Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need input (and hugs :( )

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I passed all but one of my Prelims (Maths) but all i got was C's. I was 1 mark off a B in Computing but that's the highest i got. I'm so worried now because I need way better than that if i want to get to Uni. I need to stay on til 6th year too because I need a C in Maths, but that's for 5th year entry i think so I'll need a higher grade than that for 6th year entry. It's all so hard and I'm beginning to think it isn't achieveable. Worse yet, I'm beginning to think it isn't worth it :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Apparently in the Scottish Highers the normal average is to improve by about 10% between the prelims and the actual exams. So you go up.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I passed all but one of my Prelims (Maths) but all i got was C's. I was 1 mark off a B in Computing but that's the highest i got. I'm so worried now because I need way better than that if i want to get to Uni. I need to stay on til 6th year too because I need a C in Maths, but that's for 5th year entry i think so I'll need a higher grade than that for 6th year entry. It's all so hard and I'm beginning to think it isn't achieveable. Worse yet, I'm beginning to think it isn't worth it :(
    It is worth it Jamie and you still have time to turn it around, exams are at the start of May arent they?

From now til then just get stuck in studying, like I said before, I bombed my prelims and then ended up with better grades in the real thing. If I can do it, anyone can :)
  • Options
    :) Thanks Mist and thanks Shaz :) I think I was just getting a bit panicky. I'll have to pull the finger out and study and work hard ( tough when there are morons in the class) but I shall keep trying.

Only thing I'm not too pleased about is that Higher English is the first exam and it's being held on Friday, 13th May o_0 :nervous:
  • Options
    I sat an exam on Friday the 13th too, I think it was biology and I remember finishing the paper with about an hour to go and wondering why everyone was still scribbling away, half an hour later I noticed there were more questions on the back :crazyeyes

A daily donkey on George Bowie last week actually made me think of you Jamie, a boy was told to take a compass to his maths exam and he took a compass as in a directional compass :lol:

Not that I thought you'd do that, it just made me think of you for some reason.
  • Options
    *hugs*

i'm sure you'll do fine. :)

sorry, i'm a drop out so the only advice i have is hang on in there.
  • Options
    I'll try ;)

And Shaz, I might as well have taken a compass. I was hopeless!
  • Options
    it's all about practice with exams like maths. Do practice questions, and keep doing them, do them over and over and over, never ever skip working, it's worth marks. And remember sciences mark error carried over, so don't miss a question because it's using answers from the question before that you've done wrong.

Practice, study, RELAX. You will do just fine, and trust me university is well worth the effort.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Seriously, I wouldn't worry. For my prelims in Higher I failed most of them but still came out with good marks for my "real" exams. So yes, don't worry about it. My teacher once said that they improvement average between prelim and exam was at least 10% so if you aim for that (minimum) then you will be fine.

Also remember that half the course hasn't been covered yet. There is lots of time between now and May/June. So yes, don't worry.
  • Options
    firstly: *hugs*

and secondly:-

try thinking of prelims as a guidance or as a form of feedback...
    they are not the real deal...
    and you have plenty of time between now and your exams to work that little bit harder and improve on your grades... and you will, if you want to ;)
  • Options
    Thanks guys :)

I was just getting a bit over emotional over the whole thing. I am determined to work hard and practice.

And Laura, we're more or less on the last topics :shocking: This year has gone so fast. I can't believe it! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Jazza wrote:
    Thanks guys :)

I was just getting a bit over emotional over the whole thing. I am determined to work hard and practice.

And Laura, we're more or less on the last topics :shocking: This year has gone so fast. I can't believe it! :crazyeyes

If you are on the last topics just think how much time you have in class that is revision time then.

Seriously, there are over 2 months til your first exam, if you just get your head down you will be fine. Of that I am sure.