Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What don't you like about the Lib Dems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so everyone has plenty to moan about when it comes to conservatives and labour, my question is what is so wrong with lib dems? why are they still not taken seriously as an opposition party?.........to be fair i don't really look at the parties' policies, only what you hear on the news, i don't vote so i'm not that bothered...........

but what does surprise is me is that despite everyone being so disgruntled with the two major parties noone thinks will lib dem will work either.............why is this? i have only heard good things in the main e.g. raising tax for the richer lot, reducing it for the rest, legalising cannabis and relaxing laws on other drugs (tho i spose this is a mixed bag), they oppose the war, and charles kennedy seems like a nice enough bloke, even if he is a pussycat...........

they are constantly improving in the polls, but mostly out of disgust for the other parties no?........so tell me please what is wrong with lib dems? is it just their lack of experience in government or does nobody believe they can deliver on their policies.....?......my only beef would be that they swing too far the other way, e.g. they seem quite anti-religious and secular, have odd views on marriage, are for legalising prostitution, want to relax the watershed etc......and they seem to contradict themselves at times, mind you don't most parties?

what are your views?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think they're anti-NHS. I'm not.
    J wrote:
    I don't have a clue about their policy.

I'd choose them mainly because they use the colour yellow, and I think we're all going to skip off down the brick road to ask the wizard for a new heart.

:lol: that's as good a reason as any.
    MoonRat wrote:

erm.... :confused: i'm sure we can all google for the lib dems site?......are they gonna tell us what's wrong with them? :rolleyes: .........don't you have a view?
    i find them to be more oppurtunistic than the tories, they have some good ideas, but they dont give any idea of howd theyd restructure to make things better
    lesser of three evils i guess
    Vote GREEN :p
    I don't think it's possible no dislike the Lib Dems, they are so insignificant... :p
    On the areas which get my gander up (civil liberties, the drug war etc.) they seem the most sensible of the lot.

That and they just seem a slightly more decent bunch than the others.

Oh, and they are not for the legalisation of cannabis, not publically at any rate.
    they don't say it outright bcos they dont want to alienate some voters, but if you look at their policies on drugs.........but maybe decriminilisation instead of legalisation, bcos of all the binding drug treaties we have signed........sigh.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    erm.... :confused: i'm sure we can all google for the lib dems site?......are they gonna tell us what's wrong with them? :rolleyes: .........don't you have a view?

Perhaps Moonrat likes them? Your question asks for replies/views about 'what's wrong?'.
    Poor Luke must be trashing his room if he's reading this, unable to express his feelings towards the Lib Dems :D

They're not a left wing party but they still have some very good policies. They're the only ones of the three main parties that openly advocate raising taxes to improve services. Labour might agree with that but dares not say it, and we all know what the Tories stand for...

Socially the Lib Dems are as good as Labour if not more, and I agree with practically all of their foreign policy from the EU to our relationship with America.

If the Lib Dems were to adopt the one star policy the other two won't contemplate (i.e. renationalise the railways), I reckon they could simply hold the key to the election and overtake the tories as the second force in parliament.
    They kept Thatcher in power. The end.
    Yeah, every one of the lib dems voted for thatcher. :rolleyes:
    el_bertie wrote:
    They kept Thatcher in power. The end.
    Presumably they're keeping Labour in power now as well?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah, every one of the lib dems voted for thatcher. :rolleyes:

Er, did I say that? No. They split the left wing vote at a time when she was immensely vulnerable, and due to the disproportional nature of SMP systems, they didn't even really get anything for their troubles.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Presumably they're keeping Labour in power now as well?
    No, the Conservatives' inability to function as a cohesive unit is doing a perfectly good job of that.
    Lukesh is back?
    Eh?
    lol, nah look at his post his english is too good :lol:
    Anyway, I vote lib dem, just so people know, and apparently, if everyone who actually support lib dem voted for them, they'd get into power, but not enough people believe that the lib dems can take it.
    I think their biggest problem is personnel, and I don't mean that in terms of the quality of the people doing the jobs, more their public awareness. People know who like Tory shadow ministers are, but in terms of the Lib Dems, most would only really know Kenedy. A few more stars is what they need, imo.
    You're sort of right, though how many of the general public could name 2 or more shaddow cabinet members?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Lukesh is back?

You mean he has gone?

:wave:

:hyper:
    How have you not noticed? He got banned over the weekend/friday
    bongbudda wrote:
    You're sort of right, though how many of the general public could name 2 or more shaddow cabinet members?

The inevitable follow on question of course. To that, not even my powers can extend to how to come to a way of bucking the British public's apathy towards politics.
    Well I don't know who this Lukesh chap is, I used to post here when it was the old forum as Citizen_Bertie, but I can assure you I'm not him!
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Anyway, I vote lib dem, just so people know, and apparently, if everyone who actually support lib dem voted for them, they'd get into power, but not enough people believe that the lib dems can take it.

But isn't that the same with any political party? Nobody gets in because everyone either thinks it's futile voting, because their party doesn't have a chance, or that their party is so ahead of the others it wont make any difference anyway.
    Don't worry, we've gathered that already just from your English.

Luke's English was somewhat different to most of us- but apparently he was dyslexic so it's understandable.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    How have you not noticed? He got banned over the weekend/friday

I don't come here at weekends, what thread did he get banned on may I enquire?