Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Why are foreign keyboards arranged differently?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently in Brussels, arrived last night and all that - woo, etc. Sitting in some random net café in Place de la something and it's taking me three times as long to type this out. For example, if I was to type the next sentence out properly, it would go something...like this...

So, cqn qnyone tell ,e zhy the keyboqrds qre so fucked up+1 I ,eqn; the Belgiqn qre q developed rqce1 Zhy is everything ,oved+ Itùs just tqken ,e tzenty ,inutes to find the exclq,qtion point; itùs zhere the nu,ber eight should be;

Translation: So, can anyone tell me why the keyboars are so fucked up?! I mean, the Belgians are a developed race! Why is everything moved? It's just taken me twenty minutes to find the exclamation point. It's where the number eight should be.

Comments

• Options
    Spanish ones are slightly different. not much though. but french ones are weird as fuck....different lingo different set up i suppose
  • Options
    But why? It's fucking annoying. ;(
  • Options
    They probably use different letters more often than we do.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't understand it either... The Greek keyboard is arranged like the English one, except that some keys have two letters on them, and which letter is written is set by a program in the OS.
    I tried to use the French setting once, and I had to press A to write M and other weird stuff...
  • Options
    In the summer I was in about 7 different european countries and each keyboard was totally different from the next, it was a nightmare! Like the question mark would be underneath the keyboard and you'd have to hold down about 4 different buttons at the same time...
  • Options
    with mechanical typewriters, if you typed too fast, the print arm from one key would collide with the print arm from the nexty key.

To avoid this, a keyuboard layout was devised that would slow your typing down, and also increase the angle between the print arms of keys often used consecutively. The letter frequencies of different languages vary, ut there was very little international travel - especial of the menial workers who used typewritters, so the qwerty and azerty layouts were born.

When we moved from mechanical to electronic typewritters, the people who did the typing were secretaries, and they were used to the deliberately bad keyboard layout, and so electronic keyboards inherited this layout. (this transition from mechanical expediency to electronic convention also explains why calculator keypads are "upside down").

There were a few failed attempts to make keyoards easier to use - alphabetic order and dvorak for example.

The thing to do is just set the computer to use the layout you are used to, and touch-type. Being an old computer person, I'm used to "international" layout - which has @ on the shifted 2 key. When I use a "properly" set up computer I keep failing to send mail to bill"example.com

Another option would be to buy a twiddler, and plug it in whereever you go.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Now you know eefs.

Glad you got there alright, hope your OK and shit. :)
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    hope your OK and shit. :)
    How can you simultaneously hope someone is OK and shit?

More to the point, why would you hope she was shit?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    More to the point, why would you hope she was shit?

Because he's a L666s barmpot :p
  • Options
    Shut it you southern muppet :p

Kentish - I mean 'and shit' as an alternative to 'and stuff', she knows what I mean :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Shut it you southern muppet :p

I used a cooler word, so I win. :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Kentish - I mean 'and shit' as an alternative to 'and stuff', she knows what I mean :p
    Yeah, you're OK. It was a rhetorical question. ;)

Laugh man laugh. Or at least chuckle.
  • Options
    I see, I'm just not with it tonight!

Seed - you fucking cunt.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Seed - you fucking cunt.

Well, that puts me in my place!
    Fanny.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Well, that puts me in my place!
    Fanny.
    r********ck
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    r********ck

:lol:

Below the belt. Well, below yours, like ;) :yuck:
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Fanny.
    There was so much potentiial for amusement there. But then you go and use anatomically the same insult. :rolleyes:

Rectum reverands the lot of ya
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    There was so much potentiial for amusement there. But then you go and use anatomically the same insult. :rolleyes:

Rectum reverands the lot of ya

Oh, naff off :p

Fanny is a splendid word. There's a road called "Fanny Street" around here, too. [/puerile]
  • Options
    i'm currently using a welsh keyboard ...the whole top row consists of nothing but the letter L,
    vowels are hidden underneath.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Oh, naff off :p

Fanny is a splendid word. There's a road called "Fanny Street" around here, too. [/puerile]
    I had to phone up someone called Mrs Wanck once. I pronounced it Vank of course. :eek:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I had to phone up someone called Mrs Wanck once. I pronounced it Vank of course. :eek:

*splutters*

I've seen a few like that, Krapp was one (pronounced Kraarp, of course ;) ) they never fail to amuse me.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    *splutters*

I've seen a few like that, Krapp was one (pronounced Kraarp, of course ;) ) they never fail to amuse me.
    I told someone that once, and they said they'd seen the surnamce Wancke. Imagine being called Mr Wancke! And not in the school playground.

Then again, even the surname Pratt has been known to put a smile on my face. :blush:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Then again, even the surname Pratt has been known to put a smile on my face. :blush:

:yes:

It's the satisfaction in calling someone "Mr Pratt". Especially if it's fitting. :thumb:
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I've always wanted to see what a mandarin keyboard looks like

Japanese_typewriter.jpg
    Japanese_typewriter_detail.JPG

From memory these pretty much left you with the equivalent of "baby talk"
    I believe the more modern systems are based around building the charaters from the strokes
  • Options
    Some Japanese (I think) people came into college a few months ago, and were telling us about the language.

They said they have standard letters on their keyboards, but when they type the word out, it comes up with the symbol, or something like that. I thought it quite impressive :)
  • Options

There were a few failed attempts to make keyoards easier to use - alphabetic order and dvorak for example.

They weren't failed attempts to make things easier most of them did make typing easier and faster and reduce RSI to the hands - I met the inventor of one such keyboard last year - only trouble is gettng people to accept a totally new layout.

Just by moving the keys around to a more logical layout you can increase a person's typing speed by 50% and of course in courts rooms they have special keyboards to record what everyone says.
  • Options

They weren't failed attempts to make things easier most of them did
    I was unclear. By failed I meant they did not achieve acceptance, not that they didn't meet the goal of making things better.
    of course in courts rooms they have special keyboards to record what everyone says.
    I believe the Americans use chording devices in their courtrooms. I'm not sure we're past using quills in ours.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Now you know eefs.

Glad you got there alright, hope your OK and shit. :)
    I'm grand, pet, thanks. I'm doing ok and shit. Fucking lack of net is doing my head in though. Thanks for the help everyone. :)