Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Get Religion outta our schools, NOW!!!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I don't think religion should be taught as fact. I really enjoyed RE lessons at school and was one of only two people who chose to study it at GCSE level. However, my teacher, despite being a devout Christian never taught anything as fact. He was always careful to say 'Christians believe this' and 'Jews believe that'. He never presumed he was teaching us things we believed to be true and I think that is why I had a greater respect for religious teaching.

Religion does have a place in schools but only when children aren't being forced to participate in mass worship.
    I could live with that.

Your teacher sounds like a nice fella.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What does that prove?

That I have a sense of humour?

Other than that you have to ask how natural selection and evolution led to such an animal... but I wasn't being serious. I added the Babel Fish FFS.
    As for your other point

Did I make one?
    What evidence is there for God? Specifically a Christian one?

There isn't anything tangible, but that doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. Whatever theory you want to go with, there must have been a spark, something which set off a chain of events. No-one can prove what that was and so you cannot rule out divine intervention, neither can you rule it in. We just don't know.

Complete denial shows just as much a closed mind.
    That I have a sense of humour?

Other than that you have to ask how natural selection and evolution led to such an animal... but I wasn't being serious. I added the Babel Fish FFS.

Oh. ha ha. ;)
    Did I make one?

No, that was Fiend_85, my mistake.
    There isn't anything tangible, but that doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. Whatever theory you want to go with, there must have been a spark, something which set off a chain of events. No-one can prove what that was and so you cannot rule out divine intervention, neither can you rule it in. We just don't know.

Complete denial shows just as much a closed mind.

I don't deny the possibility of a God, I never have. What I do take issue with however is people asserting that the weight of evidence is the same for the big bang as it is for god. It clearly isn't.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't deny the possibility of a God, I never have. What I do take issue with however is people asserting that the weight of evidence is the same for the big bang as it is for god. It clearly isn't.
    Why do you persist in taking a creator God out of big bang theory?
    logic faith faith logic where does one end and the other begin :confused:
    Kentish wrote:
    Why do you persist in taking a creator God out of big bang theory?

Because there is no evidence.
    Kermit wrote:
    *yawn*

Why should children be force-fed the disgusting brainwashing of atheism? There's as mkuch proof for the Big Bang as there is for God, or have you forgotten that?

Plank.

You did a law degree, not astrophyics I beleive?
    my only problem with the big bang is that they teach it as fact and automatically dismiss idea of a creator, same goes for people who believe in a creator and automatically dismiss the big bang theory, i think all possibilites should be discussed but thats as far as it goes.
    if it was created ...it would surely be very important to try to get to know why it was created ...what for ...who by ...what are the long term plans ...where do i fit into these plans ...
    if it is all just an accident then it has no meaning whatsoever ...

I'd personally take greater satisfaction and meaning from the fact that every one of my ancestors was sufficiently strong, agile, intelligent and fertile to avoid all of life's hazards, find a mate and have the offspring that over numerous generations finally led to me. I exist because they beat the universe. Their efforts should be acknowledged and respected.
    chaos theory eh
    turlough wrote:
    chaos theory eh

No, evolutionary. :p
    turlough wrote:
    my only problem with the big bang is that they teach it as fact and automatically dismiss idea of a creator, same goes for people who believe in a creator and automatically dismiss the big bang theory, i think all possibilites should be discussed but thats as far as it goes.

I don't know much about astrophysics so am not really in a position to elaborate (nor is anyone else here I beleive) about Big bang theory but was under the impression that this was the best theory of the creation of the universe.

if this is the best theory then why teach others?

I think what is more fundamental than these kind of debates is the philosophy behind them.

A scientific approach is evidence based, religion is all about faith, not evidence etc.
    I think the theory behind religious schools(christian in this case) are mostly sound; they put in place a good foundation of rules based on the teachings of good and wrong as dictated by the ten commandments. This means the children know exactly what is right and what is wrong, according to what they have been taught, the problem arises when the children grow up into a multi-cultural society or more to the point; world.

They find that other religions see things slightly differently, even the same religion for Gods sake (no pun intended) cant make up its mind if its interpretations are correct, and so splits into sub sections of the same faith.

And so different sub sections and religions rub each other the wrong way untill one side snaps and all hell breaks loose, all because the religious leaders were taught as children that their faith is correct and all others are inferior.

Now if the childeren were taught to understand other religions at school in exactly the same ratio as their own, things might be alittle different.
    The reason this doesnt happen is because the church doesnt want to loose their followers to other sects, as soon as they do that, they loose what ever power they have gained over the last 2005 years. The world maybe a better place but what ever the pope says will mean diddly squat, and we cant have that, now can we?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Big bang theory but was under the impression that this was the best theory of the creation of the universe.

if this is the best theory then why teach others?

I think what is more fundamental than these kind of debates is the philosophy behind them.

A scientific approach is evidence based, religion is all about faith, not evidence etc.
    real faith isn't blind ...it's based on the evidence.
    the big theory is fine with me ...but for most people who aren't realy taught much about it ...it just being thrown at them often as a statement leaves out the difficult stuff of the what went bang ...before the big bang there was no matter no space and no time.
    so nowhere to go bang ...nothing to go bang ...and no moment existed for it to happen.
    the bible ...well the bible says that it was all created by gods dynamic energy.
    sounds good to me.
    sounds like a big bang ...
    real faith isn't blind ...it's based on the evidence.
    the big theory is fine with me ...but for most people who aren't realy taught much about it ...it just being thrown at them often as a statement leaves out the difficult stuff of the what went bang ...before the big bang there was no matter no space and no time.
    so nowhere to go bang ...nothing to go bang ...and no moment existed for it to happen.
    the bible ...well the bible says that it was all created by gods dynamic energy.
    sounds good to me.
    sounds like a big bang ...

What evidence?
    As far as I remember religion was thrown at me by people who just ignored me when it came to the difficult questions - give me a break!
    How do you know there was nothing before the "big bang", like possibly an entire universe that has been out there way before god was invented? Or is that also based on the evidence which brings about your faith?
    Uh Huh - "god's dynamic energy" - how the hell did he get here? (You do realise that Man wrote the bible and not that burning bush, well there wouldn't be much left of it if it was!)

Are you serious or am I just being silly and missing the sarcasm again??
    faith schools get better results than secular schools. statistics have shown this increasingly.

it doesnt take choice away from kids IMO
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    it doesnt take choice away from kids IMO
    In theory, maybe it doesn't. But in practise, it does.
    Zalbor wrote:
    In theory, maybe it doesn't. But in practise, it does.

only in the same way that having parents of one faith would, or being made to attend church from an early age.

if someone wants to learn more about religion its all out there for them to find. and no amount of schooling will make someone believe what they don't wanna
    only in the same way that having parents of one faith would, or being made to attend church from an early age.

if someone wants to learn more about religion its all out there for them to find. and no amount of schooling will make someone believe what they don't wanna
    Agreed. But since kids will believe that everything "Mummy and Daddy say is true" then it's up to the schools to let them know that some choices have to be their own.
    What I mean is, having one-faith-only schools isn't helping people accept what's different than them at all. School isn't only about learning information, it's about learning society.
    Zalbor wrote:
    Agreed. But since kids will believe that everything "Mummy and Daddy say is true" then it's up to the schools to let them know that some choices have to be their own.
    What I mean is, having one-faith-only schools isn't helping people accept what's different than them at all. School isn't only about learning information, it's about learning society.

can argue that kids do that more through media than anything else nowadays
    can argue that kids do that more through media than anything else nowadays
    Even so, when their parents and teachers are telling them "Anyone who doesn't believe in God and doesn't visit the Church every sunday will BURN IN HELLLL!" then that's what most of them will believe. And, even if that's wrong, the school's role still is to teach them society.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    isn't that exactly what we have? even at university one of my friends studying law loses marks if he raises points in his essays that criticise the system, because it's not in the marking scheme and if you don't think the way everyone else thinks you must be wrong, no room for interpretation or critical thinking.......pity.

And what university is this?!! Don't believe that for a second, it's a fairy story. You can say what you like provided you provide explanation and a reasoned argument. Under no circumstances can they take marks off you for being critical, in fact that's what most law essays are asking you to do!!
    I agree with what others have said that it is good to teach religion but not preach it. Religion is a major part of the world and I feel it is important children have a basic understanding of God in theory and world religions at an early age. I think children benefit from Bible study. It just doesn't have to be taught as fact. The teacher can encourage quiet debates. I've always thought most of it teaches good morals and values, whether you're a christian or an atheist.

Oh, and noone knows what really started the universe off. You can say the big bang, but what started that? You can say "electric fields" but what started those off? You could go on and on. It makes equal if not more sense than the big bang, that something divine and eternal has been constantly there.
    Nichobo wrote:
    What evidence?
    As far as I remember religion was thrown at me by people who just ignored me when it came to the difficult questions - give me a break!
    How do you know there was nothing before the "big bang", like possibly an entire universe that has been out there way before god was invented? Or is that also based on the evidence which brings about your faith?
    Uh Huh - "god's dynamic energy" - how the hell did he get here? (You do realise that Man wrote the bible and not that burning bush, well there wouldn't be much left of it if it was!)

Are you serious or am I just being silly and missing the sarcasm again??
    i like you ...
    as for MY faith ...i haven't said i've got any.
    am i a believer?
    i'm a questioner.
    the evidence so far ...have you ever seen anything remotely simple ...appear and work ...by accident? a plant ... an internaql combustion engine ...a mobile phone?
    if i told you that any of these t5hings just happened by chemicaql aqccident ...you would have grounds to have me certified maybe.