Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student & Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,
Here's my situation.

I'm 16 and I go to Sixth Form College Full Time. I also work at McDonalds part time. Let me say sorry for my spelling - its not my strong point. I own a Widnes Vikings season ticket.

I was given 6 shifts on the run.
Thursday [4pm-11pm], Friday [12-8pm], Saturday [8am-5pm], Sunday [8am-5pm Also the day Widnes Play], Monday [5pm-10pm], Tuesday [5pm-10pm] of this week.

The manager who sets up the shifts is called Dinu and relised we are off for half term and given me the unusal shifts for Thursday and Friday. These shifts are out of my avalability.
I went to Dinu on the Sunday before the Thursday shift and explained how that was a lot for a part time worker and is out of my avaiability. He said he might be able to get Sunday off for me. So each shift I asked if he got it off and each time he said "I'll see what I can do"
On saturday I went to see Dinu again and explained it was the last day before the shift.

Me: Dinu, can I have tomorrow off then becuase of the 6 shifts in a run?
Dinu: What shift are you on?
Me: 8-5
Dinu: That ok. You can have the day off.

Sunday morning I received a phone call from a manager called Becky. Becky explained that I was meant to be on an 8-5 and that Dinu said he hadn't given me the day off. Becky also pointed out that I had a Widnes Season ticket and took the day off to see Widnes. This was true but I also needed a break from the 6 shifts. Becky rang Neil, the store manager and he said that I could have the day off but it would be classed as a "No Show". This means I didn't turn up for my shift and won't come in.

Later that night I received a phone call explaining how I shouldnt come in for the Monday, Tuesday and the following Saturday shift becuase of "my conduct today". This message came directly from Neil.

I explained my situation again and passed over my mum who is better at dealing with these kind of things.

We have a meeting with Neil and Dinu tomorrow and I need to preapre on what to say to get this event removed from my record.

My Questions:
How many hours can I legally maximum work per week?
What is the system on breaks and minium requirements by law?
Can I request for a copy of my contract, and clock in/out records since new year?
What do you advise me do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I can only answer one of your questions, and that is you should already have a copy of your contract-were you given one when you started at the company? Also, what are your normal, contracted working days and hours? Not including overtime and things, what you would normally work in a normal week.
  • Options
    Nope, I have no copy of the contract.
    My regular working hours are Saturday Sunday and Friday but becuase is not a fixed timetable it could be anything. I never get mreo than 4 shifts though.
  • Options
    That's illegal for a start - you SHOULD have a SIGNED copy of the contract, signed by both you AND your manager, stating the number of CONTRACTED hours per week.
  • Options
    The message I think is that it is very unwise to work for McDonalds because they are utter scum who famously have complete contempt for the rights o their staff....
  • Options
    Talk to a lawyer. Surely a mate, auntie, friend's mum / dad sister, etc is a lawyer / police officer / solicitor who will be able to help.
  • Options
    They still havent gave me the contract but they understand there was a lack of communication between managers and shouldnt have suspended me.
    The Store manager is new and so, he's quite strict. The punishment was stupid and he only heard one side of the story.
  • Options
    You should go on watchdog.