Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off the Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A quick question: is it wise to stop taking the Pill (Microgynon-30) in the middle of a pack, or to wait until the end? What effects, if any, can I expect? This is only my second month of being on it, and I know it can take 3 months for side effects to subside, but I feel so bloated/irritable, and dissatisfied with it generally that I don't think I can last until the end of the pack.
I missed one pill on Sunday by over 12 hours, so just left that and carried on taking the pills for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Now I have started light bleeding, when it's not time for the break.
I planned on stopping after finishing this pack anyway, so is it worth continuing this month or just stop now?
Thanks in advance for any reply x

Comments

• Options
    Almost everyone gets a bit of spotting from time to time, it's probably nothing to do with missing that days pill.

It's probably best to wait until the end of the pack, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that! Phone the NHS helpline (not sure where you are, but the Scottish number is 08454242424 and the English number IS 0845 4647) and they'll advise you, or go the the local FPC. :thumb:
  • Options
    you could stop now, but only if you are NOT relying on it for contraception. i don't want to be responsible for any babies! ;)

side effects will probably just be erratic bleeding for a little while and it'll probably take a while for any other side effects to calm down a bit.
  • Options
    Luce wrote:
    A quick question: is it wise to stop taking the Pill (Microgynon-30) in the middle of a pack, or to wait until the end? What effects, if any, can I expect? This is only my second month of being on it, and I know it can take 3 months for side effects to subside, but I feel so bloated/irritable, and dissatisfied with it generally that I don't think I can last until the end of the pack.
    I missed one pill on Sunday by over 12 hours, so just left that and carried on taking the pills for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Now I have started light bleeding, when it's not time for the break.
    I planned on stopping after finishing this pack anyway, so is it worth continuing this month or just stop now?
    Thanks in advance for any reply x

i stopped the pill half way through all it did was made me come on as normal! i wouldnt see why there would be a problem!
  • Options
    Thanks for help! No i'm not replying on it for contraception now. My boobs have got bigger which has looked nice but i've found annoying, as they feel too full and my tops look too tight. I've put on about half a stone, which is a complete joke as I do quite a lot of exercise. I'm hoping once I stop taking it, I will shrink back again - staying on it any longer would mean buying the next clothing size up, which I can't get my head round lol (as well as it costing more)!
  • Options
    If I were you I'd call fpa just in case to check:

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk