Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

For People who bite their nails...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey!
i really need your help. i have bitten my nails for my whole life, and ive now finally decided to stop after 19 years. But its soooo hard! ive not bitten them for 5 days now, and i can see they've grown. it also makes my fingers look better, as there's no bits of skin peeling above my nails.
Has anybody got any tips to help me??? ive tried the stuff u paint on your nails, but i cant actually taste it. im actually painting them at the moment, as i find i dont want to bite them as much when they're painted because:
a) it ruins the nail varnish
b) it tastes gross
Please help me!!
Anyone done this and been sucessful?? share your stories, it may give me more determination!
Thanx
SBG

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Will power :yes:

And also - Boots Nail Strengthener...it tastes disgusting, and also stops your nails breaking (it's also good for stopping my suck my thumb :p)
    Will power :yes:

And also - Boots Nail Strengthener...it tastes disgusting, and also stops your nails growing (it's also good for stopping my suck my thumb :p)

sounds good for the taste, but i do want my nails to grow.
    im not very good when it comes to willpower, but im trying!
    Any other suggestions?
    SBG
    sounds good for the taste, but i do want my nails to grow.
    im not very good when it comes to willpower, but im trying!
    Any other suggestions?
    SBG
    I meant breaking...what the fuck is with me today :confused:

It stops your nails BREAKING...*edits post*
    wow, sounds good. hope my nails get to the stage where they're long enough to break, lol.
    is it in a bottle like a nail varnish?
    how much is it aswell?
    SBG
    It is really good...and yeh, nail varnish-type bottle.

I can't ACTUALLY remember :\ only about a fiver though, and it last aaaaaaaages, and works really well :)
    ahh, great. thanx alot
    SBG
    Getting braces stopped me (but may be a touch extreme!!)
    I have bitten my nails since I was four and just up to last month-ish, I was growing them and they looked really nice.

it is all about willpower, I feel. Once you see em grow nice, then you start thinking about pretty nail polish, etc.

I found it really difficult to maintain them though, because my nails are really really thin (like ricepaper as told by the japanese guy at a nail-bar one time).

I started biting them again when uni started getting stressful and that, so am back to square one.

Another bad habit I have is I suck my thumb. I still haven't sorted that one out yet.
    I tried the awful tasting nail varnish for years which didn't work at all I gave up on using that last January/February and eventually it was will power that did it for me haven't bitten them for about a year now.