Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Elections For Schools!

Story.

Turnout at the last General Election was 59%. Hardly impressive. So, what does this Government do to get people interested in politics once more? Does it start telling it like it is? Does it abandon the dark arts of spin? Maybe an attempt to engage the people of the country in debate? If only!

No, as always from a government that never thinks anything through, (fox-hunting anyone?) they're going to make sure that schools across the UK take part in a mock general election. Apparently, the Government boasts that about 600 schools have already signed up for the "Y(outh?) Vote Mock Elections 2005", where pupils in the schools will learn the skills of speech writers, canvassers and political candidates.

Schools Minister Stephen Twigg says: "Young people who are engaged and motivated by the political process are essential to the future health of our democracy. The mock elections initiative provides an opportunity for pupils to develop their own understanding of how the democratic process works and why it matters. By experiencing the election process first hand - from running a campaign to the declaration of the final result - we hope that young people will develop the enthusiasm to take part in the future."

Why does the word "gimmick" come to mind?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think it's such a crazy idea myself to be honest. It is very important to get youngsters interested in the political and democratic process, and this is as good an initiative as any.

It doesn't address the present low turnout, I'll give you that. But then it shouldn't be since it's targetting future generations of voters.
  • Options
    I agree. I think many people don't vote becuase they have no interest in politics or are not well informed about politics. I think it could be a good idea after all they are the future generation and it will be them who decides what they want in the country in the future.

It really annoyes me though when people go around moaning about the Goverment and what they are doing and then you ask them if they voted and they say no, they then have no right to moan. 1 vote could make all the difference.

Sorry for my wee rant there.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Why does the word "gimmick" come to mind?

So let's see.

A practical lesson in politics, and you call it a gimmick. On that basis you have a better idea. Please share...
  • Options
    We had mock elections when I was at school - made all the more realistic by allegations of collusion between teachers and favoured pupils, vote stuffing and threats of violence by the prefects to ensure no-one voted for candidates who they didn't like.
  • Options
    A practical lesson in politics, and you call it a gimmick. On that basis you have a better idea. Please share...
    My comment was not so much an attack on the idea, more of a dig at the way politics is conducted increasingly these days. Looking more sardonically at all this, I'm just wondering if truant pupils will receive a postal ballot.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    My comment was not so much an attack on the idea, more of a dig at the way politics is conducted increasingly these days.

Something the kids will get the chance to learn about, no doubt. Lessons like this might healp to teach people how to see through the world of spin a little more...
    Looking more sardonically at all this, I'm just wondering if truant pupils will receive a postal ballot.

Sad as I am, I actually did LOL at that...
  • Options
    Something the kids will get the chance to learn about, no doubt. Lessons like this might healp to teach people how to see through the world of spin a little more...
    We might discover the next Peter Mandelson in the process. God help us...
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    1 vote could make all the difference.

If only.....

FACT: Blair and Labour will be the next government.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    We had mock elections when I was at school - made all the more realistic by allegations of collusion between teachers and favoured pupils, vote stuffing and threats of violence by the prefects to ensure no-one voted for candidates who they didn't like.

Indeed, the "gimmick" could easily turn young people off the process at the gullible stage......
  • Options
    Most probarly but still if you don't vote then you don't really have a right to make comments on whatever Goverment takes over. If you get what I mean.
  • Options
    FACT: Blair and Labour will be the next government.

No really?

There's a surprise.

Not fact though, just an opinion. Unless, of course, you can prove it ;)
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Most probarly but still if you don't vote then you don't really have a right to make comments on whatever Goverment takes over. If you get what I mean.

FACT 2: My MP after the election will be Simon Hughes, with a majority of a few thousand.....
  • Options
    People who are stupid enough to need encouragement to vote should not be encouraged to exercise their voice, the ignorant don’t need to be silenced they will do that on their own. People need to be educated about the world around them and how it is effected by elections, once they see the importance of voting they will come around.

And besides loading up a bunch of young with campaigning strategies and biased media then sending them to the polling booths will do little to assist in the democratic endeavor.