Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Get Religion outta our schools, NOW!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Cof E has a target of 200 new secondary schools which the Govt has endorsed ( It's not the states role to be subsidising proselytisation is it?? )

If we have CofE schools then we'll have Muslim schools. But doesn't that lead to straight to religeous segregation and apartheid, promoted as a matter of national Govt policy??

Bliar is a feverent advocate of faith schools including the Christian Fundamentalist Vardy Foundation. He has also just appointed a new sec of state for education Ruth Kelly, who doesn't deny being an ass of Opus Dei, the sinister ultra-Catholic Society which expanded and grew under the old Franco fascism in Spainn and is no a World wide spearhead of the most conservative forces in Catholicism ( She can only be an "associate" not a memeber, 'cos Opus Dei admits only men as memebres )

Wooooaaaahhhh, only a fool will rely on Christian schools being liberal, and only a double fool will rely on the Muslims schools not responding in kind to Christian Liberalism.

Religeous indoctrination and segregation should have NO place in schools here in the UK. Our chlidren should be able to learn and work out their idea's without officially imposed or sponsered indoctrination from priests, immams, or rabbis. There should be NO faith in our UK schools.

" Schools should effectively deal in inquiry and reason, NOT faith "

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *yawn*

Why should children be force-fed the disgusting brainwashing of atheism? There's as mkuch proof for the Big Bang as there is for God, or have you forgotten that?

Plank.
    lets get rid of freedom ...lets have conveyerbelt education ...
    Kermit wrote:
    Why should children be force-fed the disgusting brainwashing of atheism? There's as mkuch proof for the Big Bang as there is for God, or have you forgotten that?

some will say that teaching children that the earth was made in 7 days is wrong as it'll corrupt a young mind and make him think weird things, but teaching him that the earth was made from a fire-bomb explosion is alright :yeees:
    J wrote:
    Why the hell do we actualy need to know how the world was created?
    Does it really matter? Surely it's best just to teach people things that will help them whilst we're here?
    Such as?
    lets get rid of freedom ...lets have conveyerbelt education ...

isn't that exactly what we have? even at university one of my friends studying law loses marks if he raises points in his essays that criticise the system, because it's not in the marking scheme and if you don't think the way everyone else thinks you must be wrong, no room for interpretation or critical thinking.......pity.
    J wrote:
    Why the hell do we actualy need to know how the world was created?
    Does it really matter? Surely it's best just to teach people things that will help them whilst we're here?
    if it was created ...it would surely be very important to try to get to know why it was created ...what for ...who by ...what are the long term plans ...where do i fit into these plans ...
    if it is all just an accident then it has no meaning whatsoever ...
    apollo_69 wrote:
    even at university one of my friends studying law loses marks if he raises points in his essays that criticise the system

You don't lose marks, but if you prattle on about how shit the system is without demonstrating the knowledge then you won't get the credit.

You can only criticise when you know the basics.
    The C of E would not have a target of 200 new schools if it didn’t think there was sufficient demand. Despite Britain apparently becoming more secular there’s increasing demand from parents for their kids to go to religious schools. Although I think the reasons for many parents wanting their children in a faith school aren’t religious ones…I think there’s probably a perception that religious schools are more disciplined and as they seem to get better results parents see them as a good alternative.

Anyway from what I’ve heard C of E schools are relatively relaxed/liberal compared to some other religious schools.
    Kermit wrote:
    *yawn*

Plank.

Errrr...what? :confused: Have you lost your mind Kermit?
    what kermit said is true - there is no completely solid proof for either. that said, there are good arguements as to which is more likely, or how the two ideas co-exist.

as for religion in schools;

religeous preaching as fact has absolutely no place is school, again with the brainwashing analogy, it is simply not right to force feed children beliefs from when they are too young to question them.

religious teaching on the other hand absolutely must have a place.
    teaching the ideas of different religions, in order for the kids to make up their own minds as to what they believe to be true. Also to incourage and increase tollerence and understanding of different world cultures and religions :yes:
    Kermit wrote:
    *yawn*

Plank.
    Maybe kids could like... be taught all religions until they do their options and then choose which religion they'd like to learn about after?

Or they could choose their modules in the RE GCSE.

I'd say that kids need to learn about religion, if only to understand people's motives for certain things and also about cultural differences.
    My personal opinion here; take it as you please.

I personally regret going to the local comp and not a nearby catholic school. My grandparents are catholic and though i have been christened and the whatnot, church is not a big part of our lives. Infact it's not any part. I would sort of like it to be.

I was fortunate enough to goto a primary school that placed alot of emphasis on religion (though it was not a school belonging to a religious group). This taught me almost everything i know about the Christian faith, since we never learnt about it in R.E lessons.

I think, though the church may seem outdated to some, setting people on the path for a morally upstanding life is not bad, even if people percieve organised religion to be so. I will probably draw a correlation between the apparent moral decline in society, and the decline in numbers attending church. (I won't define moral decline in society, only that i feel somewhat nostalgic for a Britain in the 1950's - a time i didn't live through and know few people who did, when there was still etiquette and manners, something i don't think there is any more.)

Setting people on the path to a righteous life with respect for one another, and the world around us, is something a religious school can do so much better than a comprehensive school, and i welcome the news of new CoE schools. I think when all todays children have to aspire, and look up to is shoddy pop bands, and footballers, a look at the life of Jesus might do them a whole lot of good.

Attending a religious school doesn't encourage secterianism. If anything it encourages tolerance, that is what faith is.
    J wrote:
    Science, maths, language, philosophy, history etc...

Um the concept of the formation of the world has alot to do with philosophy.
    Um the concept of the formation of the world has alot to do with philosophy.
    Exactly. And history. ;)
    Kermit wrote:
    *yawn*

Plank.

The point isn't whether or not god exists - but whether or not schools should bring children up to adhere to a certain sect or faith.

The question of god and the nature of existence is philosophical by nature - what gets taught by schools is dogma.
    there's definitely more evidence for the big bang than there is for god.
    No there isnt.
    Blagsta wrote:
    there's definitely more evidence for the big bang than there is for god.
    No there isn't.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No there isn't.
    Not that they're mutually exclusive anyway.
    Mutally exclusive or not aside, there still isn't more evidence for one than the other. But indeed, neither is there any real reason to believe that they're mutally exclusive.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No there isn't.

Errr...yes there is. What the fuck is our education system coming to?
    Never heard of the red shift? The background radiation of the universe? What measurable evidence that fits into a scientific hypothesis do you have for a christian god?
    Sorry, just for claryfication - what proof is there that god exists?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errr...yes there is. What the fuck is our education system coming to?
    Never heard of the red shift? The background radiation of the universe? What measurable evidence that fits into a scientific hypothesis do you have for a christian god?
    I didn't say there wasn't evidence for it, but there is as much evidence, seeing as you weren't there and neither was anyone else for the big bang as there is for God. And for that matter as Kentish said, the two need not necessarily be mutually exclusive
    Nichobo wrote:
    Sorry, just for claryfication - what proof is there that god exists?

The Duck Billed Platypus.

and the Babel Fish ;)
    I knew there was something! Thank you! :thumb:
    i was sent to catholic schools, partly cause my family were catholics, but mainly because they were at a better standard than the other schools in my area.

my high school was a little crappy, but my primary/middle schools were amazing. they taught us all the best parts of religion (love thy neighbour, etc), but they never said 'you must/must not...'. they taught us basic respect for each other, and for ourselves. we learned about other religions, and to respect them. we learned about creation, but they didn't say 'this is what happened', they always put it in a 'some people believe this, some believe that'. our school wasn't 100% catholic, more like 60%, and we were always taught that the beliefs and opinions of the 40% were equal to ours.

i think it's a mistake to think that religious schools as a concept is bad. some are great.
    I bow to you madam.

What does that prove?

As for your other point - no, no one was there. But we can infer certain things from the evidence of the red shift etc. Couple that with what we know about the physical laws of the universe, and its a good hypothesis.
    What evidence is there for God? Specifically a Christian one?
    I don't think religion should be taught as fact. I really enjoyed RE lessons at school and was one of only two people who chose to study it at GCSE level. However, my teacher, despite being a devout Christian never taught anything as fact. He was always careful to say 'Christians believe this' and 'Jews believe that'. He never presumed he was teaching us things we believed to be true and I think that is why I had a greater respect for religious teaching.

Religion does have a place in schools but only when children aren't being forced to participate in mass worship.