Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pass Plus, is it worth doing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My driving instructor told me yesterday about this Passplus course which consists of bad weather driving, night driving, driving in an unfamiliar town or city, etc. which lasts about 6 hours and costs £150, though if you declare you did the course to the insuarance company this can apparently knock quite a substantial amount off your insuarance.

Just wondered if it was worth bothering with, and if anyone has done it in the past? Also would there be anywhere online where I can get quotes for a car taking into account and not taking into account this course? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Seems it's only certain insurers.

http://www.passplus.org.uk/insurers.asp
  • Options
    certain insurers and it usually saves you 20% ish. it is worth doing for the experience though.
  • Options
    It knocked my blokes insurance down from £1200 to 750 quid, so i would say yes deffinatley. It's also a bit more experience and will give you a bit more confidence say going on the motorway for the first time with an instructor sat next to you.
  • Options
    i did it. I think it's worth doing with a different instructor to the one you had for the lessons.

This way you get experience of motorway driving, and you get the general tips in driving that might be different from your other instructor.

Yes, you can get a reduction from your insurance company, too.
  • Options
    I didn't do it when I passed, and I do regret that because it can make your insurance cheaper. Do it while you can, and benefit from the instruction.

But I'm an excellent driver so nae bother. :D
  • Options
    It only makes a difference during the first year of insurance. With some companys it doesn't change the price but with Norwich Union its worth the same as 1 years no claims. I'd only do it if you're going to save money on your insurance unless you're worried about motorways or something else thats covered in Pass Plus.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Personaly, if I was going to anything like that I'd take the Institue of Advanced Motorists advanced drivers test.

But surely the advanced drivers' course is just that. For advanced drivers. A new driver wont be ready and therefore I'd say probably wouldn't pass.
  • Options
    Pass plus is only really useful for two things, getting to grips with motorway driving (i did it by myself and its not an experience i would wish on other people if your not overly confident) and its good to get your insurance down. You have to figure out if the insurance reduction is worth the cost of paying for it in the first place otherwise just point yourself at a motorway and hold on for dear life ;)
    Failing that you could always do what i did for first two years, one i bought a car with free insurance, two i put myself on my fathers insurances as named driver and this reduced quote from £1300 to £300... zurichs the best for that
  • Options
    Sounds good. I'm off to check it up.