Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

diabetes and drugs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heyup everyone just thought id send a messege in about something i get worried about when i see it and what could happen? the thing is that my freind has got diabetes and he takes drugs such as extascy and amphetamines and im wondering does this effect the chance of somthing bad happening and is is life risking for him to do it? jst looking for a little advice so i can give him it if i need to. thnx alot . heppi .

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    back in the early 80's i knew a very nice lady who was diabetic and mainlined amphetamine.
    it didn't seem to interfere with the diabities but ...i do remember her having a couple of bad times ...someone said it was something to do with a suger cut ...
    but ...not a clue.
    Depends how closely he monitors his blood glucose levels. If he's up all night and not eating regular meals then of course his diabetic control will suffer.

It's up to him which he's more concerned about, but he should be aware of the importance of monitoring his sugars and taking his insulin as needed.
    thx alot for what u said i just hope nothing happends when im out with him becuase if it did i wudnt be able to live with myself coz id feel giulty i didnt sayin somthing before he took them oh well lets just hope nothing happends *touches wood* and comtinue to have a laugh on drugs lol
    thx alot for what u said i just hope nothing happends when im out with him becuase if it did i wudnt be able to live with myself coz id feel giulty i didnt sayin somthing before he took them oh well lets just hope nothing happends *touches wood* and comtinue to have a laugh on drugs lol
    well touching wood don't sound very scientific but such is the way of the world.
    if your realy concerned ...google it and do some research.
    see ...if it was legal ...the pharmacist could give you advice ...the bottle would be labled with warnings and advice ...
    www.rxlist.com will probably have some info on the mix of amphetamines and diabetes.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Diabetes has been flagged up as a possible problem for MDMA users, but there has been very little research done to investigate this. As your friend is in a higher risk category for drug taking, they will need to monitor themselves quite carefully.
    You could try callingNHS Direct and see if they can give you any more information.
    I'm not sure that they would be a great deal of help, I'd be surprised if they didnt just say 'dont do it' or 'Talk to Frank' both options not really being all that helpful.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Would you care to do a search to see if you can find something a bit more useful then?
    I had a feeling you might say that. I'll see what I can find.
    Even Google doesn't provide too many sources on this. The research is really really sparse.

Either way the only thing I know is that both regarding alcohol and drugs one needs to do frequent blood meassurements, especially before heading off to bed. Thing is, I don't know how drugs affect the blood so if needing to inject before bedtime one doesn't know how much.
    Which is why I have to put on my phone to wake me every two hours so I can check my blood after a night out. Annoying, but rather that than being woken up by paramedics or at the hospital.

Btw, I know you asked for drugs, but at least regarding alcohol it's important that your friend eats something before bed. I was advised pizza, burger, bread or something along those lines, so the bloodsugar can stabilize throughout the night.