Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tax is immoral

The government is scrounging off the earnings of people who work hard, it is making money on the labour of others.

This is immoral.

Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What nonsense. Tax is used to pay for schools, hospitals etc.
    Kermit wrote:
    The government is scrounging off the earnings of people who work hard, it is making money on the labour of others.

This is immoral.

Discuss.

it might be unfair but where else is the government going to get money for services, it all evens out somewhere along the line....usually.
    btw kermit, I guess you're trying to show how my argument on the conservative thread is nonsense, but you're not, you're just showing how you have not understood it.
    No I'm not, it's just an interesting side-thought I just had.

Anyway.
    OK, fairynuff. :)
    lukesh wrote:
    tax provides us with public services however some of the money is abused but you get that in everything.
    ahhh ...the other lukesh who can type all neat and proper like ...
    I absolutely agree, governments the world over are involved in the biggest mass thievery in history when they take peoples wealth.
    I absolutely agree, governments the world over are involved in the biggest mass thievery in history when they take peoples wealth.

But capitalists aren't? How do you figure that out?
    Blagsta wrote:
    But capitalists aren't? How do you figure that out?
    Goodness knows.

Excessive profit is immoral, as is profit at all costs, but making a profit per se is perfectly acceptable.

I suppose I just resent having a big chunk of my poor wage taken for the chavs over the road to have Sky telly when we don't even have one.
    dunno how i find myself agreeing with matadore twice in one night, but hey..........you say tax provides essential services, funny how i still have to pay for most essential services......i don't know what the statistics are over here, but in america 40% of federal taxes go towards paying off the interest owed to the Fed, so in essence the population are in slavery to a handful of rich banking families........clearly that is messed up.
    Kermit wrote:

This is immoral.

Discuss.
    we are taxed on everything! i dont not want to pay tax because we need a cental pot,but we do get hammered in england!..and it pisses me off!
    not sure about the immoral bit though?
    But capitalists aren't

Because you have a choice when you buy something.

But when taxed there is no choice, you give the government what it wants or you go to jail.
    Kermit wrote:
    but making a profit per se is perfectly acceptable.

But where does the profit come from?
    Kermit wrote:
    I suppose I just resent having a big chunk of my poor wage taken for the chavs over the road to have Sky telly when we don't even have one.

How do you know it does?
    Because you have a choice when you buy something.

I have a choice in whether I buy food? Or heating? Or clothing? Or whether I pay rent?
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have a choice in whether I buy food? Or heating? Or clothing? Or whether I pay rent?
    no you dont!
    have a choice in whether I buy food? Or heating? Or clothing? Or whether I pay rent

Sure you do. But sadly in the UK the state owned industries (health, education etc) mean that often you do not get a choice.

Full privitisation is the only way forward.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    no you dont!

Yes, that was my point.
    Sure you do.

Maybe you've figured out how to live off fresh air, but the rest of us mere mortals need food, warmth, clothing and shelter.
    But sadly in the UK the state owned industries (health, education etc) mean that often you do not get a choice.

Full privitisation is the only way forward.

How is that going to help anything?
    True proliferation of choice, no immovable government, no tax.

People working for themselves and their famalies again, not for a faceless government.
    "Tax is immoral" thread... Are you trying to lure back our friend moncrat, Kermit? :p

Anyways... taxation might not be perfect from a certain point of view, but in the same way as some people say 'capitalism is far from perfect but still better than the alternatives' the same can certainly be said of taxation.

Sure, we must ensure that the money collected is used well. But as long as this is done, once thing becomes crystal clear: the higher the tax, the better society is. Have a look at the quality of life for ordinary citizens in Northern European countries and compare with countries that believe in low taxes (the US being the most obvious example). Shit public services, shit pensions, shit welfare, and unless you are very rich, shit education and not even access to healthcare.

Fuck that.

What makes me laugh the most is that some of the most vocal detractors of taxation are working class or otherwise non-rich people who would truly and utterly be fucked up the arse if their wishes were granted. Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas...
    the higher the tax, the better society is

Gobshite and you know it.
    Gobshite and you know it.
    i,ll second that!
    I suppose my problem with tax is not paying it, but the lack of say on what it gets spent on.

I don't want my money to be wasted on think tanks, local quango assemblies, war or dole cheats, and I deeply resent that it is. But there's nothing I can do about it.
    Oh yeah?

If you think people having access to free, universal healthcare (as opposed to dumping dying people outside a hospital because the managers are unsure whether the person has insurance, and where the poor can't even afford to see a doctor) is a bad thing...

If you think having functioning, extensive, comprehensive and affordable transport links is a bad thing...

If you think giving OAPs a decent state pension so they can live the rest of their lives in comfort and dignity (as opposed to dying of cold becaue they can't afford the gas bill) is a bad thing...

Then perhaps you're right and those societies are not better than others with none of the above. :rolleyes:

It would seem that it is you who is peddling gobshite my friend.

Nighty night...
    If you think people having access to free, universal healthcare

But if this so called 'healthcare' is a load of shite then its ahrdly worth paying for is it>?
    as opposed to dumping dying people outside a hospital because the managers are unsure whether the person has insurance, and where the poor can't even afford to see a doctor

Very rare occurance, this. You are jsut as likely to die from a dirty European state run hospital as you are from this.
    If you think having functioning, extensive, comprehensive and affordable transport

If you want to spend trillions of dollars on them then fine, go ahead.
    If you think giving OAPs a decent state pension so they can live the rest of their lives in comfort and dignity

Private pensions work just as well.

This bullshit about private services being in some way 'immoral' is part of the package of lies the left have perpetuated since 1945 in order to increase spending on an increasingly bloated, iinefficient, ineffective state system which enfeebles the population and weakens society.

A truly good society is one where every person provides for him or herself, where government is cut back drastically so it does not infringe on peoples lives.
    This bullshit about private services being in some way 'immoral' is part of the package of lies the left have perpetuated since 1945 in order to increase spending on an increasingly bloated, iinefficient, ineffective state system which enfeebles the population and weakens society.

Yeah, of course a large chunk of the limited pot should be creamed off for the shareholder/s -its basic sense :rolleyes:
    TheMatador wrote:
    A truly good society is one where every person provides for him or herself, where government is cut back drastically so it does not infringe on peoples lives.

Welcome to ancient Sparta.....
    I really hope you don't lose your job.
    But if this so called 'healthcare' is a load of shite then its ahrdly worth paying for is it>?
    What ''load of shite'' would this be?

Even if you believe that healthcare in Britain is a load of shite (which is not) it is still infinitely better to NO HEALTHCARE.

Is it not?

And let's not mention hospitals in Northern European countries, paid by higher taxes.

Even the Cubans have better healthcare access than the less well off in the US. And that by the way is a fact.

Very rare occurance, this. You are jsut as likely to die from a dirty European state run hospital as you are from this.
    You're scrapping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? :D

If you want to spend trillions of dollars on them then fine, go ahead.
    Zillions. Zillions uptillions mega billions.

You're just being silly now. :D

Private pensions work just as well.
    For some.

Are you on ket?

Fact: public services run by the State are infinitely better, cheaper and more efficient than when run by private companies.

And do you know why? Because the ONLY goal of a private company is to make the maximum amount of profit possible for its shareholders. So consumers, service and quality be damned.

And before you mention any bullshit about 'competition' and customers going elsewhere, let me remind you that in practically all cases private companies have monopolies of the services they offer (water companies, train operators) so the consumer has no choice but to use them.

Oh dear dear Matadore... have you had a lobotomy courtesy of the Adam Smith Institute by any chance?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh yeah?

If you think people having access to free, universal healthcare (as opposed to dumping dying people outside a hospital because the managers are unsure whether the person has insurance, and where the poor can't even afford to see a doctor) is a bad thing...

If you think having functioning, extensive, comprehensive and affordable transport links is a bad thing...

If you think giving OAPs a decent state pension so they can live the rest of their lives in comfort and dignity (as opposed to dying of cold becaue they can't afford the gas bill) is a bad thing...

Then perhaps you're right and those societies are not better than others with none of the above. :rolleyes:

It would seem that it is you who is peddling gobshite my friend.

Nighty night...
    50/50..i agree with half of what your saying,but you neglect to realise where money gets wasted.