Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

who do you want??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who will you be voting for in the election based upon their values and beliefs? in a way im quiete proud of the British people as they are not easily swayed by candidates kissing babies and making promises that they cant keep (unlike naive Americans voting for a certain power hungry president) but what do you really believe in?
not sure if this makes sense so an example is...
in a perfect world id take labours unemployment and schooling policy without the student fees, conservatives asylum policy and some aspects of the ukip's exclusion plans from the eu.

Comments

• Options
    None of the above.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    None of the above.

same here - i'm lost really. i feel i should vote - but none of the parties stand for the same htings as me
  • Options
    After the Iraq war incident i swore to myself I would never vote New Labour but I now find that I might vote for them to keep the Tories out.

For a while the Tories and Laboue were fairly indistinguishable but the Tories immigration/asylum plans are so appalling that I would vote for Labour to avoid them

Truly a sorry state when you have to vote for a party you dislike very strongly because the main opposition are so appalling, and I am not any kind of extremist...... :mad:
  • Options
    same here - i'm lost really. i feel i should vote - but none of the parties stand for the same htings as me

You could tactically vote, i.e. for the one you think is least bad and has a chance of winning.
  • Options
    Does anyone know much about the Green party? It's my first time to vote and I know alot of people who voted for them last time round (obviously I'll do my research before voting for them myself) but I'd just rather not vote for one of the big parties.
  • Options
    Does anyone know much about the Green party? It's my first time to vote and I know alot of people who voted for them last time round (obviously I'll do my research before voting for them myself) but I'd just rather not vote for one of the big parties.

personally, i stand for a lot of the things the green party stand for. i think they need more seats and more influence. i think that if they were the dominant party in power though it could be disastrous because they don't have a rounded enough view.
  • Options
    There is no longer any party or ideology I completely agree with, I think all politicians are dishonest, lying shysters but for the lesser of many evils I'll probably go for Lib-Dem.
  • Options
    personally, i stand for a lot of the things the green party stand for. i think they need more seats and more influence. i think that if they were the dominant party in power though it could be disastrous because they don't have a rounded enough view.

Indeed, it might be nice to have one or two MP's from the Green's but they would be diabolical at running the whole country.

Oh well, they wont ever get a seat in the FPTP system.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    There is no longer any party or ideology I completely agree with, I think all politicians are dishonest, lying shysters but for the lesser of many evils I'll probably go for Lib-Dem.
    Yeah the lib dems seem the best out of them all, but they need a chance to prove themselves. I think it would be a lot nicer country under the lib dems and they might be able to sort out the issue of drug prohibition and the ever expanding gap between rich and poor.

And whoever said they like ukip are mad, i'd sooner join europe than america any day - no offence to american people, just the current political air in america is bad and dark and i don't know where the trouble will end.
  • Options
    I doubt I'll be able to vote in the next general election as my 18th birthday isn't until June. If I was able to though, I'd most likely vote Lib Dem. They're the party whose concepts I agree with most.

Spoke to my Mum about this the other day, and she said she was thinking of voting UKIP :nervous:
  • Options
    I'm unlucky enough to live in that part of the UK where the candiates have no policy except for the state of Northern Ireland.

I dream of 2 things. Politicians who actually work for the betterment of their area and of a country where terorists don't literally hold a gun to our heads and threaten violence if they don't get every single thing their way.
  • Options
    I voted IWCA in the London Assembly elections
    http://www.iwca.info/
  • Options
    a big mish mash of policy is best, though if the lib dems actually said what they would do definetly instead of just continuosly oppsing id support them, and im VERY reluctantly supporting labour

im praying for a REDUCED labour majority!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I voted IWCA in the London Assembly elections
    http://www.iwca.info/

No mention of their IRA-supporting background eh?

Probably vote Green myself.
  • Options

Here you go - http://www.greenparty.org.uk/

The Green Party is a good vote, it's a protest but at least they're well intentioned. I might join them actually...

There's absolutely no point in voting for any of the big three, anyone who does will do so through sheer ignorance & narrow mindedness.
  • Options
    what is the policy on asylum everyone is talking about?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    No mention of their IRA-supporting background eh?

i don't have too much of a problem with that
  • Options
    I shall be voting Conservative or Veritas because of their asylum policies.
    I'll also be canvassing for which ever parties policies appeal to me the most around my local area.

I couldn't stand a 3rd labour term, if there's one thing the USA have right, it's only allowing presidents to serve 2 terms.
    If Gordon Brown were to stand for prime minister, maybe i would vote labour, because Gordon Brown strikes me as someone who would do something for the good of the country (much like David Lloyd George) whereas Tony Blair strikes me as someone who's intentions are based around the good of his party.
  • Options
    H-F wrote:
    I shall be voting Conservative or Veritas because of their asylum policies.

Why?
  • Options
    Conservative. Because they are Conservative.
  • Options
    Incisive political analysis as usual Matadore.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    i don't have too much of a problem with that

Why don't you have a problem with the IRA? Or with a party having an IRA supporting background? Do you support the atrocities committed by the IRA in the past?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    because the majority in this country have a problem with the asylum and immigration system that si currently in place.
    you think there is no problem with it, fool you. even the government knows the system is crap.

I didn't ask you
  • Options
    Why don't you have a problem with the IRA? Or with a party having an IRA supporting background? Do you support the atrocities committed by the IRA in the past?

Do you support the atrocities carried out by the British Army in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you support the atrocities carried out by the British Army in Northern Ireland?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I've never understood why people on the left supported PIRA except through short-sightedness.

Why the fuck would Marxists want to involve themselves in a religious & national conflict? And why support people fighting for unification of a country under some kind of theocracy (which Ireland was)?

I wonder what the English working class will make of it all...unless of course the IWCA go the BNP path..."veneers of respectability" eh?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

No.

If the IRA had exclusively targeted the British Army in their attacks I could understand your position. Although I still wouldn’t agree with it. But the IRA targeted innocent people who had absolutely nothing to do with the conflict; normal ordinary people in pubs and out shopping – people who had absolutely nothing to do with whatever wrongs the British Army had done.

Btw, you still haven't answered my questions.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why the fuck would Marxists want to involve themselves in a religious & national conflict? And why support people fighting for unification of a country under some kind of theocracy (which Ireland was)?

your post is a typical mistake people always make in reference to the conflict.
  • Options
    No.

If the IRA had exclusively targeted the British Army in their attacks I could understand your position. Although I still wouldn’t agree with it. But the IRA targeted innocent people who had absolutely nothing to do with the conflict; normal ordinary people in pubs and out shopping – people who had absolutely nothing to do with whatever wrongs the British Army had done.

the UDA was a legal organisation until 1992 by which that stage they killed over 500 innocent people, gonna blame the british government now? no thought not.
  • Options
    No.

I think that a lot of the IRA's tactics were dispicable. But politically they had a point - British rule in Northern Ireland was imperialist and treated Catholics like second class citizens. Look it up, its all in the history books. The British Army and state murdered Republicans in cold blood, tortured them and imprisoned them without trial and commited such acts as Bloody Sunday. From a Republican point of view (and my mum is a Northern Irish protestant so I know a little about both sides), police and army in Nothern Ireland were legitimate targets. Now I don't necessarily share this view but I do understand it.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    wlel i am telling you!

i know your opinion, I'm asking for H-F's opinion