Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Professional v Amateurs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Football bans.....
This is something that really pisses me off for a few reasons. We all watch the professional game and admire the quality of football played and most of us who play the amateur game would all love to play in the premiership or even the conference for that matter. We in some ways look up to these players and take them as an example.
Right.... Not getting at the scum again but using an example from their game with Arsenal, Rooney was seen swearing at the ref a lot. At one time the ref was asking to speak to him and he was waving his hand walking away saying "fuck off, fuck off, fuck off". I can understand it because I get wound up in a similar way to Rooney when on the pitch.

The thing that gets me is that if I did what Rooney did on a Saturday afternoon, I would be sent of straight away, slapped with a 35 day ban and a £30 fine. Rooney didn't even get cautioned. If he had of being cautioned he would have only got a 1-game ban and I don't know about the fine but it would be peanuts to him. With me playing twice a weekend I could miss 8-games of football.

Does anyone know why there such a massive difference?? Also, surely the professionals are exactly that..... professionals, they are getting paid mega bucks, surely they can behave?? Shouldn't the professionals be made an example of??
We all watch the premiership and see this happen week in and out, we grow up seeing this and then get punished badly when we act in a similar way in the non-professional game.
rant over :mad: :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    That behaviour irritates me in football as well. They've got no respect for the ref it's outrageous really.
  • Options
    I agree although I understand because I can lose it sometimes with the refs when I play. It just gets to me how I would have missed 8 games of football for my actions and Rooney won't miss 1.
  • Options
    You would also have been booked at the start for mouthing off like Vieira did, booked for diving like Cole and Vieira did...

Once again though, it's only Rooney who gets the attention...

Doesn't mean I don't agree with you though, as a referee.
  • Options
    I was just using the game and Rooney as an example.

The point being I would have missed 8 games for telling the ref to fuck off, where as professionals don't get anything. If they do get sent off for telling the ref to fuck off then they only receive a 1-match ban.

Young people mimmick their idols, if they see Rooney telling the ref to fuck off and getting away with it then they will do the same.

I believe its time the pro's got made and example of instead of Amateurs who have no effect on the actions of the rest of the country.
  • Options
    The point being I would have missed 8 games for telling the ref to fuck off, where as professionals don't get anything.

I think it's a case of "could" get a 35 day ban rather than "would" isn't it? Isn't 35 days the maximum?

Anayway, personally, it depends on how the player uses the phrase. I think most adult can distinguish between "normal use" and "use as abuse" and for me that makes the difference. A player can tell me to fuck off, without it being abusing and I will accept it.

In the instance you mention, I would have booked him at least.
    Young people mimmick their idols, if they see Rooney telling the ref to fuck off and getting away with it then they will do the same.

I believe its time the pro's got made and example of instead of Amateurs who have no effect on the actions of the rest of the country.

Couldn't agree more, but it's a case of the same rules being applied rather than a special case being made.

That said, how many sunday league games have video panels?
  • Options
    I think it's a case of "could" get a 35 day ban rather than "would" isn't it? Isn't 35 days the maximum?
    QUOTE]
    Foul and Abusive language, in my league anyway, gets a 35 day ban.
    From 1 game last year I got a 70 day ban and a £70 fine, this was in the first instance saying "for fucks sake" when he sent a mate off, for that I got 35day and £35. After he sent me off I called him a fucking nobhead which I got an extra £35 and another 35 day ban. This all from 1 game, if the same rules applied to the Premier league, just taking Rooney as an example again, just from the Man U v Arsenal game, Rooney wouldn't have played again this year and probably the most of next with the amount of times he swore at the ref.
    I know some refs take a little bit more than others, I've witnessed both sides of the coin. But the bans are still well out of order compared to what the professionals get.
    I come across 1 ref from the County Amateur league about 5 times a season and if you say a swear word in his direction whatever the context you are instantly red carded, leaving you with a 35 day ban. But then there are others where you can get away with a little bit of back chat.
    Couldn't agree more, but it's a case of the same rules being applied rather than a special case being made.
    Dis-agree, professionals are getting paid silly money and should be able to keep there mouth shut, I understand the frustration but i'm positive I could keep my mouth shut if I was getting 40k a week. These are the ambassadors of the game, these are the people young kids look up to and they should be setting the example. It should be them receiving a 35 day ban for telling the ref to fuck off, not me.
    That said, how many sunday league games have video panels?
    Don't understand what Video's have to do with the issue??
  • Options
    Foul and Abusive language

The important part there being "abusive", although that is open to interpretation. And too many refs don't use common sense.

A player can tell me to fuck off and only get booked for dissent. If he calls me a cunt then I do him for abuse.

That said, he would get done for abuse if he called me a cheat or moron too, yet they aren't foul by any stretch.
    this was in the first instance saying "for fucks sake" when he sent a mate off, for that I got 35day and £35. After he sent me off I called him a fucking nobhead

If you got a red for the first comment, then IMHO you were right in your descriptive second comment.
    Dis-agree, professionals are getting paid silly money and should be able to keep there mouth shut

So the more money you earn the greater the ability to keep your mouth shut? Sorry no. The moeny is for his football ability only. Get away from that arguement because it goes nowhere.

The frustration is the same no matter how much you earn.
    Don't understand what Video's have to do with the issue??

It was subtle I know, but I was insinuating that they already have to live with different rules. When a sunday league player gets a three match ban because of video footage then I will have more sympathy.
  • Options
    if they did start hitting the players harder with fans and bans then maybe it would help to cut down on this behaviour. The problem is that the clubs are becoming as big as the FA so the FA arent wanting to upset the clubs and there pre-madonnas.

Someone on my team got sent off for saying "f**king crap decision re" imagine if the refs did this is the pro game, rooney wouldnt last a minute.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    They've got no respect for the ref it's outrageous really.

When you see what's going on in germany I don't think it's particularly unfounded to have no respect for the ref.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    When you see what's going on in germany I don't think it's particularly unfounded to have no respect for the ref.

I do.

It's like saying all lawyers are crooks because a couple have fleeced the Legal Aid system.