for my girlfriend,and she worships the ground he walks on.
i, on the other hand am finding him difficult to cope with.
he,s a big black lairy labradore,and hes allways destroying things in the house.i had to make a steel letter box to stop him chewing the fucking letters up,and the other week he got so excited he put his head through the dining room window! i,ve had to board it up.
i,m allways shouting at him because he allways seems to be in the way,and he looks at me like he hates me... :confused:
anyone else had same problems?....what did you do to solve them?...i,ve ruled out shooting him :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you shout at him he will be scared of you btw and therefore hate you
    Give him loads of attention. He chews things because he is bored. Take him for long walks, tire him out and he will be a good doggy.....AND DONT FRIGGING SHOUT AT HIM ALL THE TIME cos he wont like ya :mad:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Buy him a chewy toy! Lots of them!

And don't leave stuff on the floor.

Just be nice to him, give him love and attention. Shouting at him will make him hate you.

Be nice to him, he'll learn to be nice in return. Please?
    ITA with what everyone else has said about being nice, dogs respond to affection well and are affectionate in turn...for the most part. Obviously some are just one of hell's hounds, but since you say the dog and your girlfriend get on, I guess that isn't the case.

Tiring him out is absolutely the way to go. A hyperactive, holed-up dog is never going to be a pleasant pet. Also when my family's dog was a puppy she used to chew the wooden legs of the sofas, slippers, rugs...everything she could get her teeth on. We found this spray called something [imaginative] like "Don't Chew!" which, to me, smelled like mint but it certainly stopped her chewing stuff.

You don't mention how old the dog is, because if it's a puppy then a lot of these things are normal. Puppies and young dogs grow out of being mischevious, hyperactive nutters...but if he's like this and a bit older then I'd definitely recommend more exercise and attention.
    Deano,

As a fellow big-time PRODIGY fan, go easy on the dog! My family has had dogs all their life. They have the brain of a 2 year old baby. When u get them as a pup they are hyper and go thru the teething stage where they'll try and chew anythin!!! - they can't help it. Wot we did/still do is try with toys - we had gr8 success with tennis balls as they luv chewin them and the dog will LOVE YOU for playin with him, big time!!!! (and it's gr8 fun 4 u 2!!!) - I promise. Cover talble/chair legs etc with towels/cardboard. Anythin else? Remember, when u shout he is more frightend of u - thats y he appears aggresiv cos he's really frightend himself. Oh, and don't stare him in the eye for a long time cos he thinks ur goin to attak him.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/basictraining/qt/teething_puppy.htm

Blessings,
    Jah.
    Jah wrote:
    Deano,

As a fellow big-time PRODIGY fan, go easy on the dog! My family has had dogs all their life. They have the brain of a 2 year old baby. When u get them as a pup they are hyper and go thru the teething stage where they'll try and chew anythin!!! - they can't help it. Wot we did/still do is try with toys - we had gr8 success with tennis balls as they luv chewin them and the dog will LOVE YOU for playin with him, big time!!!! (and it's gr8 fun 4 u 2!!!) - I promise. Cover talble/chair legs etc with towels/cardboard. Anythin else? Remember, when u shout he is more frightend of u - thats y he appears aggresiv cos he's really frightend himself. Oh, and don't stare him in the eye for a long time cos he thinks ur goin to attak him.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/basictraining/qt/teething_puppy.htm

Blessings,
    Jah.
    charly says:" allways tell your mummy" when daddy is pissed off withyou! :):):)
    my dog is 2 years old.bloody canine delinquant! i love him really!
    my cat has given me scars, stolen my scart lead, disterbed many nights sleep, broken countless items, torn up clothes, stolen food off my plate, and is jelous of me giving anyone else attention.

now thats hard to deal with.
    Uhm... well for starters confiscate as much of what you can that he chews and buy him chew toys as well as playing with him. Only ever shout at him for chewing your stuff when he's chewing it, not after. That way he learns he's doing wrong. If he chews his toys, praise him with a fuss and love, plus maybe hide and seek games with his toys may help.

You never have to shout at a dog, just be firm with them. Don't work with punishments, but rewards.
    Moonrat,

Super-top ranking comments - viewer, take note! - telling-off ONLY when the crime is taking place!!!

Trust is everything - when a dog lies/falls a sleep next to you - that's when it feels safe with you (ie; sleeps without fear.)

Well done, Moonrat.
    Obedience classes would help you both learn, because you must handle a pet in a certain way for it to be good natured. Make sure you give it a strict regime, when it begs it shouldn't get otherwise it will become unruly and be like the 'master'. Shouting can be assosciated with barking, and either will intimidate a dog or get it worked up. Saying 'no' simply but firmly and clearly is almost always effective as negative encouragement. If my dog starts walking up the stairs I just say no and she stops in her tracks - and she's only 2 who we got from the RSPCA.

Chewing things could be a sign of anxiety, I really thing dog training or dog obedience classes would really help. Only an hour a week, and you might only go once every 2 weeks or something, and not even for that long - but the opportunity to meet someone who is very used to dogs will be invaluable because they'll be able to give you loads of tips.

This site may help you: http://www.moordair.com/jnckc/hyperactive_pet.html
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    my dog fuckin hates me! i bought him from the r.s.p.c.a for my girlfriend,and she worships the ground he walks on.
    i, on the other hand am finding him difficult to cope with.
    he,s a big black lairy labradore,and hes allways destroying things in the house.i had to make a steel letter box to stop him chewing the fucking letters up,and the other week he got so excited he put his head through the dining room window! i,ve had to board it up.
    i,m allways shouting at him because he allways seems to be in the way,and he looks at me like he hates me... :confused:
    anyone else had same problems?....what did you do to solve them?...i,ve ruled out shooting him :)

he does not chew any thing in the house any more! he hasnt done that for a long time!! you just dont know how to handle him! you dont feed him, play with him or walk him! so he will hate you! :) he is a good dog for me! so it must be you!! :)