Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

37p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cheapskates

I can't believe nothing is been done about that. 37p for a meal is disgusting. I bet more is spent on prison food...If we can afford to spend billions of pounds in Iraq surely we could do a bit better than 37p and start giving children decent food. Go Jamie Oliver!

Comments

• Options
    More is indeed spent on prison food, the stats showed that not so long ago.

It is yet another reason why poor people are less healthy: kids on free dinners have to eat that slop when richer parents can afford good packed lunches, for instance.

Jamie Oliver, despite being a Mockney twat, actually seems to be a sound bloke on a lot of things.
  • Options
    and as you could see none of the kids ate the stuff jamie made them cause well what do you expect if you feed kids crap day after day, they get used to it

i mainly blame the parents for poor taste buds in bringing up the kids, no harm in sweets and all, every child has had them through time, just encourage them to eat a variety
  • Options
    Cheapskates

I can't believe nothing is been done about that. 37p for a meal is disgusting. I bet more is spent on prison food...If we can afford to spend billions of pounds in Iraq surely we could do a bit better than 37p and start giving children decent food. Go Jamie Oliver!
    37P? fuckin hell! didnt realise they spent that much...i live on that per week! :)
  • Options
    I'm actually quite for extending primary education hours, giving the kids two decent meals and then making them do more PE.

And giving schools 50p at least for every meal.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Our school has 35p per meal, then charges the kids £1.60 for the priviledge. Some bastard is making a quick buck somewhere.
  • Options
    I think there might be some sort of parallel here with hospital cleaners, both were farmed out to contractors and both are now shite.
  • Options
    after hearing how little they spend on school dinners, my kids will definitely have packed lunches.

even if it's just a sandwich with 18p value bread and an apple a day, at least i'll know what they're eating. i'll grow my own chuffing veg if i have to.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    after hearing how little they spend on school dinners, my kids will definitely have packed lunches.

even if it's just a sandwich with 18p value bread and an apple a day, at least i'll know what they're eating. i'll grow my own chuffing veg if i have to.

If only all parents actually cared about what their kids eat.

The generation that are kids now arent going to live longer than their parents, that should be distressing to everyone in the country.
  • Options
    My mum couldn't be bothered with the whole packed lunch thing as soon as I got into high school. I had free dinners and I ate shit. All I ate was chips, chips and erm...chips. Schools don't serve decent food at all.

with the state of other 'food' they have, youre better off with the chips anyway

i had chips done me no harm, i eat sweets still, and i eat greasy food and i eat mcdonalds etc, however i dont overdo it, and i eat good food as well as the 'bad' foods, even tohugh theres no definate thing as a 'good food'

food nazi's piss me off nothing wrong with pigging out here and there, just dont do it constant, and remember, most kids tastebuds and suited to what their parents have brought them up on. This tend to continue, if parents introduced their kids to a variety of foods from a young age, theyd be more willing to try foods
    if you saw jamies school dinners, youd see, he made them nice and healthy food, they wouldnt touch it though. Mainly cause theyve never seen it before and have been brought up eating the same foods over and over again rarely trying new food, and thus wont try it.
  • Options
    So just because they are used to crap at home we should only feed them crap? Thats maddness.
  • Options
    Do private schools still have to abide by the 37p rule?

Cos my school dinners are great and reasonably healthy. In saying that though, it's much easier to go into town for a Burger King or Greggs than queue up with all the snotty, wingy kids. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Hmm iw as always given packed lunches for school dinners but always hated that and would have much prefered to be able to go to the canteen and hae chips or pizza everyday. Good healthy food bored me. I had that every night at home. i wanted something bad and I suppose to be like all my friends durin the day.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So just because they are used to crap at home we should only feed them crap? Thats maddness.

no but if you made the food something theyre not used to, they just wont eat it, theyll go chippy or something, like i did cause my school dinners were overpriced pieces of crap

not all vegetables arent nasty, theyre just brought up on badly cooked ones, i was for sure. When i started cooking for myself, i didnt boil them until there was no goodness left in them for example

chips for school dinner = fine staple food really
    pasta = good too, if it aint stcky
    FRESH salad = good
    simple nicely cooked vegetables = nice
    fruit = good
    burgers, should be on there, but not the quality at my old school which was offal quality

see at my school we got lunch, and instead of it being a meal it probably paid for chips and something to go with it, so you got the most filling nice one possible. It should be you get a choice of staple food like chips, rice, pasta or jacket potato(rotate them around), with 2 choices of greens out of salad, vegetables, fruit or fruit juice and something else like say erm some meat or pizza or usual school dinner food, but not as shit quality, dont have to be amazing, just not shit! oh and as much water as you want. if that cost under £2 id encourage my kid to take it up as main thing :thumb:
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    Do private schools still have to abide by the 37p rule?

Cos my school dinners are great and reasonably healthy. In saying that though, it's much easier to go into town for a Burger King or Greggs than queue up with all the snotty, wingy kids. :rolleyes:

Schools dont HAVE to spend 37p, thats all they get from the government, anything else has to be taken from their ordinary budget. I presume private schools do just that.
  • Options
    chips for school dinner = fine staple food really
    pasta = good too, if it aint stcky
    FRESH salad = good
    simple nicely cooked vegetables = nice
    fruit = good
    burgers, should be on there, but not the quality at my old school which was offal quality

How can you say chips are fine? They have no goodness in them at all and are packed full of fat and salt.

The rest I agree with though.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    How can you say chips are fine? They have no goodness in them at all and are packed full of fat and salt.

The rest I agree with though.

did you make out the paragraph at the bottom, what do you think?

and chips actually do have nutrients, depends on how u make them and how many processing steps theyve gone through.... you can buy chips that have been made with minumum amount of salt, and well fat isnt good for you, but half a plate of chips isnt gonna kill you either, theres worse things out there...

i eat chips when i cant be bothered to cook, which is half the time but mixing it in with a good mix of food is quite good...
  • Options
    did you make out the paragraph at the bottom, what do you think?

and chips actually do have nutrients, depends on how u make them and how many processing steps theyve gone through.... you can buy chips that have been made with minumum amount of salt, and well fat isnt good for you, but half a plate of chips isnt gonna kill you either, theres worse things out there...

i eat chips when i cant be bothered to cook, which is half the time but mixing it in with a good mix of food is quite good...

Yes, but do you buy the cheapest crappiest chips and then deep fry them?

School chips are the worst of the worst, yes you can make healthier chips but schools dont.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

There is nothing wrong with chips, if they form part of a balanced diet. Sadly this isn't always the case.

It's also worth noting that fresh vegetables and fruit are not an expensive option, however more effort is required in their preparation. Unfortunately this sometimes puts parents off this option.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with chips, if they form part of a balanced diet. Sadly this isn't always the case.

It's also worth noting that fresh vegetables and fruit are not an expensive option, however more effort is required in their preparation. Unfortunately this sometimes puts parents off this option.

I know there is nothing wrong with them as an occasional food, but he described them as a 'staple' thats clearly not a good idea for a kid.
  • Options
    37p buys you what these days??? an apple? is that a healthy balanced meal? yes it's healthy in it's self but not on it's own.

i went to a CoE school near glastonbury once, and there were no school meals, the only people who got meals from the school were the kids that got free meals. and they were good meals, a proper freshly made sandwich, a fruit drink, a piece of fruit, maybe a baby bell type thing and something sweet. thats not exspencive to make, nor is it unhealthy. And this wasn't in a rich community either. half the village were on benefits, it was very muti cultural, we had a huge mix of muslims, pagans, christians, i think there might have even been a jewish family.....all of this in a village of no more than 5000. the village school only had 120 pupils. and it all worked.

yes i do agree, it's mainly down to parents, but 37p isn't enough. why not give schools allotments, on which they can not only use for classes, but for growing food on too?.....
  • Options
    37p buys you what these days??? an apple?

Economies of scale means that bulk purchasing will buy you more than that.

Seriously, this isn't much less than hospitals have to feed patients... all day for about £1, if I'm not mistaken.
    why not give schools allotments, on which they can not only use for classes, but for growing food on too?.....

Indeed, this sounds an eminently sensible idea. Provided that such space is available, and didn't affect sports facilities...
  • Options
    Oliver has managed to get another extra £150,000 out of the LEA budget, which equates to 13p per meal. This is so that the staff can be paid the extra hour of preparation time that good food requires.

Chips and burgers can be cooked in minutes, it's why fast food is bad for you.
  • Options
    why not give schools allotments, on which they can not only use for classes, but for growing food on too?.....

At a time schools are selling sports pitches? You want to waste time growing food?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think there might be some sort of parallel here with hospital cleaners, both were farmed out to contractors and both are now shite.

Privatisation.

Can you lot believe I and every child in the country used to receive half a pint of milk free every day because the government thought it was good for us.

37p? For a rich Western European country with a booming economy. Sick.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Can you lot believe I and every child in the country used to receive half a pint of milk free every day because the government thought it was good for us.

"Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher..."

Oh, and it was 1/3 pint.
  • Options
    "Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher..."

Oh, and it was 1/3 pint.

My first political slogan, I must have been about 8 :hyper:

Was it really? shows how everything seems bigger in memory!

Edited to add: If you young un's ever wonder why people over thirty are so bitter about Maggie this is one of the reasons.

She took our milk away when we were infants and we will not forgive :crying: :impissed:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    everything seems bigger in memory!

*sighs*

Tell me about it ;)
    Edited to add: If you young un's ever wonder why people over thirty are so bitter about Maggie this is one of the reasons.

She took our milk away when we were infants and we will not forgive :crying: :impissed:

That and the loss of hope.

"There is no such things as society"

3m unemployed

The Poll Tax

End of mining industry.

Rise of Murdoch.

I could go on...
  • Options
    *sighs*

Tell me about it ;)

:lol:

That and the loss of hope.

"There is no such things as society"

3m unemployed

The Poll Tax

End of mining industry.

Rise of Murdoch.

I could go on...

Oh I didn't want to start on the rest as I'm in a good mood. The milk was her little warm up the next 15 years. :eek2:

I don't know whats worse her milk-snatching without a care or Blair's 37p dinners and side order of fake sincerity :confused:
  • Options
    I was having milk at school when I was in primary school, and that was 1994.

For the record, like.
  • Options
    That would have been down to your local authority and local taxpayers.

And for the record, I was married with one child by then :(