Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

eat well in the uni canteen - how?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know how to eat healthy using a university canteen?

Comments

• Options
    every serving comes with a hair
    :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: and :yuck:
  • Options
    Yeah jacket potatoes are a good idea, however at our uni canteen they often come with dirt cooked onto them :crazyeyes
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    and every serving comes with a hair :thumb: :yuck:

:lol:

In my first year I was on a meal plan at Uni and I must have eaten so much utter crap because, like rachie said it's mostly chips and pizza etc. However they did do a "take away" option at my Uni where you got a certain amount of point per meal ticket and could get little salads, fruit, milk, water, cereal bars etc. I don't know if your Uni does anything like that but if it does, take full advantage. Also even within the hot meals they offer there's bound to be a healthier choice...even if it's not ideal. Try and avoid things like the pizza and chips and go for any veg they're offering (stating the obvious or what!) even though it tends to be overcooked to a sludge. Pudding-wise, any fruit/yoghurt type things they offer are a better idea than cakes and the like. Just use your noggin, really, although the menu is usually pretty grim there's usually something you can salvage :)
  • Options
    oh thats why i went slef catering, was good
  • Options
    could u not take a packed lunch? it saves money too!
  • Options
    do you mean that you live in catered halls or that you are eating in the canteen at dinner time when you are in uni?

if it is the first then i agree with everything briggi said.

if you are just there for dinner tme then i would say take a packed lunch if you are so concerned
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    At our campus we had lots of healthy stuff from salads to paninni etc. As well as that there was a serving of chips for whoever wanted but generally the food in our canteen was quite nice.
  • Options
    I went self-catered and had gained a stone and a half by Easter last year. Luckily though, I've lost 2st since and eating healthily is easy if you cook for yourself and actually want to make the ffort. Unfortunately, buying healthy food is more expensive, I come home with about half the volume of food that I did when I was eating like a pig :(