Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

contract vs PAYG

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I have a debate on at the moment. I'm currently on an o2 tarriff where I get 500 free off peak minutes and 500 off peak texts. I more than use all the texts but prefer to chat online rather than on the phone so don't really use all the minutes. The main person I text is my guy and we are soon to move in together so I wont text him as much. I'm debating getting PAYG because I think it could work out cheaper, however the handsets are expensive and I've been told they aren't as good quality as contract handsets also I like the security of a contract.

What type do you use and why?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    id suggest changing tarriff to one with extra texts rather than minutes. Id go into the place where you got your phone and ask about it.
    When are you due to upgrade?
  • Options
    if you've got a decent phone on your contract then jsut cancel the contract they will probably make you buy out the remaining months of your contract and jsut pop a pay as you go sim in there and there will be no need to buy a new phone.

i
  • Options
    I would just get a PAYG sim for the existing phone. Which is in fact what I am going to do myself because my current one is costing me £20 a month and I don't use it.
  • Options
    Im on contract. I pay 20 pounds a month for 500 free texts and 300 off peak minutes on O2. Im sorta in the same boat as you because I would prefer (possibly less) call time minutes at anytime cos sometimes I need to make phonecalls during the day (on-peak) so I have to pay extra which is a bummer :/ How long have you had your contract? The high number of free texts is a good thing. Even if you are living with your guy. Trust me :)
  • Options
    Hi there folks,
    How far are you into the contract year Rainbow Phoenix? Sometiems it's more economical to get a phone on contract with a cheap tariff than paying for a handset and then credit.

Have you looked at online only deals i.e. o2 and vodafone? They're cheaper than what you get in store, usually have a free phone and have soem good deals.

If you're nearing the end of your contract, simply call up customer services saying you've seen a great deal elsewhere (i.e. one of the 3pay ones) where you get this this and this for XX. As such you'd like to leave the contract as it's not suitable for you. They should pass you to disconnections. Tell them about the deal, how much you love your service provider but it's not got what you need. These guys have a lot of power. Chances are to keep your custom they'll give you a new free handset, lower your tariff and throw in some extra texts/minutes.

HOWEVER this won't always work, so be prepared to say you'll call back another time to cancel as you're running late or something.
  • Options
    I'm on an o2 online tariff and due to upgrade at end of this month
  • Options
    Sounds like you should be able to bag a better phone and more suitable deal then. Call them up and ask away :)
  • Options
    Ive been wondering about going PAYG. Ive got simcard that give you 300txts a months.

I pay £25 a month on O2. I get 100 mins and txts, both any time and network. Then i pay £16 for 400 bolt ons and then £5 insurance, but still my bill comes to £80 a month. Ive been on the contract 2 1/2 yrs and upgraded my phone once. First time i couldnt be bothered getting a new one and now i just like the phone ive got. prob better cancelling this contract but i just like it ebing easy, dont have to top up or run out of credit. And if my phone fucks up i can get another.
  • Options
    I have the 500 free text and the 500 free off peak minutes on o2 too and I love it. Always use my minutes in the first week or something though so my bill still comes to like £90. :|

Just took out a contract which has 300 any time minutes to any network with 50 text coz I wanted to D500. Also with O2. Hopefully I'll save money. Some how. :|
  • Options
    I prefer PAYG, I'll only go and spend stupid amounts otherwise, and if I was on contract I'd have to phone up the call centre more often and I get really shy and embarrased :blush:
  • Options
    get a pay as you go o2 simcard where u get 300 free texts.
  • Options
    I have six of those that come on saturday. With free bolt ons or somehting. :D
  • Options
    dont upgrade with them unless you stay on contract- you will get locked in. they also require 3months notice of contract termination so u have loads of time to think about it. for texters the o2 sim with the 3oo free is the best option.
    if you are happy with your current handset just put payg sim in it when your contract finishes...if you do end your contract, prepare for them to be dickheads and charge you for rubbish reasons- i may have just been unlucky though.
  • Options
    I have six of those that come on saturday. With free bolt ons or somehting. :D
    and me except i didnt request them this time :|
  • Options
    If your gonna go to PAYG you might as well wait out your contract because if your half way through it then it's gonna cost a few quid. Why not try just change price planes and get more calls than text or what ever? You'll end up spending more on a PAYG in 12 months than you will on contract if you decide to get a decent fone. If I brought my Siemens fone of PAYG then it would cost £230 then you gotta say spend 10 quid a month on it which will end up being more than what you would pay for a well priced plan.