Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

GCSE Math

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i am 21 and doing an apprentaship but would really like to get my gcse math
i have got a d 3 times. i have done no math in one year getting a d is so easy for me i just want to get IT OVER AND DONE WITH

do u guy know what is the best exam board to sit it with i heard some have low pass rates to get a C grade
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You can't just choose what exam board to go and do it in. They all have to have similar standards. OK, one year x exam boards GCSE maths may be easier than y's. But the following year y's maths exam may be piss easy.

The best way to do it is do it in the LEA you are in and get your head down. If a "d is so easy for me i just want to get IT OVER AND DONE WITH" just do it.
  • Options
    i can chose what board to do it with it just cost 40 quid to enter and another 60 for the coursework.

i can't do it with my apprentaship they are teaching me level 1 and have told me if i want to do level to then i have to do nvq level 3 which takes two years to compleat ( i finish my nvq level 2 in sept).

their was a news report saying ocr gave b grades for people that got 20% right. ricdiculous as it sound exam boards to have different pass rates even if it a difference of 5%
  • Options
    All of the boards have the same standards, if you keep getting a D it's because you can't use or apply the stuff you need to get a C grade, you will have to learn new stuff and make sure you practice it.
    As for an exam board giving out a B for a 20% pass, thats probably a load of crap, though with the higher tiers etc you need a lower percentage to get the higeher marks but if you get lower than a C grade you get a U. So you have to make sure your sitting the right paper.
    Even if the pass marks are lower, it probably means the exam was tougher so they have to compensate for it.

Bopz
  • Options
    There is no "easy" board. One year a certain board may not ask as many questions about a certain part of the syllabus, but they would ask more about other areas to compensate. The next year it doesn't follow that it would be the same.

So basically, if you can get more than a D then you'll have to work for it, not pick an "easy" board.

Though, to be honest, GCSE maths is piss easy anyway. You should be able to get a C without really trying.
  • Options
    whatever exam board ... you will get a grade based on your ability... there is no getting away from that... otherwise everyone would choose what board to sit with and walk out with high grades!

you want to get a C ... you need to work smarter ... or take it slower so the stuff you are learning sinks in better and you know it when it comes to exams.

Maths is just really about understanding the workings of stuff so you can apply it to any similar question... get a grip of the basics and work up from there.

You could even take your maths GCSE by distance learning so you have the time to digest what you are learning rather than working at everybody elses pace... and you'd get a better grade because you've got the time to get to grips with it and understand it.

Maths, english and science are critical... you can't get very far without them... but there is no easy way around it ... you want the grade... you've got to work for it!
  • Options
    Think about having a personal tutor
  • Options
    If your knowledge of GCSE Maths only gets you a D in one exam board then it will get you a D in another.

The only way I can see an LEA giving a B for 20% is if the exam was extremely hard and no-one managed to get over 50% correct.

Stick with your own exam board and apply yourself - ie get your head down, do the work and then you will pass. There is no other way and you certainly won't get an A in one authority and a D in another. You obviously haven't been working hard enough to get a higher grade.
  • Options
    Yassar2005 wrote:
    their was a news report saying ocr gave b grades for people that got 20% right. ricdiculous as it sound exam boards to have different pass rates even if it a difference of 5%

First of all - 5% isn't that much. So it makes little difference.

Second - 20% for a B grade may be so. But that's probably for the Higher Tier, where you either get a C or you fail. And Hier Tier is FUCKING HARD. If Edexcel gave me a B for 20%, I'd think two things - 1) that that makes me feel really stupid, 2) they fucking suck.

And "I wanna get it over and done with" is not a good attitude towards GCSE's. You think "I wanna do really well" and you'll do better...
  • Options
    u guys are right i know why i have not done well in the past
    the shape and space subject i just seem to skip it but i am gona tackle
    it this year and hopefuly i will pass
  • Options
    Yassar2005 wrote:
    u guys are right i know why i have not done well in the past
    the shape and space subject i just seem to skip it but i am gona tackle
    it this year and hopefuly i will pass

The thing with maths is that most of the questions will be out of about 5. So even if you just write the formula down you will still get one mark. If you do the question, but get the wrong answer due to a silly arithmetic mistake then you will get 4/5.

Most people have their weak points with maths so if you get a question you don't like or not sure how to tackle think of all you have been taught on that subject and write down a small amount. Chances are you'll get a mark for just that.

Never ever EVER leave a maths question blank as, unless you are on the complete wrong track, the chances are you will get one mark for writing something.
  • Options
    I did my maths GCSE 4 times and I got (in this order) E, E, D, D.

I have to admit that after that, I gave up. It's so confidence crushing doing it again and again - though I would advise you to keep at it. You'll get there in the end. I know people that have opted for having a personal tutor and have found it very helpful having 1 on 1 help and passed first time.

I'll probably give mine another go in a few years when I'm finished at Uni if needs be.