Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pill - seven pill free days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, im on the pill as you may already know. I finish taking the packet on a Sunday and i come on my period around thrusday. The four days inbetween is the pill still effective or should i use condoms for those four days? thanks x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How long have you been on the pill?

Bleeding whilst on the pill isn't a period as such, but a withdrawal bleed. This should be on the information leaflet you get with the pill. The contraceptive effect continues whilst on the 7 day break.

Info
    Info2
    Hey, im on the pill as you may already know. I finish taking the packet on a Sunday and i come on my period around thrusday. The four days inbetween is the pill still effective or should i use condoms for those four days? thanks x

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you're covered by the pill even on your pill free days.
    You are covered over your break.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    You are covered over your break.
    How can you be covered on your break if arent covered if you miss one pill while you are taking it?
    *gone*
    Did your doctor not explain about the break when sorting out your pill? Is there no information that you were given?

Honestly, I am pretty sure if I was going to be taking a pill every day that I'd make sure what it was doing to me first.
    I got a leaflet that explained all when my doctor precribed the pill.
    Here's some info from the fpa site:

(The combined pill)

Am I protected during the seven-day break?
    Yes. You are protected during the seven-day break if you have taken all the 21 pills correctly and you start the next pack on time. You start the new pack whether or not you are still bleeding.

Having sex during these seven days is only safe if you start the next pack on time. Never start your next pack late or miss any of the first seven pills in the pack. This is much more risky than missing pills in the middle of the pack. This is because during the seven-day break your ovaries are not getting any effects from the pill. If you make this break longer than seven days your ovaries might release an egg.

:)