Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Last BOOK you read!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've read all the books in my room and this month's vogue (and various other fash mags *blush*) and my recommended reading list for next year (well the fiction anyway! :p ). And so now I want ideas for a new book to begin.
So people, what was the last book you read?

I'll start off with: 'The Da Vinci Code', which was definitely worth the hype and was definitely compulsive reading.
Another recent fave was 'Belle Du Jour: Adventures of a London Call Girl'. Which was great, but not one you can read with a stranger reading it over your shoulder (not one to read in the staff room then).

Who's next?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The last book i read was the da vinci code, as you said it is worth the hype.
  • Options
    i am on the last 20 or so pages of the da vinci code and i don't want it to end!! Do u read all the books on ur reading list? what subject do u do? are u at uni then?.
  • Options
    The Green Mile - Stephen King :thumb:
  • Options
    x emsy x wrote:
    i am on the last 20 or so pages of the da vinci code and i don't want it to end!! Do u read all the books on ur reading list? what subject do u do? are u at uni then?.

I'm not at uni yet - I'm having a gap year and reading keeps me sane! I'll be doing English and Philosophy in September. I've just about covered all my 'good literature' stuff on the list though!
    And I didn't want the 'da vinci code' to end either!
  • Options
    i'm doin histoy but i never manage to skim read half my reading list-reckon i betta get my arse in gear!!! wot uni will u b doin ur course at? english is a tough course isn't it?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    The Green Mile - Stephen King :thumb:
    :heart: tbh :yes: I need to get my copy back though...

The last book I read was, also, the Da Vinci Code. I am currently reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King. Tis mucho good.
  • Options
    i've only read 1 stephen king called "Christine", about a car. it was years ago so i don't remember much, but rememba it was scary!
  • Options
    I re-read five quarters of the orange by Joanne Harris. And Le Petit Prince by Antoine St-Exupéry as I'm studying it for coursework coz it's awesome :heart:
  • Options
    if you like the da vinci code you could also try digital fortress by dan brown. tis v good :yes:

oo, oo, or, read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. very very good. 7 books in all :yes: i could not put them down
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Last book I read was The Grim Grotto (SOUE) Lemony Snicket. Loved that series. The book I am reading at the moment is An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Am really enjoying this book. Tis very good.
  • Options
    London From Punk to Blair ed. Joe Kerr & Andrew Gibson
    Peter Marshall - Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism
    Iain Sinclair - Downriver
  • Options
    The last book I read was probably 'Of Mice & Men' for good ole GCSE. :nervous:

My current read for the next 4 months will be:

'Foundation Accounting Tutorial' :yes: :hyper: :crying:
  • Options
    Crispy wrote:
    The last book I read was probably 'Of Mice & Men' for good ole GCSE. :nervous:

That book is evil...EVIL!!!!
  • Options
    The last book I read was Praxis by Fay Weldon.
    It was really weird.
  • Options
    The hero with a 1000 faces by Joesph Campbell
    Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon
  • Options
    I've just finished reading Hey Rube by Hunter S Thompson, learnt of his death while reading it, grim.
  • Options
    Erm last couple of books I've read were the da vinci code - definately worth the read
    and revelation by bill napier, wasn't bad but anything was going to be a come down after the da vinci code. Now reading shattered icon also by bill Napier
  • Options
    Last book I read was 'The Great Gatsby' by F.Scott Fitzgerald. It's marvellous :love:

Of Mice and Men is amazing Franki, what you talking about?! :p
  • Options
    Atm i am reading The Dark eye - Ingrid black, not read much of it but seems... Okish, will see if i get into it,

Also, Dean knootz (think it's spelt right) his books are awsome, Odd thomas, The bad place ect,
  • Options
    Don't start me on The Great Gatsby, either :|

Of Mice and Men is evil. Really. EVIL.
  • Options
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. Well worth a read.

Currently reading "Crime and Punishment", it's hard going.
  • Options
    harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban :D
  • Options
    I just read Olivia Joules and the overactive imagination, by Helen Fielding (who wrote Bridget Jones). Only read it because my cousin lent it to me and I had to spend a day waiting around in court, but it was okay. Nice mindless, undemanding drivel. Think they are making a film of it.
  • Options
    plath - the bell jar

(whoever said i was depressing?)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    That book is evil...EVIL!!!!

Word.

Colin Forbes - No Mercy.

I have re-read Christine since then, does that count?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'm currently reading:

Roses are red - James Patterson
  • Options
    I've just finished re-reading 'The Chosen' by Chaim Potok, it was as utterly enjoyable and involving this time as before, and I found it especially fascinating because it really opened my eyes to the ways of Modern Judaism. I'd really strongly recommend it to anyone, as well as any of the author's other novels...compassionate, heartbreaking and just bloody brilliant.

Am now reading 'Accordion Crimes', by Annie Proulx. Having read 'Postcards' and 'The Shipping News' and loved both, I have to say I'm finding it a lot harder to "get into" this one. We'll see, though :)
  • Options
    trainspotting - irvine welsh

in 100 years there'll be no gay or straight...just wankers...sounds great to me
  • Options
    DaVinci Codes...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have just finished An Equal Music by Vikram Seth and now want to read A Suitable Boy by the same author. I loved An Equal Music. It was written so nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Currently reading Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. Not enjoying it as much as the Vikram Seth book.