Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Laptop screen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I accidently broke my laptop screen, the bottom right quarteer comes up with nothing now (and has a smash mark from where my keys hit it...) I was just wondering if it is possible to get this fixed or a new screen, and about hwow much this would cost me?

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Your best off getting a new laptop for the amount they will charge you for a replacement screen.
  • Options
    But I only had to get a new hardrive for it last month :( Plus I have £600 to last me the next couple of months and cant get a total new thing...

I can live with it for now.... just cant play games i guess.
  • Options
    Go into some small computer shops, or ring people in the yellow pages and ask for quotes, but I doubt it would be worth it to get the screen replaced.
  • Options
    do you have accidental damage insurance on your policy?

I just looked on a site and screens were going for between $299 and $499. Not cheap.
  • Options
    I don't know what insurance I have....the laptop was originally bought through a scheme at my mums place of work. I don't trust it tbh.
  • Options
    I'd suggest asking your mum about the insurance on it then, may be worth it in the long run if like mist is saying, you will be paying upwards of 300 quid.
  • Options
    Thanks YARR man and Moo. Man.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/DanielPalmer1986/IM000115.jpg

Thats the damage btw.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

Thats the damage btw.

Aye, that looks pretty fucked.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

Thats the damage btw.

Its not in the best of shape = \
  • Options
    If it's an Acer, and you've taken out an extended warranty for it, accidental damage will be covered. I get phonecalls about this all the time. Normally, a laptop either gets dropped, or something have been dropped onto it. Phone up Acer, give out the warranty information (in the form of a code number and password) and they'll arrange a RTB for you.

If not, then it is best to claim it under your household insurance. I'd had this happen to a few people as well. One lucky bugger/customer had a free laptop through their school. This kid dropped it and managed to claim it under their school insurance.
  • Options