Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

family addicts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my dad is a heroin addict and has been since he split up with my mum in 87

he has been in and out of jail for most of my life and now he wants to get to know me better and start a new relationship

the thing is i dont think i can get close to him ortrust him coz im to scared of losing him again

Comments

• Options
    Hi, that sounds pretty shitty really. I think you've got to be feeling v. strong about yourself, before letting him in again. You need to be in control of the situation cos if you're not, there's a good chance you'll get hurt.
    He's your dad, so it's totally understandable you want to trust him but I would take things really slowly, and be honest with him from the start. Explain your feelings and worries, and make some ground rules - ie. honesty.
    He might mess up again tho, and you need to be prepared for that possibility.
    I wish you luck - being estranged from a parent is hard, but if you both want it to work, you can build up your relationship again. I hope you work it out! xx
  • Options
    keep ur head upn dont let no body get under ur skin. live ur life n live it well. I have a crack head for a mother and a dead beat dad. Typical american portrait. But I stuck to my shit , I still am. You nee dto learn form their mistakes , people like us have seen and been part of too much shit to just let it eat us alive. You gotta learn from whatcha see, and let what you think be known. keep it real n be safe. Tell ur dad fuck em'