Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much can you go without:

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The longest I have stayed up is about 36 hours. I did an all nighter once for an essay (I left it late) and instead of going to bed after I handed it in in the morning I decided to stay up til after dinner time so that I could sleep during the night rather than completely muck up my sleep pattern.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I'd prepared for it and had lots of sleep beforehand, probably about 24 hours. But normally if I just decided not to go to sleep probably only about 18...

There's statistical evidence to support the theory that people who don't get enough sleep frequently (regularly sleep for less than 7 hours etc) die younger. Same if you get too much sleep (mroe than 11 ish) though, not as extreme however. I go to bed around 10.30 get to sleep at 11 wake up at 8, good 9 hours sleep for me :D still not enoguh though :(
  • Options
    Probably 36 hours, I did the whole staying up to do an essay thing once, but when I did night shifts the most I could manage was 24. I used to see my housemates on my way in and couldn't actually speak to them. :(
  • Options
    probably about 12 hours.
  • Options
    Proabably about 50 hours or so, something like that.

The worst is when you get very little for a week or so, I've done about 5 days on 6 hours kip before, that was far worse.
  • Options
    I asked because I'm planning on doing a little experiment... I'll try to stay awake for a week, no drugs or anything.
  • Options
    You'll last a few days if you really try, anything more than about 5 days and you will hallucinate.
  • Options
    I think it was three days. T In The Park a few years back. Took me so long to recover, I really really need my sleep so I was proper fucked for about a week after! :(
  • Options
    Iv never gone more than one night the longest would have been with chemical help, Iv done only a couple of hours a night for extended periods,

How can you freaks go 3 days with out weird.

I heard that sleep experimentors tested people a lot of whome claimed they didnt sleep at night but it was proved they had 4 hours, I think a lot of these 3 days awake people would have caught a few hours, or lots of chemical help.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You'll last a few days if you really try, anything more than about 5 days and you will hallucinate.
    Even better. Tripping without drugs. I am against the use of drugs anyway :D :thumb:
  • Options
    BTW, i usually sleep about 4-6 hours a night. So it isn't much of a problem.
  • Options
    The longest i've stayed awake for would be just over 48 hours when we had to travel to manchester via about 3 different train stations in the middle of the night and back again and go to a concert in the middle of it. I was so tired we just kept eating lucazade tablets though, not sure if they do actually work mind, but still.
  • Options
    6 days max for me - although having said that, i think i probably did sleep for a few minutes, i dunno, 10 mins may be?! each night. it was on a stupid survival training thing in which nobody really had a clue. it REALLY messes you up, but you get SO tired, you eventually collapse, and sleep. your body does NEED it. :)
  • Options
    Barely 2 mins at the moment! Am constantly tired!
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    Even better. Tripping without drugs. I am against the use of drugs anyway :D :thumb:

You're against it, how?

Anyway, they arent the kind of hallucinations you want, its the delirium type, scary things.
  • Options
    I can never last more than 24 hours without sleep. :(
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You're against it, how?

Anyway, they arent the kind of hallucinations you want, its the delirium type, scary things.
    Well, I think that drugs are really bad. I don't mind people who use them, except if they are agressive. I'd never use a drug (apart from alcohol).
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    Well, I think that drugs are really bad. I don't mind people who use them, except if they are agressive. I'd never use a drug (apart from alcohol).

Thats excellent.

We could debate the double standards there, but I doubt we would get very far.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, and I agree with you. I do have double standards, but then again, I am a victim of miseducation (and I realise it). But I won't do it, still. Mainly because in my country it's socially acceptable to drink, but not to do things. So it's not a big deal if your parents find out that you drink occasionally. I don't want to disappoint them. And the other reason is that I think that drugs aren't worth the trouble if things get out of control. Just my opinion, I hope you understand.
  • Options
    Not a problem at all, I understand, I wouldnt possibly be arrogant enough to dictate someone elses activities, especially when they come from a different culture to me.
  • Options
    It's not much of a different culture here. I just don't have enough knowledge of your culture, so I called it "my". I think it's not so different from yours.
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    It's not much of a different culture here. I just don't have enough knowledge of your culture, so I called it "my". I think it's not so different from yours.

I'd suggest that the publics reaction to drug use might be different though. I wasnt really trying to say that you're so different from me that I could never understand you.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    nmrmak wrote:

That made me grin. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think Ive gone about a day and a half without proper sleep and when I did go to sleep, I felt as though I'd been drugged when I woke up and I couldnt function at all. I like my sleep so I guess the longest I can go without it is about 15 hours! Not much I know. I have very low energy levels anyway :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Hm, and it was all couples, huh? Maybe so that they'd have an extra way to stay awake if they needed... :chin: In public too!
  • Options
    About 24 hours. A lack of sleep gives me headaches.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Scarlet wrote:
    About 24 hours. A lack of sleep gives me headaches.
    It somehow makes me kind of drunk, and more confident for some reason...
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    It somehow makes me kind of drunk, and more confident for some reason...

That will be he adrenaline, as your body gets more and more tired you fall back on emergency resources.
  • Options
    Not long, I don't think.

I need my sleep!

Probably just 24 hours when I've worked a night shift and not caught up on the sleep.